Give Yourself a New Year's Gift

MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
edited December 2014 in General Discussions
Most of us on NRF have some degree of competency in handling a camera. Or at least we are seeking information to gain some knowledge of the how to's. For the most part we are into the technical aspects of capturing images, but content is not often discussed.

As a gift to yourself, find some old photo books about the photographers in the early days....early 1900's and up until the 1950's. Study what they photograph. Look at some of the grand masters, Edward Steichen, Weston, etc., grab The Family of Man, study it, and then go out into the world and look for life as portrayed by the early photographers and try to capture the same thing in your world.

This is not an easy chore. But, if one can actually try this, the rewards may be greater than one can imagine. Have fun in 2015 and enjoy your photography.
Msmoto, mod

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Nice idea Msmoto. Happy New Years to you and may 2015 be an exciting year...the "Year of the DX".
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited December 2014
    I'd love to go all Adam Ansel and go replicate some of his shots.

C'mon MsMoto, how about you sponsor me? :D

Sigh, even if you did, I wouldn't have the time. :(

Happy new year!

Edward Steichen would be a possibility, he did a lot of photos in NYC.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    I used a book containing Edwin Weston's images of vegetables for this purpose last year.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Interesting project Msmoto,, I am a member of one the oldest camera societies in the world, the Bradford Photographic Society which started in 1860. We have achieves of photographic books and images taken from the start of the societies beginning. We are just in the process of having the books and historical items, we hold, catalogued and this then will be kept in the National Media Museum so that the public can see the history and how photography progressed from 1860 to present time from a Yorkshire perspective. Some of the founder members were also involved in the creation of the Royal Photographic Society which as you will know has international fame.
    So I have plenty of choice to go at, if I find time to follow your idea.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    "Have fun in 2015 and enjoy your photography."

Amen to that and the same to you Tommie.
    Always learning.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited January 2015
    Hey NSX, did you catch the edition of Outdoor Photographer last year, which covered this exact idea to recreate all the Ansel Adams Classic shots? They used GPS, weather charts and various other technology to help recreate his works or improve upon them. For example, tunnel view, but with heavy snow. It was quite an interesting read along with a gear discussion about what the master would use today.
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    The idea of doing some images in the shadow of the Masters is something I love. For me, I will be doing more Route 66, maybe even doing a landscape.....primarily in South Dakota, Badlands, if it works out.

Another project is the WBCCI International in Farmington, NM, late June, early July of this year. This is an Airstream trailer rally, and presents some large challenges in how it can best be recorded, but I will be there attempting to grab the essence of the gathering.

My mind has a mental defect: Somehow, I think I can produce a great photo by simply walking out and pushing the shutter release. However, when I go to shoot a specific image, in some serious vein, I do spend some time, work out the logistics, and most of all recognize I must invest the time into the project. My understanding is the Masters spent a huge amount of time in producing the beautiful pieces of art we cherish today.
    Msmoto, mod
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    +1 Tommie regarding how much time the Masters spent setting up a photo image.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited January 2015
    +2 Ansel spent an incredible amount of time as I am sure everyone knows. 3 of my favorite quotes from the legend:

“Notebook. No photographer should be without one.”

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.”

“We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium.” – Ansel Adams -
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member

As a gift to yourself, find some old photo books about the photographers in the early days....early 1900's and up until the 1950's.
    Since you mentioned it.

http://petapixel.com/2012/07/17/common-photography-mistakes-made-by-beginners-back-in-1902/

"Why My Photographs Are Bad" by Charles Taylor is a photography book for beginners first published in 1902.

At least photographers are consistent in the mistakes we make. :)

Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    That is great ThomasHorton
    Msmoto, mod
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited January 2015
    Hey NSX, did you catch the edition of Outdoor Photographer last year, which covered this exact idea to recreate all the Ansel Adams Classic shots? They used GPS, weather charts and various other technology to help recreate his works or improve upon them. For example, tunnel view, but with heavy snow. It was quite an interesting read along with a gear discussion about what the master would use today.
    No I have not, I will look that up. Thanks for telling me about it.

By the way, do you have a link to the article within Outdoor Photographer? I was trying to Google it a little earlier.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member
    That's a nice idea, @msmoto, and a very cool find, @ThomasHorton! So funny!
    edited January 2015
    I believe it was January 2010? A bit older than I remembered but I found a few possible links below. The actual print edition had his famous shots like Tunnel View redone by current pros using modern equipment though so the links are a bit different...

http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/gear/cameras/dslrs-to-shoot-like-ansel-adams.html#.VK_LlMl4NrY

http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/gear/more-gear/be-a-digital-ansel-adams.html#.VK_L1Ml4NrY
    Post edited by kanuck on