Upgrade to D7000 from D3100 for Wedding/pre-wedding/all occasion and Wildlife photgraphy

2»

Comments

• manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Check out these links for some ideas on using a 50mm at a wedding:
    http://photographylife.com/nikon-50mm-f1-8g-for-wedding-photography
    http://www.melissajill.com/blog.cfm?postID=1012&lens-series-canon-mm-review

Everyone has their favorite lenses, that's what makes ILCs fun! And it helps allow photographers to be artists instead of just technicians twisting nobs and pushing buttons. ;)
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    I don't shoot weddings but it would seem to me a fast wide to moderate tele zoom (like 24-70 f2.8) on an FX body able to shoot cleanly at higher ISOs would be good and that is what I have mostly seen.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Funny enough as I have looked at bodies recently it is amazing what people have shot with d5xxx and d3xxx cameras. I saw some amazing shots from a d5100 with 18-200 lens...I thought maybe it wasn't listed right and expected some expensive lens. Lots of landscape and animal shots even some pretty good portraits. It isn't always the gear.

I still wouldn't shoot a wedding or portraits with a variable aperture lens, but good technique and some skill can go a long way.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited August 2014
    We dont use over 140 mm on DX as over that on a zoom they all seem to go very soft..Its better to crop .Why you need a wide aperture I dont know ....I need depth of field and dont tell me a 13th century church is well lit ..couple of dozen 5watt low energy bulbs and small stained glass windows is about it . The object of wedding photography is to make money not spend it on gear or to present people with great shots that they dont appreciate or print 6x4..
    The guy who asked the question wants to photograph indian weddings ...fast moveing colourful no control...messing about changing lenses no chance...how many (dozen) have you photographed?

Good techniques and some skill can go a long way
    Well the some skill comes from being a qualified with the MPA BIPP and RPS so of course I dont know what I am talking about.
    The original poster says he is disapointed with the 3100 but did he up the sharpness to +9 or is it on the factory soft settings ???
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited August 2014
    My advice on gear. Choose a a combination of camera lens flash, you are completely familiar with, instinctively know how to use and can get first class results, in rubbish lighting conditions, when working under stress

Only you know what that combination is

We all have a different style, so hopefully the bride will have chosen you, because she likes they way you shoot, not because of what equipment you use. ( or your price)

Yes the object is to make money but never forget "Its the Brides day " and nothing must go wrong

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    The OP asked about a camera and lens upgrade, in particular one which appears to be in the economical range (18-105mm lens). And seems to not be with us anymore or are you listening, OP?
    Msmoto, mod
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I offered him assces to my website so he can compare D7000 and D7100 but no response
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited August 2014
    @Pistnbroke I would like to see your website too and on your DX zoom lens you don't ever use 50mm (33mm DX) end?
    Im curious to see your work for learning purposes.

On my last wedding I used the D800 with the 24-70 2.8 glued to it with a sb-910 or sb-800
    My second body was the DF with 70-200 (ceremony) and alternated the lens 50mm 1.8g on it as a ready to shoot backup on my belt and during the Reception I tried different lens sigma 35 1.4 and I beleive 85mm 1.8g for candids as that is what the bride wanted.

I used the DF for ambient light in the party bus and the reception. It was an outdoor ceremony So I needed the flash power for the shadows at a 2pm with the sun cuasing havoc (thank you sb-8/910 and flash benders)

Only ONCE I took out the 14-24 and that was for a special request photo. There where 3 arches inside a little gazebo and 3 couples were on each arch. I would have not been able to take that shot with the 24-70 but I'm glad that I had that lens. The distortion is there with that shot but I tried my best as I couldn't backup but hey I tried.

When I had DX 7000 and D300 I did use the 17-55 and that was a great choice.

There is plenty of good advice on here everybody shoots different. Zooms come in handy but primes gives you better creativy,bokeh and CA wide open.

My advice for the camera if you are sticking to DX go with the 7100 for the instance that you need higher ISO or need to crop it will save you.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
    I think the OP is MIA but I will continue to add. The D7000 while an upgrade from the d3100 it is still a generation or two behind the newest cameras. This is why I opted for the d5200. I lose the pro controls but it has the same autofocus system as the D7000/D600. Aldo it has the newer and better sensor with comparable performance to the d7100 and d5300. I believe being able to use a higher ISO and still getting usable pictures is going to be a key. So add to that a stop or two faster lens and you gain a fair amount with F2.8 lenses plus the newer 24MP sensors. I love what I can do with my d5000 but it struggles in less than ideal lighting. I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting it for an indoor wedding.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    OP MIA?How rude....
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I hate that. It puts me off bothering to answer questions from first time posters.
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited August 2014
    @spraynpray +1 to your quote :WARNING: More knowledge and practice - not new gear - produces better photographs"
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    OP MIA?How rude....
    I hate that. It puts me off bothering to answer questions from first time posters.
    I think a suggestion for this problem is to direct them to a central "Official Camera Upgrade Discussion" thread with a sticky at the top.

What do the mods think?

Too many upgrade threads clutter up the forums. If they want they can make a distinct DX and FX upgrade thread.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    I don't see how that would stop people who register then ask a (sometimes inflammatory) question and never return to answer questions from helpers or even to participate further. I don't mind helping people in any way I can, but when they act like that, it puts me right off bothering.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Some of these folks may not have English as their first language, may have difficulty understanding all our subtleties, and may also find the question answered by the varied posts in response to the OP.

It may well be, the reemergence of a particular question in a new thread produces a new set of opinions and while redundant, does allow us with time on our hands to share our opinions… \:D/
    Msmoto, mod
    Pardon me. I thought politeness was fairly well understood most places these days... :D
    Always learning.
    @spray...the reason you pointed out is actually something that burned me out a while back and probably why I don't post as much. Seemed like there were lots of one post threads for a while about should I buy this or that.