Things to shoot in San Antonio TX this weekend?

DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
edited September 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I am in San Antonio TX for the weekend and am looking for shooting opportunities.

Any suggestions (outside of the usual tourist things)?

Denver Shooter

Comments

• tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Well you said not the usual tourist stuff...the river walk is good to get all kinds of pictures. The hill country NW has animals (lots of deer and probably something else) and some old German towns. There are some caves nearby that are pretty neat...Natural Bridge and some others I can't remember the names. The old mission buildings can be cool, but I think there is a bit of driving. There is an old housing district with large colonial style mansions. Off the top of my head...Sea World, the zoo and botanical gardens if you wanted something like that.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Be sure to go to the River Walk in the evening and switch to AUTO-ISO. Great stuff. Certainly go during the day. I just like the evening right before sunset.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    The Alamo is very difficult to get good images. Tiffany's at La Cantara.... Take your wife and AMEX Platinum.... Forget the photos unless you want to shoot the $275,000 solitaire I tried on a few years ago. :D
    Msmoto, mod
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi,

Some years ago, I shot at the USAF Bases and US Army Hospital at Fort Sam Houston for a story for my magazine for the USAF at San Antonio on combined operations for the OAS. We toured Kelley, Lackland, Randoph Air Force Bases and Brook Army Hospital as well as the downtown walk.

There were a number of great local places - one was a restaurant Mis Tierras, not far from The Alamo (obviously on everyone's itinerary for San Antonio). We were there for the County Rodeo - a terrific deal, too, since it had a great country show and fireworks.

@DenverShooter - While I had a team of photographers with me, I took photos, too, and we had the chiefs of staff and ministers of defense from all the from the hemisphere in tow, we had an embarrassment of riches in the choices for the article.

Good luck and have fun and my best,

Mike
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    The Alamo is very difficult to get good images. Tiffany's at La Cantara.... Take your wife and AMEX Platinum.... Forget the photos unless you want to shoot the $275,000 solitaire I tried on a few years ago. :D
    What is it with The Alamo? You are correct, it's difficult to get good images. Some times it was not a wide enough lens and other times you need to knock a whole in a wall to back up more. Only got a couple of real keepers but the others were "so-so". The tree out front is a good subject. Thanks for bringing back those memories.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

@Photobug - The Alamo isn't so bad. I enjoyed it.

Fort Sam Houston was home briefly while I was in medic school as part of my Special Forces training, before I left that dead end career field. ;-)

The last time I was there was 20 or so years ago.

My best to all,

Mike