D800/D610 Exposure bracketing question in camera??

METALBLADEMETALBLADE Posts: 51Member
edited October 2014 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
I am looking at upgrading to a D800 or D610 from my current D3300. Ive been getting into HDR photos and my current camera doesn't do any bracketing so i have to do it manually which is a bummer. Now ive seen the D610 do 3 shot bracketing and the D800 does up to 9. Now my true question is, is there a way so that the CAMERA will take the 5 photos and turn them into 1 picture on the camera or will i always have to use software for that. I know there is an HDR mode but only supports 2 pictures. I am looking to do 3 to 7. I feel like i read somewhere that the D610 will take the 3 pictures and combine them into 1 on the camera, is this true? Also does the D800 do that as well in camera?

Also by the by i do a lot of landscape work and i am really stuck between the 2. Which one would you guys choose?

Comments

• Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    @MEYALBLADE ,Check out Golf007sd he has done quite a bit of HDR. He uses, I think it's called promote control. If you can afford it D800.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    My D7100 also merges 2 images into one HDR shot. Can't help with the question on the D800 or D610 but there are lots of D610/D600 and D800 users that are members of NRF.

My recommendation is to add the D750 to your list and drop the D610 UNLESS your budget is tight, then the entry level FX D610 is the one to buy. I have been to two stores and used the D750 and it's MUCH better than the D610.

Finally, there is another alternative to the D800. Roberts Camera in Indianapolis has a small supply of refurbished D810 at a $600 savings. See the main blog post regarding the eBay posting or you can call them direct.

Good luck in your decision making. Oh, why are you not looking at post processing software to make your HDR's instead of doing it in the camera?
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited October 2014
    @METALBLADE: Welcome to NRF. You will find their is plenty of us that are willing to assist with your questions and hopefully lead you down the right path...so long as your budget allows it.

Now to your question: For HDR (always show in RAW or NEF), you will find that the in camera bracketing to be quite limiting...regardless of which body you own. I would highly recommend getting the Promote Control System and this cable to go with it and start using it on your current D3300. Here is the link to their website. Get yourself familiarized with this amazing tool before getting yourself a new DSLR.

The post processing of your images will have to be done via a third party software. The amount of customization you can do is just not possible for a camera to address and those that do...is quite limiting. So get yourself a great software that does it. I personally use Potomatrix Pro on my Mac.

With respect upgrading to FX, it is the high ISO capabilities, in conjunction to the dynamic range being offered by the sensor, that make FX bodies very much worth getting.

If you are willing to let us know your budget and the lenses you currently own, then I believe we, as a community, will be more effective on our recommendations.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • METALBLADEMETALBLADE Posts: 51Member
    Thank you all for the quick feedback! So from what i understand most camera cannot combine multiple brackets like 3 to 5 together in camera to create a single picture, i will always need to do this after the fact, unless i use the HDR mode in which case its normally a 2 picture exposure. Is that correct?

I do use photmatic currently and it is great software i just thought it would be great to have it combined in camera and then go from there.

@Photobug Thank you so much for mentioning the D750!!! It look like it just came out and flew under my radar. However at the same time since it is so new i am a bit worried about problems with brand new models. With that aside,

I am technically new still to photography, less then a year doing it but ive been out a lot and taken tones of pictures and have advanced very far i believe with my photography and would like to just upgrade to a full frame. When i edit with mine now any iso over 400 starts getting grainy and takes a good amount of noise reduction to take it out which is part of my looking at the full frame. I also do mostly landscape and just want to take the best clearest most detailed pictures i possibly can which is why i am looking to upgrade as well. Honestly i was looking to be on the cheaper side of the FF range which is why i saw the 610 for 1700 new i was like not bad! I then saw a refurbished D800 from a nikon dealer for $2200. Once i saw that i decided the $500 difference isnt a biggie but now with this D750 price wise its only really new for the same price as the D800 referb. Ide rather buy new and i am alittle worried about the side of the files a bit on the D800, i heard they are like 75mb a pic! I have tons of room on my comp and its a beast and can eat through anything but still a big size file.

Anyways in a nut shell im looking to buy my first FF that will last me quite some time so i dont mind spending a good amount of money. I have really been looking into bracketing of 5 to 7 and making HDRs from there. Now im just wondering which camera would be best for $2200 or less because i still dont have any FF lens so that will be another expense. :(
    At this stage, you should highly consider the D750. It has plenty of MP, high ISO capabilities, FPS, features, and at a very good price.

As for lenses...given your objective, wide angle lenses are the ones to consider. From 14mm to about 35mm. I personally love my 14-24 2.8. Have shot everything under the sun and at night. This should be at the top of your list.

Should you consider going with prime lenses, then the new Nikon 20 1.8G, 24 1.4G and the Sigma 35mm 1.4 will workout very well for you as well.

Lastly, having a very good tripod is very important when taking HDR, as well as, landscapes shots.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • tganiatstganiats Posts: 131Member
    @Golf007sd : you will find that the in camera bracketing to be quite limiting...regardless of which body you own"

I find this true, compared to Promote Control, but to call a D800 "quite" limiting for HDR? Isn't that a bit of an overstatement. I have taken a fair number of HDR (even handheld) and have been impressed with the D800. Sure, the Promote Control offers some benefits, but is the D800 "quite limited?"

Thanks
  • METALBLADEMETALBLADE Posts: 51Member
    Thank you both for the feedback! Ive been looking at the D750 a lot since i just read about it and i think i might have just fallen in love. It seems to have the things im looking for. It seems a lot like the d800 but for the same price as a referbed one i can get the D750 new. I dont need 36megapixles 24 will be just fine for me its also smaller and lighter and i wont have to deal with 75mb pictures. It also seems from what ive read it is a lot more advanced then the D610. Right now i have a few lens but all for dx format. From what i understand i can use them but i will either get vignetting or i can switch to like a dx mode but i will lose mp. I was planning on getting a 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S lens as my first lens so i can get a broad range of pictures. I am not 100% on it yet though because ive never shot on a FF so i am not sure what is best to have, ide hate to buy a wide angle and only be able to use it for landscapes or have to much image and wish i could have zoomed it in a bit more?
    edited October 2014
    @tganiats: When it comes to taking HDR photography, I have no reservation in saying that any D-SLR, Nikon or Canon, limit the end user. The Promote Control, has far more powerful feature. Do you have one or ever used one? If so then you will understand my perspective. Most of my HDR are 10 shots or more.

@METALBLADE: If and when you move to the FX world, I highly recommend getting yourself lenses that have a fixed aperture. Hence, those with 1.4, 1.8, 2.8 or f/4. However, those that have the new 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G have spoken very highly of it.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    edited October 2014
    Another option is the CamRanger System which may originally have been created for extending your viewfinder onto an iPad via WiFi, but now also have a bunch of controls for your DSLR.

It provides the same level of control for HDR and Time Lapse as does the Promote Control system, and I must say the wireless camera control is nniiccee...