Lens recommendation!

2»

Comments

• jamilsjamils Posts: 28Member
    Thank you verrryy much people you are extremely helpful! i am settling with the 18-270 tamron for now...a friend might lend me his 18-105 and i would get the fish eyebut most likely i am getting the 18-270
  • jjdarlingjjdarling Posts: 59Member
    New York City is probably the safest city in America right now. I live in Manhattan, work in Brooklyn, have friends who live in Queens, and do a lot of volunteer work in the Bronx, and there are very few times I've felt the slightest bit unsafe or thought twice about brandishing camera gear.

This is definitely not 1973 NYC.

Having said that, the best part about the city is the people. Strangers whom you might want to photograph are either used to it or are dressing/acting a certain way to get attention, so you can get plenty close. For DX, the 35mm 1.8 is perfect. Most places in Manhattan are adequately lit that you'll never need a flash outdoors at midnight.

Also, get on a train on an evening when the weather is nice and you can usually count 3 or 4 tripods on board. Plenty of photogs in the city.
    www.jjdarling.com
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Good to hear! Maybe a photowalk around Manhattan is in my future then.
    Always learning.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @spraynpray: If you do...make sure it is in the day and pack light and take your backup..backup camera. Don't roll the dice with your good gear in any area that you may get jacked...if you know what I mean.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • jjdarlingjjdarling Posts: 59Member
    Everybody has their own comfort levels with their gear, but most places in NYC very likely have a lower crime rate than wherever it is that you live. I've taken some of my favorite photos in Harlem, Brooklyn, and underground in the wee hours.

Having said that, apply common sense, don't leave valuables lying around unattended, etc. If you ask somebody to take your photo, choose somebody you can outrun!
    www.jjdarling.com