Memories firmware upgrade...please please Nikon

PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
edited December 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I have seen this else where, often misunderstood , but the ideas is to have a firmware update for the D810 that changes one of the banks on a D810 to simulate U1U2 well U3 and U4
to me its simple if you go to gig with a D800 and adjust for the lighting it stays as you set it even if you turn it on or off ...With a D750 if you turn it on and off in U1 it reverts to the original settings ( so you must leave it on ) What people want or seem to want is one bank that goes back to base settings when you go on and off and one that remembers your last settings. Not much to ask is it ....
Post edited by Pistnbroke on

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Eh? I checked this on mine. I have my starting point for night shots on U1 so I went from A to U1 and saw the settings change to what I expected then back to A again, still correct, then back to U1, turned camera off and on a couple of times then let it go to sleep and woke it up. Always saw the correct settings for the position of the dial. Are you sure you got the settings in U1 that you think you did (the first time I programmed U1, the settings didn't 'stick' so I had to do it a couple more times before they did). If I have misunderstood, let me know please and I'll try to replicate your problem.
    Always learning.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited December 2014
    Sorry spray this is a requested firmware update for the D8xx series to make one bank of the memories act like the U1U2 on a D750/D7100... its the two camps thing ... some like the D800 system some like the D750 system.Thom Hogan calls the D800 the pro system I call it the slow system...Ken rockwell likes the D750 system ..all good fun.
    On some forums there is a poll or petition to Nikon to get this done ..fat chance of getting Nikon to do anything sensible.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited December 2014
    I have never used a camera with U options and rarely use the my Menu on my D800
    Do have, (or need,)a thread on how people use these setting?
    I am right in assuming they cannot be used for VR and focusing
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
    They can be used for focus modes but not VR, man/auto focus or anything with a hard switch to activate it. It is extremely useful, I had it on my D7K and haveit on my D7100 and D750. It saves forgetting the little details that you learned last time you shot that situation. We do have a thread on it:

http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/492/d7000d600-u1-and-u2-settings/p1
    Always learning.
    Canon cameras 'forget' their settings when the body sleeps if I recall correctly, what a PITA that is!
    Always learning.
    edited December 2014
    ask yourself a simple question ..do you understand the difference between how the D800 style memories operate and the D7100 style? If you dont you wont understand the question. or is it april fools day and I forgot to laugh.
    Canon have C1 C2 C3 for custom settings .....
    Severncrossing memory not menu.
    Not owning a D800 or D810, the answer to your question (assuming it is directed at me) is no. But then I didn't need to in order to post my first response. You said:

"With a D750 if you turn it on and off in U1 it reverts to the original settings ( so you must leave it on )"

That isn't true hence my response saying as much in my experience. If I have got anything wrong, it is only as a result of you not making your point clearly.

sevencrossing was saying he doesn't use the 'My Menu' function or the memory banks.

Perhaps you could explain again @Pistnbroke?
    Always learning.
    edited December 2014
    The two menu banks on a D8xx operaate in a different way to those on a D7100(D750).
    There is a movement /petition on some sites to get nikon to do a firmware upgrade so that one of the banks on a D8xx operate in a similar manor to the D750 U1/U2....
    I just thought the rumors membership who use the D8xx would like to express an opinion
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I cannot say I've found much need for the U1/U2 type memory banks. The four banks on the semi-pro and pro cameras offer more flexibility, so menu diving is almost unneeded.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited December 2014
    ask yourself a simple question ..do you understand the difference between how the D800 style memories operate and the D7100 style? If you dont you wont understand the question. or is it april fools day and I forgot to laugh.
    Canon have C1 C2 C3 for custom settings .....
    Severncrossing memory not menu
    No I only have a D800
    but I would like a method of quickly returning to and locking my default settings
    ( aperture priority, auto ISO two clicks fast; bracketing OFF ; all +- set to zero; Auto focus af s ; auto white balance; RAW )
    With a clear visual indication that is what the camera is set to
    am I right in assuming U functions would do this

Post edited by sevencrossing on
    With the U1/U2 settings, you program them with whatever you want and get that when you turn the mode dial to U1 or U2, then when you have finished with the U1/U2 range, you turn the mode dial back to A,S,P or M and return to whatever settings you last used on that range.
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited December 2014
    One thing I've never understood about the memory banks on the pro bodies is why they are not accessible via the mode button. That would make more sense than the menu based switching that is available now.

It could work like this:
    Custom Shooting Bank (top LCD and viewfinder show SB): Turn rear command dial to switch between A/B/C/D
    Custom Settings Bank (top LCD and viewfinder show CS): Turn front command dial to switch between A/B/C/D
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    edited December 2014
    @pistnbroke, I totally agree: the pro bodies should have the option to save safe settings like it is done on the D750. Which, after Nikon, is also a Pro body. This banks are in my eyes absolutely crap. Meanwhile there are so many settings to adjust in each of those banks, be it basic or advanced settings, that I can't imagine any Pro person to recall all 4 basic banks plus all 4 advanced banks. I hate it each time I need them, that I must reckeck if I changed anything. To me they are close to useless. But then, the question is: can all these settings be put on a U1/U2 "superbank"? The basic settings alone: 112 rows, individual settings: 365 rows in a sheet. To me, it's overkill. I doubt that even the Nikon engineers will recall all those settings. And putting those on one U1/U2 doesn't make that easier to recall.

And I prefer the mode dial instead of that clumsy buttons, it takes too much time to shift from one bank to another. Those are really only meant for certain jobs like customer A wants reproductions, customer B needs certain fashion shots and so on.

The concept is very different: U1/U2 are a safe harbour to go back to if you went bad, while the banks are some kind of floating, unsafe settings. Easy to make errors.
    Post edited by funtagraph on
  • funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member

am I right in assuming U functions would do this
    Yes, that's what those settings do. And they do it in combination with a hardware switch, not by hopping around the menus...

Hooray the christmas fog has lifted ... yes U1 etc saves everything except VR even which battery to start with if you have a grip ....( can differ in U1 and U2).....now we cannot have a dial on the D8xx but memories that remembered is the point of the thread..
    You then have 4 predictable settings U1 U2 A P the first 3 of which are your settings.