Travelling with gear

newfoundlander61newfoundlander61 Posts: 26Member
edited August 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Heading out to Newfoundland next week with a body and a 80-400 lense, one 50mm lense and was wonder about the best way to take this with me. The measurements on Westjet for carry one baggage is (21 in. x 9 in. x 15 in.) , personal item is (16 in. x 6 in. x 13 in.). Weird why their is different sizes, as both end up being carried on. My current camera bag is larger than this so checking it in instead of carry on is not something I would like to do. Any tips on how to may sure it comes with me on the plan, no issues with buying a different case. Thanks.

Comments

• scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    edited August 2014
    I think airlines are really starting to crack down on what people carry onto a plane, some of this is just plan courtesy to others and some of it is so they can charge for more checked bags (the courtesy part is people stuffing two bags in the overhead and then there is not enough room for people that haven't boarded the plane yet, one bag is for the overhead and one below the seat in front of you). For the 21x9x15 size I use a pelican 1510 case for my camera and equipment. As another warning this case is around 14 lbs with nothing in it. Most airlines have started to actually pickup my case, if its over 40 lbs they say I have to check it or distribute the weight somewhere else, like my other bag. I have seen it happen but hasn't happened to me yet. I was carrying one camera, one lens, charger and some clothes since it was a very short trip when the guy in front of my got nabbed by the airlines. They did pickup my bag but then past me up since it was not very heavy.

The secondary bag is like a purse or a backpack, this is where my problem comes. All the backpacks I have used to fit underneath the seat in front of me but since the addition of all the monitors and movies I believe part of the foot room I used to have has been taken up with some sort of box attached to the seat in front of me. Now most of my pack backs don't fit here without stuffing the crap out of it. I believe this is why they now have a secondary bag size, before this was not the case.

In the future I see my camera equipment getting downsized unless I drive. The only good thing I see in the future is the fact cameras are getting better at high ISO's so you can go a head and buy that Tamron 150-600 and leave the huge primes or 200-400 at home and not be totally stuck. Image quality might be a bit lower but if I lose a $1000 lens Vs a $5000+ lens I won't feel as bad in the end, less stress while traveling.
    Post edited by scoobysmak on
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    I would take ether my Lowepro flip side 300 or 400AW
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    I really think you will be fine carrying it on. I took my whole lowe pro flipside backpack with body, 17-55, 35 f1.8, 300 f4 and 105 f2.8 plus whatever else I have and didn't have a problem. Just put it under the seat in front of me or worst case in the overhead.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited August 2014
    I think airlines are really starting to crack down on what people carry onto a plane, .
    They certainly are
    They are also complaining about a down turn in sales

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    I'm assuming you are checking your luggage and trying to carry on 2 camera/bags? I'm a bit confused by that. Also what type of activities are you planning? Hiking, walking, mostly shooting from a car/bus, etc.

I have traveled a ton on planes small and large, and there is nothing worse than having too big of bags flying. If all you are taking is a body, 80-400, a 50 and that's it, that really is no gear at all. Camera bags are way over padded and really are not conducive to air travel. I have found that cramming everything in a photo bag and taking that on a plane works. I always have two bags - one when I'm flying, and another when I'm shooting. This is just one of those times there is never a perfect bag. Really, you have two completely different end uses. 1) Travel on a plane where ergonomics don't matter, and 2) the normal walking/hiking around bag you probably are use too.

Usually I travel to one spot, and am working out of a hotel room where I return every night. With that in mind, when flying my first concern is to keep my gear as close as possible to me, and not show off what I have. My second concern is to keep it from getting too banged up and in a distant third is ergonomics. I will then pack a bag in a checked bag for when I get to my location to work from when I'm there.

I have packed a good photo backpack in a rolling tote bag with shoes, tripod, large coats, and other non-breakable items and checked it. Added bonus, there is always enough room to bring stuff back in if I buy anything. Then on the plane I will use either a small "office" backpack and "lens wraps" or neoprene pouches to keep stuff safe. If I have less gear, (like what you have,) I will just take my Thinktank Urban Disguise 50 which can fit a D800, 70-200, 2 primes, and a flash. Depending on where you are from, ThinkTank really does have great bags for small set-ups that look more like "business" bags than hiking packs. Their Streetwalker backpacks are good for what they are. I wouldn't hike the Andies with them, but for touristy stuff, they would work real well.

•Formerly TTJ•
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    I admit, I just noticed that the Pelican 1510 is 22x14x9, the dimensions you provided were 21x15x9, not sure if it makes a difference but wanted to correct myself just in case.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    I don't feel comfortable checking anything of value. I also think it is unnecessary abuse to put it in something checked. I know sometimes it isn't possible to carry it all on. But my preference would be to leave some stuff at home over checking all of it. Another option might be to put it all in something more compact just to carry it on the plane and possibly have a camera bag to carry it around when you get to the destination. But maybe I am overly cautious.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited August 2014
    +1 tcole1983 and then some. If these airlines don't realise how crazy it is to have such ridiculous carry on restrictions, I will buy a little camera and wide/normal zoom before I check my good stuff.

I have enough experience and enough family members and friends who work or have worked in the airline industry to know my good gear isn't ever going to get checked-in.

Related: I once employed a guy who had worked for Royal Mail Parcel Force (Parcel Farce as it became known) - he told me that every parcel gets thrown to some extent, it is just a question of how far/how hard depending on how bust they are and the heavier the parcel the less care is taken. when it comes to smaller delivery services booked through on line (cheap) businesses, many parcels are routinely walked on these days when the van driver is looking for one in particular.

Consider that when you are sending in your gear for repair etc. Use an unrealistically large box and plenty of shock absorption!
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • warprintswarprints Posts: 61Member
    I use the smallest of my LowePro Slingshots that fits the gear I'm taking.
    I used to fly a lot. Now I drive whenever possible, even for fairly long trips. Airlines have gotten too greedy and arrogant, not to mention TSA BS.