Nikon remote on an Android device

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited August 2013 in General Discussions
Sharing this I found out recently.

Nikon has a WirelessMobileUtility for Android.
I have Android, so I cannot check anything for iPhone or Ipad.
With this Nikon app you can control your Nikon camera from your phone or tablet.
This app is very limited, but it works well, look it up on internet.

What I want is complete control via Wifi on my Android tablet and Android phone.
This includes HDR, Timelaps, Focus stacking, etc, etc.

There are a couple of wired solutions to connect your camera to the computer and some of them has app's for wireless connection. I found a couple on internet, but there must be more.
The good ones required a box you connect on your camera and the are expensive.

Here some I found.

- Promote Control System, Golf007 works with it and can tell us all about it.
- IUSBport Camera Hyperdrive,requires to buy a box.
- Camranger, requires to buy a box.
- Helicon remote, does not support the Wu-1A/WU-1B connector (yet).

If your Nikon don't have build-in Wifi, you can buy the Nikon WU-1A or WU-1B adapter.
First check which one is for your camera and if your camera is supported.

I have the D600, so I bought the WU-1B and installed the Nikon WirelessMobileUtility.

You connect your phone to the WU-1A/1B in your wireless connection on the tablet or phone, you see it as Nikon_WU and a number. Then start the app and you get a liveview from your camera and the possibility to focus on a point and make a picture. You can send this to your phone or leave it on your camera. You also can view the Pictures on your camera. That is about it you can do, very simple.

The connection was not stable, because my DScloud app tried to connect continuesly, that is why you should stop all app's which are trying to connect to internet, when you use this.

Then I searched on the internet to a DSLR remote app and found one for free.
It is called DslrDashboard and I have nothing to do with the maker of this app.

It worked when I attached it with a cable to my phone, but it took a little time for me to get it started via Wifi. When you start the app and your camera is on, press the back button on your tablet or Phone, you see the options - Start network server - Connect to OpenWrt/Linux DslrDashboard server - Connect to WU-1a/1b. I only checked the last one and don't know what the other options do.

With a couple of tries it connected to the camera and I had liveview on my phone and options to change ALL the camera settings, also more options, like bracketing, timelaps (not working by me yet) etc. and I could even start film recording. On your screen you can tap the point where you want to focus on, very useful for macro.

I hope I teased everybody to share more possibilities.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on
Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!

Comments

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Triggertrap mobile has something similar and it's wired as far as I know
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2013
    Yes, good to mention this one and I will try that. If you have an iPhone or Android phone, the unit to connect, for your camera (they support a lot of camera's) is only 30.- euro ($ 30.-). You connect this with a sound cable to the earphone plug from your phone, install the app and you can have a lot of fun, endless creativity.

It react on light, sound, movement even faces, check it out on there site. It has no live view, but you can set everything. For live view maybe you can use LR tethering or so.

They also have a system with sensors for around 320.- euro with a lot of possibilities

To go via Wi-Fi you need to connect it to an Android phone or iphone, set as - slave unit -. Then with another Phone, set as master, you control everything. I read an article from a wildlife photographer, who uses it like this.

You can use a sound as remote too :) . Good news, I installed the app in my old Galaxy Tab 7 with version 2.3.

I feel a new topic coming up in the future.
  • jj168jj168 Posts: 15Member
    Try DSLRDashboard, pretty similar to CamRanger i think.
  • yerpyerp Posts: 1Member
    HI been using DSLRDashBoard for few months know. DLSRdashboard works well but is in beta at the moment. The program is for android only and may come out with a version to work on pc's and mac in the future. if you have android device that has standard USB connection to the device then you will not need an OTG cable if have to connect to micro usb. note that not all android devices will work if the device not have full usb functions.

I found that the WU-1a/1b when using with D600 and nexus 7tablet that connection drops at times so the WU-1a/1b did drop out too using the Nikon WirelessMobileUtility so my feeling is that the wireless adpater has weak output signal at times..

• MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi,

I use the WU-1a with a modified Nook Color and a Droid Razor phone and the D7000 and the DSLRDashBoard - they work fine.

My best,

Mike
  • Checked the reach of the WU-1B. The maximum was 3 meters, further away no connection.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The spec is 49 feet, or 16 meters. What were your test conditions?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2013
    Think I have a bad copy. Could not get a connection beyond 3 meter in the garden. Then I connected next to the camera, walked back and I saw the signal fading and lose connection after about 3 meter. Did it several times.
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    edited August 2013
    TriggerTap sounds interesting.

I have been using Helicon, attached through the USB port to a Nexus 7 which I can hold comfortably in one hand. I have also used Breeze Systems (breezesys.com) remote software which gives excellent remote control for Nikon, and Canon cameras.

Helicon has more features for me, but both work flawlessly for me. The best remote really depends on what you want to do with the remote so read the features carefull before you buy. Helicon is a macro, and landscape photographer's dream come true because of it ability to control depth of field. Bracketing on both systems is a snap. Breeze Systems remote can be expanded, by buying multiple copies of the software, to control multi-camera setups.

On screen size; I feel cramped on a phone screen, but still like one hand free which is what made the 7 inch Nexus 7 ideal for me. I do not mind being tethered to the camera for most subjects, but untethered is definitely advantageous for portraits, and posed shots. Again, it depends on what you want to accomplish.
    Post edited by TriShooter on
  • You better wait till the TriggerTrap for Android is ready, they are developing it now. I bought it, Android is missing things that are implemented for iPhone. It has a very short cable, but with a simple audio cable you can solve that.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Did the WU-1a work out for you? how is battery life? I'm considering this for my selfies..

I actually want to be included in pics with my kids and hardly anybody wants to take pics and when I setup the lights for shots I am usually the setup subject and I'm doing a remote trigger and well maybe this will help get good a good shot instead of guessing.

the reviews are mixed at Nikon and BH what are your experiences with it?
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    No issue with battery life so far. I have had no issues with using a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 2014 tablet or my Samsung Android phone. However, some times when I attach the file to a text or email, it won't send, error message on file format.

To be honest I need to work to see what the problem is, just not sure.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • aguatecaguatec Posts: 7Member
    Hi everyone. I am new here. I use a Nikon D7100 and am interested in remote tethering using Wifi orUSB. There is some great frees software such as Dslrdashboard and Helicom Remote, also for $30.00 USD Controlmynikon 5 is, in my opinion, the most flexible with FULL camera control and various Trigger options (movement, speech etc). The downside; no wifi option. With the Nikon Wu-1a wifi unit I have found out how to connect to Helicon Remote on Galaxy Tab S.
    If anyone interested I will post a reply. Shane
    Welcome @aguatec to NRF. Yes, I would be interested in how you connected to Helicon Remote. Thanks.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Here is how I connect my Nikon D7100 to Helicon Remote using wifi adaptor WU-1a.
    1. Turn on camera with WU-1a inserted. 2. Open your WiFi connections on you Tablet/PC/Android and select the Nikon -WU-22235600 (192.168.1.2) . 3. Open Helicon Remote-Tools-Network cameras-Add. 4. Add -Name D7100-Address 192.168.1.1 -Type: Helicon Remote (Port selected automatically) Click OK. Select Exposure in Helicon Remote (Top left) . The Nikon D7100 should appear as a blue box+camera outline+ D7100. Click on camera. If you have trouble connection make sure that your devise has not returned to your local network. If so restart camera and you should see the Nikon Wu network option reappear in WiFi connections. Reconnect and click on network camera in Helicon Remoye (sometimes you may have to try a couple of times. Once successful a blue "tick" appears in the blue box. Camera settings including live view on left of screen. Hope that works for you. Shane
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Do you have to disable camera sleeping?
    Always learning.
    In Customs settings menu Timers C2 I have set to 30 min. Can also be set to NO LIMIT. Shane
    Thanks Shane for the instructions.
    Ps to my 10 Oct posting; In step 4 In the Type options box try Helicon Remote OR NIKON WT. You will know which one works for you if in "Select a camera" the D7100 appears with a blue empty box + camera outline + d7100. Note: If next to the box a network sign (3 monitors one on top two underneath a line) that will not work. So try the other option, in fact I suppose one could try all four options to see which one works. Good luck! Shane
    More on tethering. I realy like Controlmynikon 5 software as it seems to me to be the most complete, especially with regard to triggers. here one can use web, sound,movement, and others. Down side; must be wired. However ,there seems to be a way to use a smart phone or tablet connected to the same network as Controlmynikon and issue commands such as "shoot" "af shoot" etc. Completed commands are confirmed. Having trouble actually getting my Galaxy Tab S to connect at the moment but working on it. Anyone with suggestions more than welcome.

Shane.
    PS. It may be noticed that I do not include an image. The reason; Kidnapping. I live in Mexico city and it pays to keep a low profile.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Hi Shane, please be sure to let us know if you get the tablet to connect because I have one and would like to use it.

No need for your profile shot to be your face BTW.
    Always learning.
    I think I have cracked it regarding tablet remote. Here goes:
    1. Open Controlmynikon.
    2. Turn on camera that is connected with usb to computer.
    3. In Controlmynikon in "Body" tab connect camera.
    4. Go to triggers and select WEB option.
    5. In IP address window use you computer IP address (If in doubt go to dos prompt type "ipconfig" to confirm computer IP address).
    6.Tick Enabled box above IP address box in Controlmynikon.
    7.Try "Test in Controlmynikon and it should appear in web browser on computer running Controlmynikon.
    8. On tablet web browser (Chrome works for me) Type in IP address. Should work.
    Notes: A: Any problem You may need to check if your firewall is not blocking access. I run McAfee and no problem.
    B. In Controlmynikon I have found that the command "AF Shoot" does not work. Stick to "Shoot command and all should be OK.

Good luck! Shane
  • Korre77Korre77 Posts: 2Member
    I have just bought a Nikon J5 and i wondered if anyone knows any app to control the camera with. Not Only taking and transfering pictures.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Nikon just released a new version of camera control that supports the V3 (main blog). The J5 can't be far behind.