For Videographers -- DJI Ronin Gimbal Stabilizer

Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
edited October 2014 in Other Manufacturers
For those that use their DSLR for taking lots of video's, the DJI Ronin 3-Axis Brushless Gimbal Stabilizer is right up your alley. For what you get in one complete kit @ $3000...it is hard to beat.

Post edited by Golf007sd on
D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |

Comments

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I'm starting to get into videos again. For now a video monopod and fluid head is in my near future. That does look awesome though. Maybe one day if I improve from iphone video to DSLR movies and editing I'll consider that for a serious shoot like a music video.

For now my first project besides the makeup videos I want to make a documentary of one of my relatives.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • cholsoncholson Posts: 17Member
    i was initially intrigued with the Ronin (and other smaller brands in the gimbal market), however, if you watch the footage closely, you'll see that there's still some quick jerks in the panning that just aren't smooth. that's a lot of money to be spending to still have that type of movement in your shots

i recently rented a Movi M5 and was amazed. great build, lightweight, and super smooth. the footage we got was amazing (using a Nikon D810 @ 60fps). the software allowed me to customize the majestic mode to get unbelievably smooth shots (with just a little practice). from what i can tell, the secret sauce is in the software and Movi has the lead right now in that category

there's a lot of gimbals starting to come on the market and prices will keep going down (and functionality up). that's a good thing for anyone wanting to shoot video with smaller cameras!

NOTE: to be fair, i haven't used the Ronin personally (and can only comment on the footage i see online). i have a friend who uses the Ronin and really likes it. no matter which product you pick, just remember that a gimbal is a tool that has strengths/weaknesses and won't magically make your shots perfect. expect to have to invest some time to learn how to properly use it
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    Dumb question: is there much in the sub $500 space that makes shooting video with a DSLR usefully smoother? I like this Ronin thing, but wow, power stabilizing and huge and good at walking around. I don't see myself moving more than 5-ft for some motion in product photography. Sorry, OT....
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • cholsoncholson Posts: 17Member
    at $500, the more traditional steadicam/flycam/glidecam setup is your best option at that price point. i previously owned a steadicam merlin... and while it's possible to get some great footage, it takes practice to use properly and time/patience to properly balance (and time is something you don't have extra of in the middle of a shoot)

if only going 5 feet of movement, the other option you have is a slider or crane/jib. those are limited to a set point or movement direction, but give great results
  • man4pakman4pak Posts: 1Member
    Maybe we are in a time of depersonalization, hiding behind the mask of a corporate identity. And, as I have also ordered items from large companies and never received any acknowledgement I understand the Nikon non-response. In my case the ISP I was using interrupted the communication with the seller's server and closed the window as if the order had been competed.