Weather sealing -- How much of a factor does it play for you

13»

Comments

• HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    My mother-in-law knit me a pair of fingerless gloves (only the first segment of my finger is exposed). Allows me to control the camera but keep my hands warm. I've been out in the cold for a couple hours and always felt my fingers stand warm enough.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Clothing, personal weather protection, as noted above...thread ....

http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/778/recomendations-for-winter-clothing/p1
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I get reynauds badly in my fingers so I have a pair of very warm thermal gloves which are fingerless plus have a mitt that is held back by velcro and pulls over your bare fingers when you're not twiddling controls. Lifesavers!
    Always learning.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    there is a thread on winter clothing

http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/778/recomendations-for-winter-clothing/p1

plus one to layers and keeping your core warm

Thanks, the search functionality isn't so great on these forums.

Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Well currently, I'm in Poland and their is a lot of show around at it is about -2C. While in Hungary, I unfortunately misplaced my beloved Aquatech Sensory Gloves. They worked great in keeping me warm on many shoots. Will get one again once back in the state.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    Funny, one admin gives the link to the "correct" thread and the other continues with clothing instead of weather sealing. Good it's not that strict with those slightly off-topics :D
    We try to be very relaxed here...... cold weather clothing......

Msmoto, mod
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited January 2015
    @Msmoto - Let me try to help. From my perspective, I like the weather sealing on the lens since once in a while I am outside in the snow or dripping rain. Then I don't worry about the rain getting into the lens or into the DSLR around the lens mount. And I would only buy a DSLR that has some level of weather sealing.

If it rains, out comes my camera/lens jacket and I continue shooting until a downpour. Then I stop - unlike a duck, I prefer to stay reasonable dry. LoL

So yes, I would pay a little more for weather sealing on a lens and DSLR body.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    I prefer lenses that dont suck ...... air .. :-) I have 2 .. one has the reputation of being able to survive a foot or 2 of submersion :-) but I will never try it .. I have no qualms about taking it out in the rain :-) well maybe a qualm or two but I would if the image requires it.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

No doubt, weather sealing of some sort is an advantage in situations where the forces of nature are overwhelming. An example, at our NRF Get together in New England, I was carrying around the D4 & 400/2.8 with a monopod, the wind was so great the camera and lens would literally be lifted out of my hands....while no heavy moisture was in the air, the dirt/dust were. Having a sealed lens was reassuring..... especially when a gust of wind will lift 6 Kg (13 lbs) out of your hands.
    NRF_Hampton_III_03.26.14-2
    Msmoto, mod
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    With regards to weather sealing, I wouldn't buy a professional camera and lenses if they were not at the very least considered weather sealed. The fact that Nikon thinks about it, and actually advertises it, is OK for me.

I take my D800 and D810 everywhere, and living in Greenland that's saying a lot. I haven't had serious problems even though I have had snow/ice in the camera body, an iced up TFT monitor, saltwater on my sensor, and been on the receiving end of 40m/s snowstorms (makes the "Blizzard of 2015" look like a normal Sunday afternoon), I have yet to ruin anything permanently.

Nikon weather sealing works...
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member

Nikon weather sealing works...
    Yup. The only trouble i've had is that the eye cup of my D700 has rusted on. At least that's what the techs a Nikon suggested as for the reason we couldn't remove it. :D
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    edited January 2015
    I use the Nikon DK-17/DK-19 combination on my bodies, and have not experienced they get stuck. It did take a few tries to figure out that to loosen the eyepieces, I had to "close" the eyepiece shutter, and turn the rubber cup. I have wasted a few of the DK17s, as they scratch real easy...
    Post edited by Killerbob on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Yes, I know you need to close the eye piece cover (open it's "locked"). It's the techs at Nikon that said they couldn't get the Dk-19 off without cutting it. I said I'd just buy another one for my D800 rather than transferring it. They wanted $250 to work on the D700 and I just laughed and left.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I thought that it is nice to have because it at least stops cr@p getting into the camera around the buttons etc but since shooting a wedding in really horrid conditions, I have changed my opinion to essential...
    Always learning.
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    edited January 2015
    It matters quite a bit to me since I will often be out shooting in the rain (not downpour, but I have been caught in a downpour once or twice before I was able to get home).

After drying it off with a towel, I immediately put it in my camera bag with a bunch of silica packets just in case. ;)
    Post edited by Hammie on