Nikon Large Sensor Mirrorless Camera Is A Possibility

MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
edited September 2014 in General Discussions
From the main blog, discussion for those of us who are waiting for this to be announced. And, my idea which I put out a year or so ago….

Nikon R-1 (Fantasy Camera)

:D
Msmoto, mod

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited September 2014
    Oh, wait, another:

Nikon? DM1 FX Mirrorless 02.08.13

ANd, one more….
    Nikon DM1 II.02.10.13

Please note: None of these images is in any way an official photo…. only my imagination, fantasy, and nostalgia being put into an image….
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    I've given up hope. It would have been nice to have a year ago. I've gotten to where I have a work-arounds for all the size problems I used to solve with an M4-P. Now I just pack-up my D800 with a manual focus pancake lens and carry a 24-120 separately.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited September 2014
    That last photoshop looks like someone dropped a safe on a D750. :D

Nikon can't possibly be so dense as to ignore mirrorless.

It would be like Kodak ignoring digital cameras...

...oh wait...
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    So nikon may not have abandoned medium format after all
  • Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    Actually Kodak was the main innovator in CCD technology for about 20 years - just a FYI. They just didn't make their own cameras.

I don't think Nikon really cares or wants to pump out a new "system" (either medium format or fx/dx sensor based mirrorless system.) The just seem to be on a path of missing the boat or living in a Japanese market only bubble and just can't seem to understand what people are buying. Hint: its not DSLRs.

They had the opportunity with the DF and didn't do a mirrorless. My guess is that they either haven't at all or just started developing a DX/FX mirrorless system. Either case, we are a least 5-6 years for a good system to come out that may match the rest of the pack.
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    The Nikon FX mirrorless body will be released after the D400. What does that tell you?
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    edited September 2014
    donaldejose made me depressed, so I must go on a vacation, drink some margaritas and take some pictures.
    Post edited by rmp on
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    The Nikon FX mirrorless body will be released after the D400. What does that tell you?
    Great! so sometime early next year then ?

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    What, in 2020? Couldn't come soon enough. :-t
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    I don't think Nikon will produce a medium format system because it would involve too much investment when the company is not profitable enough now to have those funds for development. Development costs would be less to first fill all the "gaps" in their current line up which can be produced with existing DX and FX sensors and existing lens sizes. Examples, D400, DX lenses designed for high megapixel sensors, DX "holy trinity," mirrorless DX bodies, mirrorless FX bodies, FX lenses designed for high megapixel sensors, 50mp D4x or D810x. There are a lot of things for Nikon to do in the existing DX and FX format.
    edited September 2014
    I suspect Nikon will produce a full frame (FX) mirrorless. With the rapidly evolving technologies we will see an EVF which is indistinguishable from a ground glass image. And with focusing which is as fast as anything on the market, maybe even faster. At this point in the evolution of the 35mm camera, a DSLR will be like the rangefinder, nice, useful, but a camera built on outmoded technology.

My opinion only….

Oh, I think I like the DM-1 above…. LOL
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    I believe you are correct. We are just waiting for the technology to make it possible. When the mirror is gone a current restriction on fps (the time it takes for a mirror to flip out of the way) will be removed. There will be other advantages. For example, an EVF will project a bright image of a dark room allowing for better composition in very low light. Ten years from now the whole Nikon lineup likely will be mirrorless with not a DSLR remaining.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited September 2014
    @MsMoto - I agree the first mirror less will be a Fx model. Picture 1 represents that model.

Picture #2 represents the DX version for consumers/advanced amateurs and Pro's.

Pictures #3 is a nice dream. Shore like the first two. Nice work.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    Frankly, I think (and hope), that a competitive mirrorless model would neither have nor need a big body as the above. I'm wondering how much battery drain is caused by the moving mirror, btw.. Anyways, to draw in the mirrorless crowd, the camera needs to be small, that being the primary advantage in general. An optional battery grip can be equally small then. IMO, a Leica-sized system would be perfect, because it's small but still easy to hand hold. Just look at the Sony A7 series.
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    I'm kind of thinking the opposite just for the fun of it.

Nikon already has the 1 series which is aimed at small/light. And that's the camera (if they ever get it right) that could draw in the crowd. ($300-600 bodies, built-in viewfinder and grip for the V etc.)

I can't speak for the true pro's here, but most of what I've read speaks to preferring the larger bodies in order to support larger lenses. The ergonomics of a small camera and an f2.8 zoom aren't great. I actually like the lighter bodies, but I get the feeling that those sports photographers would scoff at strapping their 200-400mm lenses onto an A7-like body. Even a 24-70 f/2.8 is too big to handle.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    From what Thom Hogan was hinting at in his D300s replacement article, it seemed like Nikon either did consider or is considering large sensor mirrorless, whether it is in DX or FX form.

So maybe it might be possible.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Frankly, I think (and hope), that a competitive mirrorless model would neither have nor need a big body as the above. I'm wondering how much battery drain is caused by the moving mirror, btw.. Anyways, to draw in the mirrorless crowd, the camera needs to be small, that being the primary advantage in general. An optional battery grip can be equally small then. IMO, a Leica-sized system would be perfect, because it's small but still easy to hand hold. Just look at the Sony A7 series.
    It won't be much smaller unless the flange to focal length distance is reduced, which means a new lens lineup.
    I am thinking the flange to sensor distance would be reduced, but a very effective adaptor to allow full use of all the current F mount lenses would be supplied. Some new lenses could utilize pancake technology, and other stuff once the mirror is dumped.
    Msmoto, mod
    Yes, that would be a real seller. People could buy into such a system without replacing so many lenses at first. You could count on mostly using existing lenses and then adding the new lenses as they go.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    When can I place an order? Nikon should listen to Msmoto. :>
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    Thom Hogan seems to think the mirrorless Nikon will be DX and gun for the D300 slot.

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/watch-for-closing-windows.html
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    A long as its FX 36 MP+, silent and does not have those horrible so called professional memory banks I dont care wht it looks like.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited March 2018
    Mirrorless hype is resulting in sales. Meanwhile DSLR is declining. Sure hope mirrorless Nikon is in a D300 style DX version as well as FX. I would buy the DX. I could NOT afford FX. Why? Cameras are not my only spending habit. Fortunately I do no drugs, legal or illegal. I avoid health care except for hobby purchases, that is my health care plan. I was once in the Medical world. So DX mirrorless, hope it is great in stills and video!
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Well I wouldn't hold my breath for this considering this rumor is almost 4 years old now, and obviously nothing has come of it yet.
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    mhedges said:

Well I wouldn't hold my breath for this considering this rumor is almost 4 years old now, and obviously nothing has come of it yet.

Except that what has become of "nothing having come of it yet" is that Nikon has stumbled allowing Sony to bump past it into 2nd place. [Kind of like back when Nikon stumbled allowing Canon to bump past it into 1st place].