SB-920 - Is A new Nikon Flash coming?

Comments

• itsnotmeyouknowitsnotmeyouknow Posts: 481Member
    Yet you haven't posted a link to a single example of any reputable, Nikon authorized seller offering a new SB-910 w/ actual Nikon USA warranty (not grey market or some crap 3rd-party USA warranty) for, say, $435 (per your original post).
    It is against NR policy to post links - and you know that. And you also know that Nikon banned Grey market flashes in the US a year ago.

I typed in the search again in google and I found 10 ACTUAL stores all selling them for under $460 on the first page. I have been, and stood inside 4 of them. NOT GREY MARKET, NOT BAIT AND SWITCH, NOT REFURBISHED - All Nikon USA warranties, brand new in the box, and the stores are Authorized dealers or large box stores. Follow MsMoto's link to ebay - you can find the stores selling them and search for them on google if they are not pulling up for you. Most of them are actual storefronts that use ebay to sell as well.

I'm not sure what you guys are doing, but each time I search it's like a pinata burst open.
    DigitalRev are reputable but are Hong Kong based and while you would get a warranty, it wouldn't be a Nikon USA warranty, but a DigitalRev warranty. i was looking at getting a D800e to back up my D800, and the price wasn't cheaper enough to forego a UK warranty. They said that there was a UK warranty in place, but when you dig deeper into it, it isn't a manufacturer's warranty. You have to pay to get it fixed after getting approval and get the money back. The alternative is that they send a courier to pick up the item and it gets sent to and from Hong Kong.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    2 years ago I bought 2 SB900s from one stop digital in HK and save £100 on each
    But today the saving is only £30
    they arrive quicker than an order for somthing else, placed the same day from a supplier in London
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    I DID NOT START THIS THREAD FOR A DISCUSSION ON POTENTIAL BAD SELLERS - Stick to the topic please. If people are interested in learning about bad sellers then please start a new thread.

I'm not a moron - I know what grey market products are, scam sites, bait and switch. None of the ones I'm finding are those.

Ade if that is the only stores you will buy from then shut up and go spend $100 more. Stop trying to hijack the thread so it is about you and not the topic. If you don't' know how to search the internet well enough, the burden is on you to learn better skills. Stating that I must justify how I search is just like saying the world is flat and I must prove it is round. The issue lies with you, not anyone else.
    As for google searches: please remember that depending on what Google knows about you (location, search history etc) you might get different results on the same search terms!
    This must be what is happening as I know Google also keeps track for what you search for and the types of products. I have also seen some legit large stores post different prices through links or if you have purchased there before. Overstock.com, DigRev, BestBuy, Sears, and many, many more all have these types of systems linked through google. They probably know I buy accessories with stuff ;)

I searched again and found 8 right off the bat under $460 again. Most all are in the midwest where I live.

POINT BEING - The sb-910 has never sold this low before (even from shady dealers) -
    Is A new Nikon Flash coming?
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    I doubt it. The SB900/SB910's are too young to be replaced. They might just try to give the sales number a shot in the arm. One also sees similar CLS ready flashes from third parties with more oomph for less money (Isn't the new Metz flash CLS ready?)
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I think the point has been made...prices are low for some suppliers and I think the question is a valid one....Could we be looking at an update for the SB-910?

So, if anyone has any supportive ideas regarding this, let's hear them. But, we do not need to attack the OP for a simple question.

If anyone has some evidence to support the possibility of a new flash....go for it.
    Msmoto, mod
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    Topic: SB-910 price drops, pointing to SB-920 release?

Answer: No, the SB-910 price didn't drop, so no clue about SB-920 release. Maybe it's coming. Maybe it's not. Who knows.

Aside: the same "shady dealers" from Google are listing the Nikon D4 as low as $2530 including tax and shipping. That's pretty low "even from shady dealers".

By this thread's logic, are we also to believe a D4 replacement is coming soon?
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    Sign me up for one of those $2,500.00 D4s!

Nikon keeps such a tight lid on new camera bodies I wouldn't expect many leaks about a flash to replace the SB910 if there was one in the offing.

I doubt anyone has any information as is seen from the lack of any relevant response to the question presented.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Please forgive my deviation of the topic...but I had to share this with you my dear friends here on NR.

A friend of mine came across one of these D4 BS (add's listing $2200) in LA via Criagslist and asked what I tough of it. I told him: he or she that is going to fall for such a deal should check if their is a sign above his or her head that reads: "Sucker!" I gave him very specific question to ask and very much to the point. He got an email that he forwarded to me that had the following in it. Should anyone of you get such an email and acts upon it...by all means delete your account on NR because we don't need such fools in this medium!

Email: "Hello. I must tell you, from the beginning, that I have moved to London, United Kingdom (Europe) because I have finished my work contract. I have worked there, for one year and now I came back home. I hope this is not an inconvenience. If you are interested in buying, then I will answer your questions and I can arrange a delivery to your location, of course free of charge.

The delivery company that I have discussed with, has a very strict policy for international transactions because everything must go smooth. After I bring them my camera, they send you the invoice and your tracking number so you can check the location of your package. I will also send you the scanned copies of the receipt. After that, you have to make the payment to them as a warranty. If the payment is not received, the package does not move. After you receive the package, you have 5 days to inspect it but, I believe you can do it faster. When you confirm that everything is ok then, they transfer the money to my account. If you are not satisfied then they will transfer the money back to you. This is very easy and also the safest for both of us. Other way I won't accept. If you are interested then send me your details and I will arrange the delivery."
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • CorrelliCorrelli Posts: 135Member
    @Golf: your friend should answer the mail and tell the sender that this is a nice coincident as one of his best friends live in London so he could pick up the camera an no delivery company needs to get involved. ;)
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    P.T. Barnum is supposed to have summed it up well....

"There is a sucker born every minute."

However, Barnum actually never made this statement.... :O
    Msmoto, mod
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    I am sure some NR members living in the UK would be happy to pick it up and play around with it for a few months before sending it on to one of us here! No problem with shipping that way. You really could get direct delivery and I am sure once the seller hears that he will respond that the camera has already been sold.
    edited April 2013
    Note the scam dear friends: "After that, you have to make the payment to them as a warranty." Warranty for what? This is the trick these mofo's have come up with in getting your money. Moreover, 5 days? Hmmm lets see, so if they say they did not get a response back from the buyer in that time frame due to "technical problems" be it their ISP, network or the other hundred of things that can go wrong, they will come back and say our system automatically transfers the funds after the 5 days....sorry but the transaction is complete. One could also question when does the 5 days really start? It is all just pure SCAM....more like pure robbery. Don't do it!

Ok back to the topic: Having looked at a number of sites on line via the methods that TTJ and others have conducted, I have to confirm that I was very successful in reaching out to a number these online sellers...they are all selling Nikon USA (Not gray market) SB 910 in the $460 range. I also asked if they had any insight if Nikon is in the process of coming out with a replacement for the 910 or adding to their flash family...none of them had a clue. If Nikon is coming out with a SB 1000 or what ever they decided to name it...no one knows. That being said, if you are in need of a new flash...this is a great price for a fantastic flash.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    Golf, thanks for sharing the story. If someone happens to pay the phony "delivery company", then the "seller" can just wash his hands and claim that it should be dealt between the buyer and the "delivery company". He can even claim that he "lost" his camera to the "delivery company" too. Damn the scams are getting really sophisticated these days and people have to be extra careful.
    With Canon coming out with a radio wireless flash I think Nikon can't be too far behind. It's been Nikon flash system that has had the upper hand over Canon until recently. I have a hard time thinking the SU-800 and SB-910 will get a refresh.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    The only thing I'm having trouble figuring out is if Nikon, who has no problem charging higher prices for their newest re-creations, does come out with a radio wireless flash - what price would they put on it? With the practically still relatively young SB-910 retailing at $546 USD, how much more would they want for this new "SB-9xxR" ? Also would it be feasible to buy such a $$$ flash instead of just putting out for a separate wireless radio system and attaching it to your current system?
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

I look at most new releases as a great time to buy the previous model that I was pining over forever. Price will be what it will be. The idea/definition of "expensive" is different with each individual's needs/means.
    They could charge $150 more easily - consider pocket wizards add more than that for each flash. Canon's 600EX-RT MSRP $630 But seems to be selling for $560. I'm sure it will be high at first and settling around the same price.

I do have to say, Nikon does overcharge for Bluetooth, GPS and Wifi 100 fold. Everyday we see various devices/accessories for phones with these technologies for under $20. Why Nikon thinks this tech is "new" and should gouge customers on the price, I'm not sure.

I look at the technology that has been the same for almost 10 if not longer (depending on what you call updates to the system) and not specific flashes for my thoughts on it. I'm not sure where Nikon will go with wireless, If they went WiFi that would change the opportunities for sure. Being able to control an entire studio set-up from a laptop/tablet from camera to lights, and seeing the image exactly as taken that would be sweet! I know it exists partially, but control of lighting is not there at all. Seems as a logical as the next step for camera bodies, accessories, and flashes.

The other thought I had was the SU-800, and it has been the same for 8 years. If they updated that, came out with their own wireless accessory system, that would be great. But then price plays how great it is. As the SU-800 is now, it still works great.

Reference: (Best dates I could find - let me know if they need updating.)
    SB-910 - Nov 30, 2011
    SB-700 - Sep, 2010
    SB-900 - July 1, 2008
    SU-800 - Nov, 2005
    SB-R200 - Nov, 2005
    SB-600 - May, 2004
    SB-800 - Jan, 2003
    SB-80DX - Feb, 2002
    @TaoTeJared: not in the same league, but the SB-400 came out in December 2006.
  • GitzoGitzo Posts: 174Member
    edited April 2013
    2:50 AM Friday; Have been online looking for a price for something I want to buy; Found a "deal" on the SB-910; I have the link copied, but someone says we can send links; Closeoutdigital.com $ 399.99
    Has anyone ever done business with them ? They are saying this is a special for a short time. I would like to buy it, but I'm looking for something else, so I can't spend the $$$ right now.

Question; why can everyone send links to things on PAD, but not on here ? and can we send a link in a personal message ?
    Post edited by Gitzo on
    @ TTJ.......I was just reading what you were saying there TTJ; you think Nikon is "over charging".....yeah, I kinda think so too; but here's what I don't understand; I want to buy the R1Ci system; two SB-R200 speed lights, one SU-800 command module, the ring that holds up tom 4 lights, gel set, etc; the going price at B & H (and I think Adorama AND Amazon, is $719 for the system in the big black box; So I go on eBay, do a search for the R1C1, and I find about 3 dozen sellers asking 3 dozen different prices, like $ 768, all the way to over $ 900 ! Are there really people out here that are stupid enough to spend $200 more than what B & H is asking for t same thing ?

You say the SB-R200 has been out since 2005 ? and we STILL can't get any deals on the things ? Yet here's a real company selling the SB-910, the newest thing out right now, for $400 ; it makes no sense to me !
    I even thought about buying the rings and even the SU-800 on eBay used......can't even find the dumb things!
    I gotta go to bed.........
    edited April 2013
    I saw that one at CloseoutD... and another one for the same price at another store that had the exact price/description. Not to sure what to think about them. There have been a bunch of big box stores (regional best buy like stores) closing everywhere as X-mas didn't bring the $$ they needed. I have bought headphones etc. from online clearance centers like this. One thing I always look for is if they rate DSLR camera batteries in Minutes and not shots. That seems to be the bait and switch sales tactics across the board.

I'm not sure what is up with the R1C1 - If as you said, it is a SU-800 ($250) and 2 SB-R200 - If you say they are more than a SB-400 ($120), (which they are) and less than a SB-700 ($325), split the difference you are at just under $250 for each flash. That get one to the $700 price. Now interestingly you can buy them at B&H for $165. Do the math, 2x165 + 250 = $580 - buy them separately!

Most what you see on amazon that has ridiculously high prices is a setting for sellers to have lower prices when inventory is high (to move stuff) and then raise the price when stock falls. The idea is that if it is a high demand product, then the price will rise, and stores can make more margin. Problem is, when there is just a few left on products with zero demand the price goes up since it is only tied to stock levels and not sales numbers. For some industries that may work, but digital items that are outdated is not one of them.

Ebay has them - selection is thin though and setting up auto email alerts is the best way. I got one for $175, but I had daily searches set up for 3 months till it came with a "buy it now" price. Usually used one's go for $200-ish.
    Use this as the search: Nikon (SU800,SU-800)
    Set it to "used", USA only (or your location), max price of $225.
    With that you will get about 3-6 units per week.

Post edited by TaoTeJared on
    2:50 AM Friday; Have been online looking for a price for something I want to buy; Found a "deal" on the SB-910; I have the link copied, but someone says we can send links; Closeoutdigital.com $ 399.99
    Has anyone ever done business with them ? They are saying this is a special for a short time. I would like to buy it, but I'm looking for something else, so I can't spend the $$$ right now.
    I've already posted the names of numerous reputable stores. Please don't be taken by all these other sites claiming to sell genuine Nikon USA products for hundreds less. Most are just scams.

These sites change names often and "game" review sites with fake reviews. If you actually place an order with them here's what happens:

1. You get an email confirmation.
    2. In a day or two, you'll get a phone call from them to "confirm the order", or to inform you that something was wrong with your order (your credit card was declined, etc.). Or, your order status will just sit as "pending" for days until you call them.
    3. In either case, once they get you to talk to one of their "representatives", the high pressure sales tactic begins. They'll tell you that you need some accessory that's not included (for $$$), or there's a better product you should upgrade to (also for $$$), or you've mistakenly ordered a model that is not for sale for the US, etc. They'll tell you this is a "limited time offer" to get you to agree.
    4. If you decline to pay the extra money, then the product may mysteriously go on "backorder"
    5. Then when you try to cancel, they'll claim the product is "already on the way", but the shipping tracking number they give you doesn't work.
    6. Or they will claim that your order is "already processed" and that you'll have to pay a "restocking fee" if you want to cancel (they really hope you cancel and let them keep the "restocking fee")
    7. Meanwhile, your credit card was already charged from day 1, sitting in their bank account as float.

Bottom line is you'll never receive the product or will receive something less than what you've ordered, unless you agree to pay inflated prices during one of their high-pressure calls. Even then you're not guaranteed to receive anything.
    edited April 2013
    @ TTJ........Thanks a lot.....I'm going to try that...I think I'll itemize each individual item in the whole "system", and if it all adds up to less than $719, I'll just order everything from B&H; I do want all the "gadgets" (plus any documentation or "how to" info, but I'm not the least bit concerned with the "big black box" the "system" comes in! ( I can't stand all these hokey adverts with el-cheapo/crapo "tripods" lens pens, filters, and wannabe "ultra mega zoom, 1000mm ultra-telephoto lenses, all for a "special price!)

@ Ade.......Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain all that, Ade; it's one of the reasons that I usually order things from people that I KNOW I can trust, even if they don't have the absolute lowest advertised lowest price.

The exception of course, is eBay; I have had pretty good luck over the years with eBay sellers; one thing I will NOT do......is take phone calls from anyone, relative to a sales transaction; partly because my hearing is really bad, and partly because I don't want ANYONE outside of family to have my cell phone #; ( I'm not about to foot the phone bill for someone trying to screw me!) BTW.......I recently read all four pages of replies to the thread about " AA filters being left off sensors on new cameras"; some VERY "technical stuff" being discussed there ! ( with some very impressive knowledge from ALL sides! )
    Post edited by Gitzo on
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    My SB910 was purchased for an equally great priced deal. Simply by my having showed several examples where the other retailers had current lower advertised prices, knowing they are willing to price match to keep the sale.
    I payed $449.99 Canadian & 5% gst... So $472.49. Keep the copper, buddy!!

It seems like a steal!? Smile
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

Not bad! Most of the Canadian retailers have been discounting the SB-910 for the past several months. E.g, Henry's (Canada's largest camera retailer) has it for $459 w/ free shipping (vs. $546 at B&H).

Now is one of those few times when some Nikon items in Canada are cheaper than in the US. (In addition to the SB-910, the D3200 and D5200 kits are also cheaper in Canada right now).
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Golf007sd and other...thanks for sharing that great scam. Let me share a similar story only I was the seller and the scammer was the buyer. I put my D300 up on Craig's List in August and I got an email from a buyer in California who asked me to call him. After a very few questions he offered to buy it for $100 more than I was selling it and that extra money was to pay for Fed Express Priority shipping. When I hung up something just did not sound right to me.

He sent me an email confirming the price and he asked me to send him the camera and to post the tracking number with this third party company and as soon as that company got my tracking number they would have PayPal release the money to my PayPal account. Within minutes I got this fake email from PayPal indicating that they had received the money from the buyer and were holding it pending my clicking on their link to add the tracking number and of course they would immediately release the funds to my PayPal account. The email had the correct PayPal logo and color bars...it looked real except it was NOT addressed to me...only my email address. In case you don't know, all PayPal correspondence starts with your first and last name.

As a 10+ year member of eBay and PayPal I called PayPal fraud customer support and they confirmed that that individual did NOT have a PayPal account and after I answered a few question they confirmed that the PayPal email WAS NOT from PayPal. They had me forward the emails to them and he confirmed it was not theirs and so they could turn it over to their department to find the individuals. He was very happy that I had not used the fake PayPal link.

I also followed up and filed a complaint with the Wisconsin State Attorney General's office for investigation.

As several people said, their are suckers born every minute and we have to use caution to avoid these scams. They are getting more complex too. I have had good experience on eBay except for one bad experience on buying a memory card. That is why all my memory card purchases are from B&H, Adoroma, or other store front that stands behind what they sell.

Not back to the topic. I would expect a replacement to the SB-910 only if Canon added new features to their flash. I sure don't understand these low p;rices on the SB-910...this is tempting.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |