Which Software/Plugin you absolutely need or want? Your software dream teams or wish lists!

limeblulimeblu Posts: 34Member
edited January 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
It was suggested to me a while back to maybe take a look at new techniques or programs etc to add to my photo collection. I am asking all of you but especially the pro shooters, What is or would be your most valuble piece of software for editing, or for a specialized technique, like focus stacking?, which is your favorite software/plugin toy to use? Which gives you the most increase in image enhancement? Basically I am looking for the best of the best for image production/technique. Price is of no concern so everything is on the table. If you own it great! If you wish you owned it Great! Lets not include light room/photo shop, any that is pretty much standard. Cheers and I hope this list grows well. Please also state why it is that you love this software.
Post edited by limeblu on

Comments

• paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Photoshop CC is what most professional photographers use and now everybody can afford it with their monthly plan.A lot will say Lightroom but if your on monthly P CC, you get Lightroom free. Plug-ins and there are hundreds depends on what your final plans are for your work. However most photographers prefer
    OnOne
    Nik
    Topaz
    Depending on whether you are on Mac or PC , there are some exciting new Mac softwares being offered Macphun have brought some new softwares which are cheap and easy to use.

No doubt others will have plenty to say about softwares
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I use Lightroom and randomly Photoshop.
    Nik Software comes with a package of tools form hdr to black and white editing and more
    presets : google free presets or a source i have used in the past preset heaven
    I have used the trial version of photomatix for HDR but since NIk software I haven't used it but I did like it.
    Snapseed for mac or ios. Sometimes I play with an image on the iphone and then go back and try to match it on the mac in lightroom or snapseed but prefferably Lightroom.
    For stacking I Have yet to purchase but Helicon Focus is highly praised.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited January 2015
    I keep trying plug-ins, but I find the ones that I have tried so far - NIK and Photomatix Pro to be clumsy and amateurish in their effects so I think it is just PS and LR for me. IMHO you cannot beat 3 x 2 stop bracket ettr'd and edited in PS as layers.

edit: NIK's silver efex pro is pretty good.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited January 2015
    Never used any plugins
    I use LR 5.7 and have CS5 for stuff that need layers. They do everything I need at the moment
    I suspect I will upgrade to the CC monthly plan, in the next few months

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Seven crossing Photoshop CS5 is now light years behind Photoshop CC and Adobe offer CC at special rates sometimes.If you are on a mac. Macphum Intensity pro and Tonality Pro are well with the time for the 30 day free trial.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    @spraynpray after google bought NIK I felt that the HDR plugin was less favorable. The previous version I liked more. Ever since the D800 I haven't really used it. Maybe I will try the PS method once again. I did bracket some photos over the summer than I can try this.
    I do have the pre-Google versions but still find them clumsy. In the early days I did get a few decent-ish results out of HDR pro, but nowhere near as good as PS.
    Always learning.
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    I use the NIK plug-in, Dfine. Had it before, and still love it post Google ownership.

I shoot JPEG to one card and RAW to another. If any of my favs were shot at high ISO, I go back to the RAW file, process it with Capture NX-D, clean up noise with NIK Dfine then import that into my library. It allows me to shoot higher ISO's.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • limeblulimeblu Posts: 34Member
    edited January 2015
    wow great input on this thread, bringing a lot of attention to software out there. I knew the big players would be on top, anybody have any smaller lesser known programs/plugins they are using? Love the guys that are only using shop/lightroom, the true and trusted standbys, myself, I am always up to trying something new and hey if it works, make space in the workflow, if not, at least I tried. Awesome forum!
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    Right now, settled on Raw Therapee and GIMP. I've used Photoshop for other purposes before, but I'm not too enamored with the subscription model...

I know this'll get derision, but I found that Picasa is really good for quick-n-dirty JPEG adjustment. I've also played with its more aggressive manipulations; here's an example:

Amped up the saturation, and did one other thing I can't remember...
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    I use Light room with the Enfuse plug in for focus and exposure stacking. The plug in is very easy to use.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    I've been using Lightroom since version 0.4b. Yes, I beta tested it. I have not done any beta testing since LR2.

I have found for my needs, it has everything. I had used some pre-sets in the past, but I did not really do anything where I needed Polaroid or Lomo effects.

Honestly, I rarely do much PP to mine. Depending on what I want, I may give a certain color a little boost, or do a B&W conversion, maybe clean up some noise or do a crop or level. I really have not played with as many features that is has. I have not used the red-eye tool, the brushes, gradient tools, etc.

I'm a pretty simple guy. I'm sure if I became more familiar with the options available in the newer releases, I could add another layer of pop to my [hotos, but I have been pretty happy since.
    @Hammie - Blimey: In the workflow thread you described yourself as a major tech-head but you do hardly any PP to your images? @-) They ALL benefit from some PP - unless you only shoot jpegs but that severely limits your possibilities.
    Always learning.
    @spraynpray

I know it doesn't fit. I probably need to spend some more time on my pics. If I can convince the wife for a 5K iMac, maybe I'll have more incentive than working on my 13" MacBook. ;)

I shoot RAW 99% of the time.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2015
    Adobe CC.
    Lightroom for the first PP (from version 1.0 till now),
    Photoshop CC to make the photo as I want.
    Sometimes.
    NIK silver efex pro, the top for BW, but that is Photoshop too.
    NIK color efex pro, I found out, mostly for the - detail extractor - on selections at the moment.
    Installed the TOPAZ collection a month ago, this has a lot of options available to customize, use it for noise reduction on different parts of the photo.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • limeblulimeblu Posts: 34Member
    edited January 2015
    I have been trying DXO optics pro 10 and it seems pretty solid. Have been using it for raw straight from camera and very nice for noise and clarity. Anyone else working with it right now? Will not stop LR or PS but liking it.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    All I want is an update to Aperture... I know Apple has called it quits on that front, and will go with Photos app whenever that one comes, but why??? We are quite a few that have thousands of hours invested in an Aperture WF, and like how it works.
  • FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member
    +1 @Killerbob ... I switched to Capture One first, didn't like its file management and switched to Lightroom, only to discover that the file management was the same. There are up- and downsides for both applications, what made me stick to LR was the easier handling of adjustment layers.

LR is missing skin-oriented adjustment options, e.g. with white balance or color adjustments. And the healing tool algorithm is a joke compared to Aperture, and even to CO8.

CO8 has the nicer import-from-Aperture tool, as some settings are converted. And better sharpening algorithms. You might want to check it out.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    I like Adobe for everything else, but Lightroom. The WF is bad, and I have a serious issue with previews scrambling up, and you're right, the healing and spot fix is terrible. Aperture rocks, but is (now) outdated.

I have high hopes for Photos App, but let's see. Until it is out I'll keep trying around, and use Aperture...
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I recently upgraded to PSE 13. I have been looking at plugins or alternatives to Photoshop cc. I don't have a big computer. I am using a laptop with a 15 inch screen, quad core AMD processor, 16 meg ram and dual 512k graphic cards.

What would any of you recommend, or have experience with. I read some of you use DXO, would you recommend it?
    edited January 2015
    The WF is bad,
    sorry, but WT* is WF
    edited January 2015
    Thanks Hammie

Killerbob said:
    The WF is bad,

I suppose it is what you get used to; how you configure it, set the defaults and presets
    It is not an intuitive program. It can take a long time personalise and get used to
    I have used it for over 6 years and am a self confessed LR fanboy

That's a 'me too' for LR. I don't get any previews 'scrambling up' and find the healing and spot fix adequate. I found the theory of it difficult for the first day or two, but once understood, have loved it ever since. Can't imagine shooting an event without it.
    Always learning.