Nikon D610 problems in low light

andithegirlandithegirl Posts: 8Member
edited September 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
hi everyone, anyone else having issues with their Nikon D610 focusing in low light..the autofocus is pretty bad with the kit lens in even slightly dark conditions..in comparison the D90 had a way wider range in low light..is that just my imagination? also it seized up and started giving me alternate ERR or CARD lights when it couldn't pull focus...the second time it's happened..? anyone have any advice to make this better?

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited September 2014
    It could be a problem with your camera, or the lens itself. The D610's auto focus sensor is more sensitive in low light than the one found in the D90, so theoretically it should do better.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    I would be thinking of sending this back to Nikon if I was experiencing this problem. This of course assumes that you are not comparing a superzoom on your D610 to a fast prime on your D90. However, even then the error messages are odd.....
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited September 2014
    What have you set it on ? AF-S C or what? ....if its on single point you will need to pick a contrasty edge or it wont focus ..pointing at any plain surface it wont focus
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    hi everyone, anyone else having issues with their Nikon D610 focusing in low light..the autofocus is pretty bad with the kit lens in even slightly dark conditions..in comparison the D90 had a way wider range in low light..is that just my imagination? also it seized up and started giving me alternate ERR or CARD lights when it couldn't pull focus...the second time it's happened..? anyone have any advice to make this better?
    Is the autofocus assist lamp on? It's needed for the 610 as it can't focus well without it. Try dropping down to the center point only & triple check that the autofocus assist lamp is on. If still nothing, then try it with an IR capable flash attached.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited September 2014
    the ERR message needs to be resolved first.. take it in to be repaired

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• andithegirlandithegirl Posts: 8Member
    thank you everybody! i'm gearing up to shoot a music fest in 2 days and will try everything!