AFS aperture not Opening all the way to AF

Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
edited September 2014 in Nikon Lenses
So this weekend my 24-120vr F4's aperture stopped opening all the way up mid sitting and of course it was too dark to AF. I fiddled with it, switched lenses, and the next day it worked correctly but then again in mid sitting, the aperture closed down again. It didn't do it with any other lenses, so I'm running with the body not being the issue.

Has anyone seen this before? New one to me. I have never had them work, stop working, and then work again the next day. Just odd.
Post edited by Bokeh_Hunter on
•Formerly TTJ•

Comments

• proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    This sounds a little like what I'm experiencing.
    http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/3278/d800-gray-curtain#Item_6

I suspect it may have something to do with the aperture arm. In my case it started with a 17-35. I've found that if you remove the lens and move that black sliding flange back and forth a bit, it will clear up, but for how long I can't tell you.

Just got off the phone with Nikon, who recommended that I send it in.
  • Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    That is what I have done, seems to not work. But then again, since it is somewhat random when it starts again, it is hard to tell for sure. I've also cleaned the contacts.
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    What happens when you hit the DoF preview - any noise or indication of it trying to work?
    Always learning.
    ^^Another great suggestion and the first quick fix my camera store offered. They thought the DoF preview button may have gotten stuck. Didn't work, and in fact pressing the button in one case even triggered the issue. They're going to give it a quick once over today and assuming there's nothing they can do, I'll put in a box and send it back to the mothership, who assures me it will take 7-10 business days. Unfortunately, my warranty expired about 20 days ago.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Fingers crossed they look at the larger picture. I've always found them fair.
    Always learning.
    I talked to a tech rep about that. He thought the cost to fix this would be in the 140-310 USD range. But he did tell me to reach out to him personally once I got the estimate and he would do what he could to manage it with my just expired warranty in mind. I thought that was pretty reasonable.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited September 2014
    Yes, had it with my 24-120vr F4's. the zoom ring had got knocked and was not correctly fitting in it slot on the body of the lens

I managed to get it back in and have had no problems since
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    It is not the preview button for sure.

At least my stuff is still under warranty - we will see how far that goes though - always seems to be some loophole. Worse thing about it is that have have to rent a lens for the 2-3 weeks which is just less made on jobs.
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I talked to a tech rep about that. He thought the cost to fix this would be in the 140-310 USD range. But he did tell me to reach out to him personally once I got the estimate and he would do what he could to manage it with my just expired warranty in mind. I thought that was pretty reasonable.
    That is excellent customer service. Positive experience for sure.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    So I wanted to provide a postscript on this. My camera went to Nikon, and I got an estimate for $224 USD, which I thought was very reasonable. As the rep suggested, I reached out and showed him my estimate, telling him that I had already accepted it and had instructed Nikon to move forward with the repair, but was just following up as we had discussed. I got the following response:

Hello Mr. Danford,

Thank you for responding with the requested information. We have gone ahead and made service to your D800 under service order a one time complimentary service for good customer relations. Your new estimate total is $0.00.

Your D800 is currently in the shop being serviced and upon completion will be shipped back to you via UPS. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to give me a call back at 1-800-645-6687.

Thank you for choosing Nikon and have a wonderful day.

I know we all bitch about Nikon for various things they do, but I thought this was exemplary customer service. Nikon was under no obligation to do this, particularly since my warranty had expired and the issue was likely caused by user error. Bravo Nikon, bravo.