Recommended lens for Nikon D7100

MoonGoddessMoonGoddess Posts: 4Member
edited March 2013 in Nikon Lenses
I am in the process of purchasing a Nikon D7100 and I was after recommendations of a lens that will take advantage of the cameras sensor.

From all the reading I have done thus far the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G seems a suitable lens for my needs within my price bracket (£400-£450). Would this be the be the best lens for my needs (I primarily photograph architecture and nature)?
Post edited by MoonGoddess on

Comments

• KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    Hi. If architecture and nature are 90% of what you shoot, I'd lean towards the Tokina 12-24, or wait for its update (12-28) which was just announced in January. Maybe one of the Nikon wide-angle zooms. Then if you need to, add one of the 1.8 primes.

I only lean away from the 16-85 because it's older is expected to be replaced soon and it's not greatly better than the 18-105 (though some would argue that - I think it's largely due to manufacturing irregularity).

If you shoot normal stuff 49% of the time and architecture & nature (and define nature as animals vs. landscapes), then yeah you're looking at the right lens. How much of a hurry are you in?
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    If by Nature you include wild animals and birds, then 85 isn't long enough - heck, 300 is hardly long enough so save money on the (excellent) 16-85VR, get the (excellent) 18-105 and the 70-300 VR and you will have most things covered for not too much more than the body and 16-85VR. OR, if you are against lens changes, get the tamron 18-270 or similar and accept the compromises.
    Always learning.
  • MoonGoddessMoonGoddess Posts: 4Member
    edited March 2013
    Thank you for your replies and I apologise for being a little vague with my initial post.
    If by Nature you include wild animals and birds, then 85 isn't long enough - heck, 300 is hardly long enough
    Being more specific my nature photography encompasses landscapes, trees, flowers opposed to animals and birds (I am looking to photograph them eventually though).
    If you are against lens changes, get the tamron 18-270 or similar and accept the compromises.
    I am more than happy to have multiple lenses as I am not one for compromising on quality for a tiny bit of convenience.
    How much of a hurry are you in?
    I will take delivery of the camera in a few weeks and I have two shoots planned for mid April, so time is rather short :(

Regarding a wide angle lens would the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED lens be worth going over budget for?
    Post edited by MoonGoddess on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Achitecture and landscapes? 16-85 is a good place to start, and then add the 11-16 Tokina perhaps.
    Always learning.
  • ChromiumPrimeChromiumPrime Posts: 84Member

Regarding a wide angle lens would the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED lens be worth going over budget for?
    Absolutely great lens!

I never thought I would part with my Tokina 11-16 but after getting the 10-24, I couldn't justify keeping the Tokina. The range and freedom of the 10-24 over the Tokina coupled with the IQ is definitely worth the it. One point for the Tokina though is that it's really built like a tank... not that the 10-24 is cheaply built or anything.

If you haven't purchased the D7100 yet and you still want a normal range zoom then consider SnP's suggestion of getting the 18-105 and add the 10-24 to it. However if your budget allows only one lens then, for your stated needs, go with the 10-24.
    Way too much gear & way too few photos :-O
  • canoneosrebel425canoneosrebel425 Posts: 3Member
    This is my 4th DSLR. Before this, I had a Kodak DCS-460c, a D70, and a D80. The latter two are still very capable cameras as long as you're not too obsessed about pixel peeking. When it comes to actual images, I had a hard time finding fault with either. I just used the D70 to shoot some downhill long boarding this past summer, and the high flash sync helped me grab some pretty great shots in poor lighting conditions. In fact, I'd probably still be using it primarily if I hadn't dropped it about a year after buying it. I replaced it immediately (out of necessity) with a D80, which has been a workhorse of a camera (a year and a half ago, I figured out the problem with my D70 and fixed it myself, that's how I was able to use it again more recently).
    [url=http://2013-new-nikon-d7100-digital-cameras.blogspot.com/]2013 New Nikon D7100 Digital Cameras[/url]