Has the D800 left side focus problem been remedied on newer built cameras?

QuasarQuasar Posts: 24Member
edited July 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Hi,

Does anyone know if the D800 left side focus problem been remedied on newer built cameras?

Did Nikon find & fix the cause so if I buy one now I won't have the same problem?

What about the yellow LCD screen on the back? Has that been fixed?

Lastly, the issue with the print on the buttons rubbing off easily, has that been fixed?

I was hoping these problems would be remedied by Nikon if I waited, but I can't find any info about it.

Thanks,
Q
Post edited by Msmoto on

Comments

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @Quasar: Yes. Go buy one and see for yourself.

Have a great day....
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • QuasarQuasar Posts: 24Member
    I cant tell if you're being helpful or sarcastic.

?
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited July 2013
    The current D800's are all good AFAIK Quasar.

Golf was being helpful, just enjoying trying to spend your money for you.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited July 2013
    @Quasar: It was the answer to all your questions...unedited and unfiltered with "this and that"...if you get my meaning.

Happy shopping.

@spraynpray: I just love helping photographers get gold boxes. To me that is a good thing :P
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    Ok thanks guys.

I had read an article on nikonrumors that said nikon said they were fixing them but i wanted to wait until all the ones that had the problem had been sold out and new inventory had been put on shelves.

I was nearly set on a 5D3 after I heard about all the problems, but then i saw some sample shots on http://www.imaging-resource.com and the amount of detail sold me on the D800. So my plan was wait until they fixed all the problems.

The only thing that's sort of scaring me now is hearing about the oil spatter on sensors. I don't even know how people are supposed to clean off oil. Dust is one thing, but oil usually just smears.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    There is still a chance. I got a D800 in May and it has the left focus issue.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    @PB_PM

What's the beginning two numbers of your serial number?

I'm surprised someone hasn't made a thread with people providing the first 2 of their serial and whether or not they have the issue; so everyone could get an idea about when nikon started fixing it.
    edited July 2013
    Serial # 500xxxx (Nikon Canada serial number). Not terribly useful, since all Nikon Canada D800 models start with those numbers. It's really the last four digits that tell the story, but I'm not going to share those for insurance reasons.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    @PB_PM

ah. Ok. I was reading 502xxxx were having problems. and 505xxxx had less. but then other people said a lot of 502xxxx don't have problems as well. It's really hard to figure out since there are so many people and the info is so murky,
  • CruewellCruewell Posts: 2Member
    Nikon has been unable to fix this problem at production line level so far. I recently returned a D800, (serial number 6136XXX) I bought from Germany after testing the centre-left focusing point. I am in Spain, and here and now we are seeing a similar percentage of cameras with the autofocus issue as on 2012 (serial numbers then around 606XXXX). I would dare say Nikon, unfortunately, has chosen to ignore this problem.
  • CruewellCruewell Posts: 2Member
    I'm afraid it's in Spanish, but for those able to read it, this thread started on January 2013: http://www.nikonistas.com/digital/foro/index.php?showtopic=238311&page=21
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    edited January 2014
    @Cruewell is right, at least in Europe we still have the issues. I got my D800 in Q2/13, with the serial 6054XXX and must admit I didn't notice it myself. However, I had the camera and all my lenses in for service and alignment in August and when I picked up my gear, the service center said they had aligned all my lenses (bar the 80-400mm to which they did not have the adjustment equipment) and sorted out the side focus as well...
    Post edited by Killerbob on
    edited August 2014
    I would like to know as well. When I took my D800 in last year, the techs at Nikon Canada (Vancouver) had supposedly never even heard of the problem. Somehow I doubt that, but maybe it's part of Nikon's hide their heads in the sand policy. All the repair sheet said was, AF adjustment bank. Very helpful.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    It is rife throughout the retailers too - none of them had any problems with the D600 sensor dust issue, it was just internet myth according to them for many months!
    Always learning.
    edited August 2014
    When I took my D800 in last year, the techs at Nikon Canada (Vancouver) had supposedly never even heard of the problem.
    This is just offensive. There are two possible reasons: they were either prevaricating or ignorant. I don't know which is worse.
    Yes, at first they kind of where acting somewhat ignorant. They talked to me as if I was not used to using a full frame camera, or the narrow depth of field. I got the, "well you cannot expect blah, blah, blah, with this camera." Then I pulled out my D700, which has some battle scars, explaining that I'd never had that problem with it, and that kind of condescending talk stopped.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited August 2014
    @PitchBlack the D810 is the fix :P =))

on a serious note I had issues with focus that I couldn't even fine tune the lens while on my freinds entrly 3300 or 5300 camera was spot on with my lens. I sent it for repair and I was charged but then it got discounted for putting a hissy fit to customer service.
    It was not fixed when it came back.
    I sent it in again and it came back fixed with new warranty for 6 months. The notes said nothing was wrong but it was more of a silent fix. The AF imporoved and the Mirror slap/shutter is more quiet.

I called for a refund becuase I was charged for nothing wrong scenario and then they said they couldn't issue one because parts were used even thought my receipt said no issue found. The rep mentioned they fixed AF system and replaced the Mirror mechanism.

I had no issues with my F8 shots Up until I started using 1.4 to 2.8 when it got annoying and I sent it in.

I been saying this alot here and on DPReview.

If it wasn't for my camera working at 1.4 I would have bought the D810 and sold the D800.

Nikon did admit the issue and was supposed to issue an advisory but it never did. There are a couple of articles on this sites blog.

Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • JohnMcJohnMc Posts: 4Member
    Bought new D800 in March 2014 S?N 613xxxx , left focus issue is still remained - unfixed by Nikon product line.
    I would join any law action suit against NIkon selling defective D800 as in the case of D600.
    I'll join the lawsuit so that I can get a D810 in return :)
  • JohnMcJohnMc Posts: 4Member
    I'll join the lawsuit so that I can get a D810 in return :)
    I wouldn't loose any sleep over that...
    I'm already loosing sleep with two kids under 2years old :)
    If the lawsuit happens I'll join otherwise I'll continue to use my properly working D800.
    I don't think this will get a lawsuit like the D600 but you never know.
    from my previous post
    The rep mentioned they fixed AF system and replaced the Mirror mechanism.
    as to AF im not sure what they did firmware or replaced because they didn't put it on my invoice but the Mirror mech was confirmed to be replaced