Nikon D750 -- General Discussion

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited October 2014
    Is that true, that D750 have the same AF system as D4s? Do you guys know anything about this?

Anyone tried shooting sport with D750 already? What do you think?
    No, Actually the spec sheet says the D750 has BETTER AF than the D4S.

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited October 2014

So you are saying the D800E is the better camera?

I like Macro best.. and my 70-200 F4 (street, random details/patterns, general wild life). Other than that just general photos.. and scenery.
    For some the D800E is better than a D800 but it's splitting hairs. The higher used price reflects the difference of the new cameras. No surprise to me.
    Actually I am comparing the D750 with the D800E. as I can get them for the same price although its a "lightly used" D800E.
    I am thinking as a Camera the D800E is probably the better choice. but the Geeky bits of the D750 are so distractingly good. !

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2014
    O sorry, @WestEndBoy of course, @Ironheart knew it should be something like that. I hate the white AF help light build in camera's so I bought the Yongnuo YN-622N-TX ($ 45.-) to handle my flashes from the camera. It has a red help light and a button to switch it on and off. The unit is not big and I have it in my bag. I focus hardly in the dark now and quick. Why do they make the help light white, stupid.

I also use it as a wireless trigger with the YN-622N, very long range. My WU-1B has a range of 3 meter.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • photobenphotoben Posts: 3Member
    edited October 2014
    Loving my D750, all good so far, just tested out video for the first time today. Been shoot ing with D700 for a few years, and waiting so long for a decent replacement (36mp is too much for an events photographer), at the start of the year I ended up selling my old bodies, and picking up mint condition second hand D700 because there wasn't anything else out there! Thankfully now I'm sorted, what it can low light is brilliant. And the wifi is brilliant. I now will have to sell my CamRanger!

Anyone got any tips to share? I've found changing the EXIF to a Nikon D5300 means you can import to Lightroom no problem.

My only problem really is changing the ISO is pain in the ass. I wish they would change it so if you held down the Pv button and used the thumb scroll you could the ISO, currently you have to use your other hand, and it always turns on the rear screen when you do!
    Post edited by photoben on
  • D750newbieD750newbie Posts: 20Member
    You can set the movie record button to manage your ISO, maybe that would help...
    Can you? I really need to read the manual. Interestingly Nikon customer service didn't think to suggest that when I emailed them. Cheers will give that a go.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Read the manual cover to cover. You will be amazed what you will learn even though it is an upgrade.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member

Actually I am comparing the D750 with the D800E. as I can get them for the same price although its a "lightly used" D800E.
    I am thinking as a Camera the D800E is probably the better choice. but the Geeky bits of the D750 are so distractingly good. !
    Oh my what a decision. This is a tough one. My suggestion is to really think about what you shoot, understand your requirements then evaluate both excellent cameras to see which one best meets your requirements. That is a heck of a position to be in. :\">
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Read the manual cover to cover. You will be amazed what you will learn even though it is an upgrade.
    @D750newbie - welcome to NRF and contgrats on the D750. I echo WestEndBoy's comment...read the manual cover to cover and have the camera in your lap or next to you so you can try out things. There is a ton of stuff buried in the manuals. Also check your "Function button", you maybe able to engage ISO and then just trun the rear wheel to the ISO setting you want. Not sure about that so look up function button in the manual and go read that page or two.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    Well I ordered a D750 and it's on the way - anyone want any more information once I have it in my hands or at this point is there enough out there already?

I also have a D800E and a D3s for any direct comparisons anyone wants there. If it goes well, both of those bodies will be up for sale and the replacement will be a second D750. :)
    Got any more info Postman? What do you think?

• skopusnikskopusnik Posts: 3Member
    Is that true, that D750 have the same AF system as D4s? Do you guys know anything about this?

So, that means it works REALLY GOOD? Fast and good in dark?

• PostmanPostman Posts: 59Member
    It's scheduled to arrive tomorrow, taking a bit longer to get here as I've ordered from HK.

I've gone for a grey import into the UK from a retailer with a great reputation here and a TP 3 year warranty for a pretty substantial saving of £526 ($837) :)
    Done a few events in low light, AF no problems. The facial recognition is great.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator

So, that means it works REALLY GOOD? Fast and good in dark?

I have seen nothing that makes that claim. The D4s has the best AF system in the Nikon's FF lineup.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    Nasim's excellent opinion here has a good breakdown of auto-focus performance by use-case.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited October 2014
    The AF system on my D4 has never let me down...specially in some very, very dark setting. On a few occasion I have needed to shoot at -2EV. For those that need to shoot below it, hence -3EV, then the D750 is your only option.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    That is very impressive performance regarding auto-focus. Nikon really upped their game on the D750 and produced a winner.
    Here is a review that sings the praises of the D750, entitled "Nikon D750 Review: Nikon… You’ve Created a Monster"

http://petapixel.com/2014/10/14/nikon-d750-review-nikon-youve-created-monster/
  • skopusnikskopusnik Posts: 3Member
    Thanks for links to that reviews guys, now I'm pretty sure what's my next buy :D
    LOL !! Time to buy Nikon shares :-)

• PostmanPostman Posts: 59Member
    Mine has just landed, HK to Manchester in 3 days.

First impressions - build quality: this is no D6xx. It feels compact and solid. Not as solid as the D800 series, but certainly not flimsy. It doesn't look at a glance that much smaller compared to the D800e, but when you pick it up it is noticeably lighter and thinner. The hand grip is tiny by comparison but in my opinion much, much more comfortable to hold. It is however perhaps deceptively small, a true sense of just how small can be seen when sat next to a D3s.

The AE-L AF-F button falls comfortable enough to use naturally as AF-ON as I do. Handling wise, it feels comfortable with the 24-70/2.8 and balances really quite nicely,but the 70-200/2.8 was my one concern. I know the 70-200 is a beast, but I can have that on my 800E and feel at ease, content to let it hang if my other hand needs to be rummaging and a bag or pocket elsewhere. The lightness of the D750 though really makes a difference, the lens really feels like it's hanging off the camera to the degree where you feel like you should hold the lens, not the body - this is indeed what I will be conditioning myself to do.

That's it for now, I'll perhaps get around to shooting some high ISO comparisions with the D3s at the weekend but specifically shooting in poor lighting with shadows. I also want to see how it fares for overall sharpness. My 800e and my copy of the 24-70/2.8 I'm sure were made for one another and produce astoundingly sharp photographs, so I'd like to see how far off the 750 is in that particular area too.

• JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    Awesome, thanks for the word Postman. Shutter sound has been a concern for many. Would you consider the D750 shutter sound compared to both the D800e and D3s to be a little more dampened and muted? I found the difference between the D750 and D810 to be virtually the same for me. I own a D700 and it's definitely quiter than that body.
  • BrainBeatBrainBeat Posts: 54Member
    Hi guys I have not bothered reading all of the previous posts but thought I would share my experience so far.

I have only had my D750 since Sunday as I was going to hold off and see if the mythical D400 was ever going to appear but when a local camera store for me in Australia (Teds) had a 15% off sale on all Nikon stuff for just the weekend it made the price just too good to pass up.

Firstly I have been a DX user for about 5 years now starting with a D500 and then getting the D7100. For me it would seem to me to be the obvious choice for anyone like myself to upgrade from Dx to full frame as the body is basically the same as the D7100 with 1 button placement different and not that much heavier. Also having the flippy screen is something I missed on my D7100 as I did actually use it for shooting over crowds or from a higher than eye height perspective fairly regularly so now that I can do it again it is great.

The high iso noise is so much better than any other camera I have used (including a D3). True it gets a bit clumpy and in jpg the amount of colour noise is extremely low even at H2. Not that I hope to be using it a lot past 3200 (which is very clean) it is great to know the extra higher iso numbers are very usable especially if they are only for the web or small prints. The colour also for the most part stays true at these high iso levels with the only issue I have found so far is photos taken under fluorescent lighting tend to have green cast to them.

I must say I have been very happy with the focus system on my D7100 with it normally getting the right point the majority of the time. The D750 however is even better and I do not think i have missed many shots at all and it seems a bit faster too especially in low light.

My biggest problem having this camera is all of my glass is DX but I am lucky I can borrow about any full frame lens I need.

If anyone reads this and wants to ask any questions please feel free to and I will try and respond. Personally I would recommend anyone who is thinking about getting one just go and get it (especially if you can get a good deal like I did) as it is a great camera especially for those wanting to upgrade from DX.
  • kostas999kostas999 Posts: 1Member
    I just receive my d750 and i would like to ask if its possible to have all the time autofocus during movies.