What would be cool in a Df2?

heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
edited September 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
1) the sony 12 MP sensor
2) 51 AF points
3) a Pop up flash (tilt for bounce). commander mode.
4) A bright flippy screen for waist level shooting.
5) super quiet shutter. like the D810.
6) new 3 way input for manual adjustment of shutter, aperture and ISO.
Post edited by heartyfisher on
Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Comments

• WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    I would like to keep it the same except a 2nd sd card and the D810 sensor. No other changes. Call it the DFx. Well, more AF points covering the whole frame would be good, but if it had a single AF point, I could live with that for the use I have in mind.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Highlight Metering like the D810.
    Af system like D810
    2nd Sd Card
    Official Nikon Battery Grip
    Pop up flash tilt for bounce like the fuji xe1 that I liked so much.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Why would you go back to 12 mp?

I would say make it look like a F4 to get a more substantial grip. I think adding video would be helpful too, a lot of people want that.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • NikonMickNikonMick Posts: 41Member
    I'm very happy with the spec of the Df as it is, but think Nikon missed the boat with the design of the bodyshell.

My understanding is that the Df was meant to appeal to the "retro-ness" fascination of some current camera design. IMHO the design was not successful in trying to achieve this aim.

My preference is for a body that mirrored the Nikkormat FT-3 of the late 70s, with the internals of the current Df.

In fact I was so taken with this idea, I went to my local camera shop last December (2013) and snapped a pic of the Df and an FT-3 side-by-side.

May be of interest.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68039985@N08/11213892414/in/photostream

Michael

• moreorlessmoreorless Posts: 120Member
    I'd say the introduction of a better manual focus indicator would help, maybe someone actually at the top/bottom of the viewfinder showing focus on a sliding scale akin to the Contax RX.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Why would you go back to 12 mp?
    Usable 25600 ISO with minimal NR
    upto 104000 ISO for B&W with some moderate NR.

Thats from the sonyA7s reviews. Maybe expeed4 can make it even better !

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited September 2014
    All the threads, about Camera that do not exist, prove one thing
    Nikon cannot please all of the people all of the time
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • gnoshmegnoshme Posts: 14Member
    Not sure if this would the Df2 or maybe more of a Dfg so to speak. I'd really like to see a camera that isn't just about retro looks but also bring some nostalgic ways of taking photos, so here's my wishlist.

1) If it needs this much space to fit all the electronics there's a better way to do it. An FE with motorwind was a hefty beast, but it was hefty in a much more satisfying way. Instead of making the Df look like an over-sized FE make it the same size as an FE with a faux motorwind on the bottom to make up for the smaller "body". In effect - you are picking up a camera like a vintage nikon with a motorwind.. and that gives you a nice grip too.

2) As others have said. Lose the ridiculous lock on the shutter speed. If 1/3 or 1/2 clicks can be engineered then that would be good.

3) Not sure why it never caught on, but as someone who often shoots in aperture priority mode, I'd love to see the comeback of the backlight compensation button like the EM/FG series. Put it over there by the left index finger and make it a programmable function button for stop down or bracketing etc.

4) Dear God please give me a viewfinder with an analog needle in it! If you do, I will stop drinking and cursing and all the other things I do that you probably aren't all that crazy about. Seriously. How astonishing would it be to drop the crappy +- along the bottom of the viewfinder leaving that for just info and have a glorious analog "current" and "goal" needle situation along one side like any number of Nikons of the past. When I pick up any number of old nikons I yearn for this simplicity of communication in a modern camera. Damn you cameras of the 90s for weaning people off this beautiful thing.

5) Easily available split prism focusing screen. To make vintage lenses work so well without adding this is a travesty.

6) Don't add a flash if it's going to change the look.

7) Video.. no reason why not

8) Definitely dual card

9) The MASP control has lots of room on it.. what about a U1, U2, U3???

10) AF assist light would be nice if could be made to look retro.. which it could.

That would be a good start.

K
    A second SD card, the D810 af system and a 36 megapixel sensor are the two main items on my wishlist. Then it would be perfect. I would even pay the price of a D810 for it.
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    A second SD card, the D810 af system and a 36 megapixel sensor are the two main items on my wishlist. Then it would be perfect. I would even pay the price of a D810 for it.
    Why not get a D810?
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    As already posted, focusing screens!

If you want people to use MF lenses, interchangable focusing screens are a real help.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
    Why not get a D810?
    I already have a D800.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    4K video
    Interchangeable focusing screens.

I know I am beating a dead horse on the 4K video on Nikon, but I just got an RFP for support of a 4 K video system from MIT, of all places, and I don't even have a camera of my own that will do 4K. I'll probably have to go buy a Sony a7S. I can't imagine why Nikon doesn't want to get ahead of this.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • brownie314brownie314 Posts: 72Member
    edited October 2014
    Crop sensor from D7100. Smaller body, but still good external controls. AF from D7100. Sell body only for $1000. Sell in kit with new 24mm f/2 DX lens for $1300. Sold.
    Post edited by brownie314 on
  • Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    After shooting a DF all last weekend I personally wouldn't change much.

The things that I found that needs improvement:
    Pro Metering (D800/10/4) needs to be added. This was tricked quite often in very difficult situations. With that the Menu and customization options of the D800/4 need to be added. Outside of that the performance was very good.

Physically it was quite nice. Having an optional grip (needed it to be deeper, but not all the time) would be very nice. It needs a better thumb bump. Add a selection of "auto iso" to turn it on and off would be great on the ISO dial. The exposure compensation lock needs to be removed - that is a pain. I didn't use the front dial at all - I found it fairly useless.

The sensor needs to stay at the 16mp (D4/pro low) light sensor. It is just phenomenal. I don't care what some review sites say or some BS downsampling claims, they are all full of it. I shot an event (about 1,000 images each) with my D800 and the DF and the DF in low light kicked the D800's ass. It wasn't even close. I let my D800 go to 5000 (max I ever let it) and let the DF go to 12,800 and both pretty much shot at the max all night. Every image from the DF looks better, edited better and printed better. I sold more DF shots from the event than the D800. That is the real test. There are already 24mp & 36mp systems, keep this the low MP high ISO champ.
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • Tradewind35Tradewind35 Posts: 77Member
    Used to ponder this same question until I bought a DF.
    After several months enjoying my DF I now know what I want ...... another DF.................................. so I can have DF(1) and DF(2)..... perfect!