Weye Feye...possibly the answer to all your WIFI needs.

Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
edited April 2014 in General Discussions
For those that have always wanted WIFI capabilities for the D-SLR....I think the Weye Feye is the tool for you.

An in-depth review @ Photographylife.com

D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |

Comments

• SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    edited August 2014
    Is this better than the CamRanger? I realize the CamRanger is pretty cheesy hardware, but the software is well dialed in.
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Are these things worth the trouble for use on Nikons? They seem to have far more features available on a Canon.
    Always learning.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited August 2014
    What's the difference between that and something like this?

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Wireless/27081/WU-1a-Wireless-Mobile-Adapter.html

I'm pretty sure that that's missing the share feature, but I'm pretty sure you can still send it to your phone and message it afterwards.

And I'm also pretty sure there are limits to how old your DSLR is. I don't think I can expect compatibility with the D40. :D

Edit- I just noticed that the D7000 isn't compatible with the stupid dongle. :(
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    Well, the main difference is software. IF you have an iPad or iPad mini, the CamRanger works pretty well. It is O.K. with the iPhone. I don't know about saving to my phone and messaging. I use it for a large screen remote control because I can't always put my eye near the camera.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • Is there an APP to view a photo from the DSLR, connected with the WU-1a or WU-1b, direct to an Android tablet. The only thing I want is look at the photo on a bigger screen. I know LR via a cable, on a notebook, but it is easier to connect to a tablet via WIFI.

The Nikon APP does it, but you have to press - View Photo's - the photo's doesn't show direct from the camera. The Wey Fey and Camranger APP's only works with there own hardware.
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Is there an APP to view a photo from the DSLR, connected with the WU-1a or WU-1b, direct to an Android tablet. The only thing I want is look at the photo on a bigger screen. I know LR via a cable, on a notebook, but it is easier to connect to a tablet via WIFI.

The Nikon APP does it, but you have to press - View Photo's - the photo's doesn't show direct from the camera. The Wey Fey and Camranger APP's only works with there own hardware.
    Yes there is an APP to view photos from the DSLR memory card. Also in live view and normal view you can see the image live which is what you are really asking...am I correct? With the instructions that come with the WU-1a or WU-1b are the instructions on how to do this. I have not used mine in months. I have an Android phone and Tablet and use the Nikon APP with success. You get the program at Play Store, of course.

D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Wireless/27081/WU-1a-Wireless-Mobile-Adapter.html

I'm pretty sure that that's missing the share feature, but I'm pretty sure you can still send it to your phone and message it afterwards.

And I'm also pretty sure there are limits to how old your DSLR is. I don't think I can expect compatibility with the D40. :D

I VERY nearly bought one of those. They are compatible with D7100 (a) or D600 (b) onwards.

If you take a look at some reviews, you will see what I alluded to above - they are almost only wireless remotes as other features are disappointingly basic. That is why I made the comment above. Nikon adaptors are 'meh', and Nikon cameras seem to be inaccessible to other manufacturers wi-fi gadgets. Big shame as I would love a full feature wi-fi controller for my DSLR. I'd even pay crazy Nikon prices for it.
    Always learning.
  • For me it is sometimes useful as remote shutter, I hate cables :)
    The WiFi reach is terrible and it drains batteries very quick.
    You can use it with the Nikon WMU app.
    DslrDashboard does everything camranger etc. does, but is free.
    There is another thread in the forum about this.

But I only need a tethered - Basic JPG - on my tablet, without clicking.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member

I VERY nearly bought one of those. They are compatible with D7100 (a) or D600 (b) onwards.

If you take a look at some reviews, you will see what I alluded to above - they are almost only wireless remotes as other features are disappointingly basic. That is why I made the comment above. Nikon adaptors are 'meh', and Nikon cameras seem to be inaccessible to other manufacturers wi-fi gadgets. Big shame as I would love a full feature wi-fi controller for my DSLR. I'd even pay crazy Nikon prices for it.
    Ah, that's a disappointment.

I'll stick with the $20 IR remote if I wanted a wireless trigger.

I guess the best next option for us older DSLR users would be to use a Eye Fi card.

Does anyone have any experience with that?
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    I got one a while back. If you shoot raw, uploads are painfully slow. It's in my wife's camera now because I can't be bothered with it.
    Always learning.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I returned the Eye Fi card. It was a neat idea when it came out but too slow and unreliable connections.
    I am interested in something like cam ranger but in no hurry to get one of these items yet. They can be very usefull for live view applications like setting up a studio shot and nobody is around to help and a great way to take a selfie.
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    edited August 2014
    EyeFi card works pretty well for me. I use it to transfer JPGs to my iPad for review. Keep my RAWs on a CF card.

If you only have one card slot - I would not use an EyeFi card as it only works well for JPGs.
    Post edited by henrik1963 on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2014
    I got one a while back. If you shoot raw, uploads are painfully slow. It's in my wife's camera now because I can't be bothered with it.
    Of course this WiFi is slow for big RAW files, but I have no need to put RAW files on my tablet.

With the WMU app on Android I only "view" the basic JPG on my Android tablet and that goes very quick. This for looking direct at your photo's on a bigger screen, without cables.

It works well, but my question is:
    When I press the shutter, I want to see that photo direct on my tablet.
    In the Nikon WMU app, I have to press the back button, press - view photo's - and press - photo's on camera -. This should not be this way.

I 'am looking for an Android app, without paying $ 300.- for a camranger or so, because I don't need that. The WU-1a and WU-1b are working perfect with the app - DSLR dashboard -, which does everything. OK in a small range and you need extra batteries :)
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on