Card Readers

kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
edited September 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I searched for this topic, but only found outdated "hits" on the old discussion board.

I recently upgraded my SD and CF cards finally to 1000x + speeds, but I find my current Transcend card reader is not cutting it anymore. I am using the 32 GB Lexar 1000x CF and the 32 GB Sandisk 800x SD cards. I have heard that the best on the market right now is the Lexar dual slot USB 3.0 reader with 500mb/sec uploading speed. I would like to know what others on this board are currently relying on in terms of speed for these faster cards. Thanks!

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    USB 3.0 is the key. I have several brands, Promaster, PNY, el-cheapo, and I can't tell a difference in speed...
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    edited September 2014
    Your camera is USB 3.0. Just plug it in.
    Post edited by Parke1953 on
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited September 2014
    Yes, but my computer needs to be upgraded badly and only has 2.0 ports. I am in the process of upgrading now along with a faster card reader. So 3.0 is the key then? Thanks Ironheart. Looks like Lexar, and Transcend offer some good ones. Sony and Sandisk are second in line.
    Post edited by kanuck on
    Kanuck just curious. You need to update your computer with 3.0 ports,so why would you need a card reader. I plug my camera in and download through NX2 (one of the few things it does good) to an external drive when the first card is done it asks if i want to download the next card i click yes and I'm done.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I have a SanDisk ImageMate All-in-One reader which is decent, but only USB 2.0 at max.

It reads everything so I'm pretty happy with it, and it was around $20, maybe $17 on Amazon.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Your camera is USB 3.0. Just plug it in.
    External card readers are often much faster than the cameras internal USB (even for a given speed rating, aka USB 2.0, USB 3.x), and doesn't run the cameras battery down needlessly.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Yes card readers are always the way to go in terms of speed and wear and tear on your camera body. I already went to the effort to replace my memory cards with faster alternatives because my D810 files are hogs and as soon as Windows 9 comes out I will replace my computer system as well. What I like about current technology is that the card readers give you about 500 mb/sec with USB 2.0 and 5GB/sec with USB 3.0 and computers have both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports. You can't go wrong!
    edited September 2014
    I have 2 3.0 and 4 2.0 ports on my computer. I did a test some time back and posted the results. I think it was 11 or 12 minutes for 2 16g cards and 75meg files (is this a good time or to slow?). Downloads are at the end of the day and have not had any problem with battery power. Not sure what the built in SD slot is but I think it is 2.0 because its very slow. I'll buy a 3.0 card reader (cause they are cheap) and give a try. Will let you know what I think.
    I have 2 3.0 and 4 2.0 ports on my computer. I did a test some time back and posted the results. I think it was 11 or 12 minutes for 2 16g cards and 75meg files (is this a good time or to slow?). Downloads are at the end of the day and have not had any problem with battery power. Not sure what the built in SD slot is but I think it is 2.0 because its very slow. I'll buy a 3.0 card reader (cause they are cheap) and give a try. Will let you know what I think.
    Sounds good yes the decent 3.0 Transcend is just 20 bucks. The Sony and Sandisks are more money about 50 each. I think I will pick up the Transcend this weekend.

• nitro4menitro4me Posts: 252Member
    I have the Transcend 3.0 and it works like a champ with my iMac. Usb 3.0 is the way to go, I shoot a D610 in raw and it is a lot faster than my old 2.0 reader.
    edited September 2014
    Thanks nitro this is what I was hoping to hear because my 2.0 reader is driving me nuts. 8GB of images on a Lexar x1000 is taking far to long to upload to my albeit crappy computer. I'd love to buy a Mac but I already have Windows Lightroom 5. and Photoshop CC so I am $800 in software committed. I am waiting for Windows 9 to be released basically, but in the meantime I will pick up this Transcend 3.0 reader to help out with the speeds for now. This newer Transcend offers 486mb/sec even on USB 2.0 which is better than what I am currently running on.
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • adsads Posts: 93Member
    One thing to note with the Lexar dual slot usb 3 reader is that there is a firmware upgrade you need to do when you get it - mine was very flaky out of the box. I do like the design though - stops dust and grit from getting into the card slots.
    I have a question. If you have a computer that has only USB 2.0 and you put in a 3.0 reader do you get 3.0 or does it drop down to 2.0. Do you not have to get a 3.0 card and install that to make the 3.0 reader work at 3.0. Knuck do you have a 3.0 USB slot.
    I have a question. If you have a computer that has only USB 2.0 and you put in a 3.0 reader do you get 3.0 or does it drop down to 2.0. Do you not have to get a 3.0 card and install that to make the 3.0 reader work at 3.0. Knuck do you have a 3.0 USB slot.
    Yes, most 3.0 USB card readers should also have 2.0 capability and if your computer is 4+ years old then it likely has 2.0 ports only and the reader will automatically downgrade to the slower port. However, the 2.0 port speeds are better on the new card readers than they were before so the new Transcend or Lexar readers are worth buying for faster 2.0 and if you have the computer ports, 3.0 uploading speeds. The real reason to pick up a 3.0 reader though obviously is to use it's highest speed. I bought the Transcend yesterday for $25 and I am happy with it. I can't wait to use the faster 3.0 though. I am using a 2007 HP with 4 GB of RAM for D810 files. I have been using this combo for nearly 3 years with the D800e and now D810 files so you can just imagine my pain and frustration....

Thanks for the info ads I wasn't aware of that issue with the Lexar. I have heard that they are excellent so you made a good choice there..

When I go to town I will look for a card reader or maybe just order one on line. Normally I just plug my 800 in to a 3.0 USB port and I think works fast but will try Transcend or Lexar card reader. Thanks.
    Card reader is on it's way. Thanks for the help with spending my wife's money. :D
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Interesting thread. For some time I've had 'a problem' (I think) with my PC and Lightroom 5. When I transfer my D7100 images from the card to the PC by any means (Lexar USB 3 or any other way) Lightrom is very fragile. If I try to do anything, the screen goes grey and I get asked to I want to kill the program or wait (unresponsive). I hoped the USB 3 reader would fix this but it hasn't. I updated drivers on as much stuff as I could, but that hasn't helped either. I have to be patient. Up to 15 minutes patient and there is no progress indication or anything helpful - just unresponsiveness if I try to see if the PC even knows I clicked import.

Anybody else got/had this?
    Always learning.
    @spraynspray Never a problem with LR. I normally download (right out of camera) thru viewNX2 to a external drive then have LR Import. I do have a card reader coming in a few days to try.
    edited September 2014
    Received new Transcend 3.0 reader today. Works great. Downloaded 16G SD and 16G CF card in 06:40. 411 files 72MB to 75MB. Half the time of plugging in the camera.

Thanks for bringing this up. :D
    Nice to hear the speed upgrade Parke1953. My Lightroom 5.6 tends to be buggy from time to time as well. Have you tried the obvious and reinstalled it spraynpray? Another option might be to upload the files first off the card onto the computer and then import them into Lightroom?
    Yep that's how I do it now from the card thru the computer to a external drive then import from there to LR. Never a problem. Thanks again for bringing this up. It's like lightning. Well need to shut down very big storm a coming here in Texas.
    I usually upload the files via the card reader to a Samsung external hard drive then import them into Lightroom 5.6. I make a few minor adjustments then export them to Adobe CC and if B&W then Silver Efex Pro 2.0.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Spray, we should probably take this to a different thread, but which version of Lightroom and Windows?