F0 issue on D4 with 70-200 F2.8 VR II

TabazanTabazan Posts: 29Member
edited August 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Hi to all,

I am completely pro Nikon, so this thread is only for help and suggestions, and not against the D4 or 70-200 which are great.

I often shoot on dusty environment, and last year I asked the NPS to completely clean my lens. The 70-200 was in a so bad state that the repairs were out of Nikon guarantee. The proposed to build it up again, what I accepted instead of buying a new one.

Since then, I frequently have a F0 status, with "black pics" (during burst shots especially). The black pics have EXIFS but they only show that ... F0

When applying a slight rotation (left > right) on the lens, the problem disappears but handling becomes difficult.

I've sent the cam and the lens 3 times since, and NPS try hard but didn't managed to recreate the issue or solve the problem.

Do someone had the same issue ? How did you solve that ?

Many thanks for your help
Tagged:

Comments

• FritzFritz Posts: 140Member
    I had a similar problem with an D3s that turned out to be an electrical contact problem from a bent f mount.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited August 2014

I've sent the cam and the lens 3 times since,

My philosophy, if a piece of gear, any gear, cannot be sorted out on the after two visits to the repair station, trade it in for a new one.

That said, in over 40 years I have never had to send any to Nikon gear for repair once, let alone 3 times

If if you are hard on you equipment, trade it in before it dies

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • TabazanTabazan Posts: 29Member
    @sevencrossing

I think you're right, but I would feel unease selling a lens with issues ... ;)

Precision : Nikon NPS asked to get it back twice. I was ready to buy a new one, but they proposed to build it up again, as it was still functionnal and is very still very good.

That said, I'm very, very careful with my equipment, and usually wraps the combo, but places I need to work with are not studios or laboratory rooms ;) . Sandy and dusty places are neither covered by Nikon nor by traditionnal insurances but I know it, I don't complain about that ;)

Regarding the F0 issue, it seems to start mainly during sunny day (around 85 F). I've cleaned the connectors (cam + lens), but nothing does. These random "black pics" keep coming.

I've read somewhere the issue seems quite frequent. I only want to know if someone had a solution aprat from selling it.

With my damaged D3s I could get the camera to malfunction buy lateral pressure against the lens barrel minutely flexing the lens in the mount. You might see how "loose" the lens-camera interface might be. Question: does the problem occur with a different lens?
  • TabazanTabazan Posts: 29Member
    @ Fritz

Thanks for the update. No, the other lenses work fine.

What you describe is exactly what happens. I need to "block" the lens, to make it work flawlessly. Duct tape helps to maintain it in place (and also for the dust issue) but it's not a normal situation for pro gear.

So ... might be the connectors (but even cleaned, it happens), or the lens "processor" (read somewhere), or the guillotine that is a bit weak for the 70-200 ... don't know.

Well, kind of sounds like a new lens is in order and you are right that your shooting environment places more demand on your equipment than most of the rest of us have to face. Question: how do your camera bodies stand up to your environment?
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited August 2014
    I am still trying to figure out what FO means…. :-))

Well, I researched this and it suggests the lens has not been locked into place….. or at least there is some connectivity problem which the body thinks is due to the above. And, having had a lens fall out of the camera body (Just like a Canon, LOL) I can address the issue maybe. I think i would examine closely the adjustment or condition of the locking ring on the lens. Possibly some wear or damage could be allowing the lens to rotate enough so as to drop one of the connections to the body. And, maybe Nikon just did not fiddle enough to be able to reproduce this. Or, in the rebuild, and testing, the technician uses heavy force when mounting the lens, going by the "problem" area.

Can the problem be reproduced by rotating the lens as in dismounting from the camera, without actually pushing the release button?
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod