New Nikkor 18–35mm f/3.5–4.5G ED FX lens

13»

Comments

• Nah...people invent all kinds of new lenses every day here... :D
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    :D wait 'til I come up with my 24-400/1.2 :ar!
  • PostmanPostman Posts: 59Member
    @darkslide
    Corrected 14-400 f/1.2 VR
  • @Postman Oh yes, I'd like that one - I'd probably buy two...
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    $750: roughly the same price as the Tokina 16-28 f/2.8. I had 20 minutes with the Tokina...great IQ IMO. Potential knock on the Tokina is that the build felt awesome but in the process it probably weighs two full pounds.

If the quality on this 18-35 is up to snuff, I think the choice will be pretty clear: fixed 2.8 vs. less than half the weight for a variable 3.5-4.5.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited January 2013
    18/1.8? Did I miss something?
    I think that is a CX lens for Nikon 1 cameras.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @ darkslide

Is there a failure on the tripod mount for the new 70-200mm f/4?
    Msmoto, mod
  • @Msmoto

Not that I know of. (See the thread relating to the f/2.8 v f/4 comparison)

Someone seems to consider the barrel a possible weak point, and after extensive laser testing concluded...well, nothing conclusive to my mind.

The tripod mount is a ridiculous amount of money - possibly due to the fact that the lens doesn't really need it**, and so it's likely that Nikon priced accordingly.

(** Being lighter, advanced VR etc.)
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    I think that is a CX lens for Nikon 1 cameras.
    Can't be. image There's only a 18,5/1.8 what I just learnt 17 seconds ago. No wonder, I'm confused. Again. But getting used to it.

• agehaageha Posts: 5Member
    edited January 2013
    Nope, it was a typo. There aren't that many recent FX lenses. I think it's pretty obvious.
    Post edited by ageha on
    Hmm, well now that we have that out of the way, lets refocus on the purpose of this thread... the new 18-35mm F3.5-4.5G. I think I might place a pre-order, not sure. I might wait until the price slips a bit in a few months.
  • moreorlessmoreorless Posts: 120Member
    I suspect you maybe waiting along time for a price reduction given Nikon's recent history, rebates are I'd guess the only way it'll be any cheaper in the next few years.

Personally it doesnt really look as good a deal as the 24-85mm VR to me, if you compair both lenses with the 24-120mm and 16-35mm its less of a saving and loses both VR and more of the better performing wide end. The 16-35mm might have alot of distortion and softness in the very extreme corners at 16mm but otherwise is a good performer where as the 24-120mm is dropping off in terms of sharpness all round at 120mm.

Actually copying Tokina with a 16-28mm(but in a small package without f2.8 and with a filter thread) seems like it would have been a better move to me. It would cutout the weakest part of the 16-35mm's range and give more of the UWA range most users will want.
    edited January 2013
    Nikon Canada doesn't force MSRP on dealers the way Nikon USA does, so street price is often $20-100 lower than Nikon's suggestion.

The Tokina isn't a very good deal here in Canada, coming in at $889.99. I'd be using the lens for landscapes, so I'd rather have the option to use filters.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • moreorlessmoreorless Posts: 120Member
    Even without an enforced MSRP though Nikon lenses don't really seem to be dropping in price after a few months. I'm guessing that besides rebates the main savings will probabley be on the grey market were prices of comsumer level lenses seem to vary alot more than professional lenses.

The Tokina perhaps shows you why the price is what it is, even the Tokina 17-35mm f/4 is 600g so Nikon are to the best of my knowledge offering the smallest/lightest UWA zoom with modern performance.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited December 2013
    I am looking at the Nikon 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 AF-S G ED VR to go on my little used D700. The idea is a second camera, I can always keep in the car

my main camera is a D800 with all the lenses I need

the 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 cost £430 in the UK ( this already pushing the budget for this project )

the 24 -70 and the 24 -120 f4 are both too expensive

the other option

sell the D700 and get a D7100 with the kit 18-105mm

any other suggestions

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I now have the D7100 seven, it is an excellent camera - if you get one, it would be interesting to see what you think of it. Another option would be the D7100 with the new 18-140, but the price is creeping up for that combo.

As you have the D700, and if I were you, I would do what you said and get the 24-85 kit lens for it.

Happy New Year.
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member

No its a different lens

Like I said evolution, not innovation...
    90% of the lenses Nikon has released in the last 10 years are evolutionary, not innovative. There is nothing innovative in modern lenses, aside from some coatings and computer designed elements. The optical design of the new lens is different, plain and simple.
    +1...totally agree about the new lens. Developing a F/4 model for a lower price point and improving the image quality is good planning.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • adsads Posts: 93Member
    I've read a couple of decent reviews on the 18-35 - does anyone here have any opinions on it?

Need to get an FX wide angle zoom for landscapes after stepping up from DX. Looking at my current shots most are in the 20-35mm (FX equiv) range, so I'm looking at the 18-35, 17-35 and 16-35. Tried a 16-35 in a store and found the corners a bit soft, but that could have been a demo lens that's seen better days...

Any advice on what to go for?

I shoot mostly f8ish for depth of field so max aperture isn't as critical, and it'll go on a D3x.
    Another option is the old 20-35mm F2.8D, but that's only available on the used market. It's a little soft wide open, but otherwise it is decent. It doesn't handle flare well. The best thing about the 20-35mm is the compact size and weight compared to modern wide aperture wide angle lenses.

I used to own that lens, but moved to the 16-35mm F4G VR, because the VR is outstanding for hand holding. Sharpness for landscape shots is no problem, and the lens has great flare resistance.

Larger version

Large Version | Hand held, with VR, at 16mm at ISO 100, 1/25s, F10.

Large Version | Hand held, with VR, 28mm, ISO 100, 1/20s, F8.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    PB_PM nice pics. I have been reading about the 16-35mm and think I will save for that one.
  • adsads Posts: 93Member
    Thanks PB_PM, those shots are a great advertisement for the 16-35 :-)
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    PB_PM...those are very nice pictures. A good wide angle lens is the only way to capture these images. Nice work.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |