Black Rapid Strap Cautions -- Older design

13»

Comments

• autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    I have several BR straps and have never had a problem but, I'm usually checking the swivel throughout the day. It's just a habit now without thinking about it. I've never had an issue. I recently purchased the newer double camera strap and find it to work extremely well. I have both cameras at my side which makes grabbing one to shoot so much more convenient. When adjusted correctly it works well. I shoot a lot of car shows so I tend to keep my hands on the cameras when moving so I can rotate one in front and the other to the back to slip through tight spaces. I've also shot several Motocross events and can run with the cameras by merely keeping my hands on the bodies. Not trying to sell BR but it has worked very well for me.
  • HipShotHipShot Posts: 528Member
    edited January 2015
    The info about the tripod socket got me concerned. For grins, I checked the fit of the clasp into the left camera lug . Looks like a fit.

BRStraptether
    Post edited by HipShot on
    edited January 2015
    Then I placed a bit of heat-shrink plastic on the buckle to have some peace-of-mind about it coming loose...
    BRStraptether2
    Post edited by HipShot on
  • DJBee49DJBee49 Posts: 133Member
    edited January 2015
    Like many others, I have been using a BR strap for some years with no problems. The engineering/load bearing discussion here is very interesting and has made me consider what I am doing more critically but I have a couple of thoughts to throw into the mix.

Firstly, are the lugs on the camera body not designed to distribute any load between both of them and would putting all the load onto one only not effectively double the designed loading? It would of course depend upon what the total weight was but it might be worth thinking about.

Secondly, if, as many of us do, you are using an 'L' bracket on the camera body (a Kirk in my case) onto which there is an Arca Swiss type plate (again Kirk for me) does this change the debate at all? Does the 'L' bracket not increase the surface area of attachment and to some degree distribute the loading- as it would on a tripod plate? You are still left with the single, BR screw attachment point into the 'L' bracket of course where all the load is finally concentrated but it is into the bracket, not the camera body. How strong is this I wonder, especially when compared to the strength of the tripod screw attachment on the camera body?

Thirdly, is it possible that attachment to the tripod screw on the body is not what we should be worried about, but rather how strong the attachment point on the tripod brackets of heavy telephotos' really is? That is surely where the real weight is on camera set-ups and they also have been designed as attachment points to tripods, not shoulder straps? I do not have any non-telephotos that are seriously heavy and (of course) always attach my BR strap and accompanying Arca plate to the lens bracket when using big lenses.

I think I will make a simple safety wire from high braking-strain fishing wire as a fail-safe, as you do with safety chains on stage lighting. Just in case! For me though, any secondary safety system that compromised the fluidity and speed of movement granted by the BR strap would defeat the purpose of having it in the first place!
    Post edited by DJBee49 on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited January 2015
    @HipShot: I like the sleeve idea, but I would probably use a rubber sleeve to make removal easier.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    I have the Nikon Blackrapid version released last year.

It has the screw lock and a black plastic snap closure to keep the screw mechanism from unscrewing.

I have the connector mounted in my tripod hole and the tether strap to my right strap connector.

I really like it.
    @spraynpray: Yeah, I'll probably have to cut that off with an Xacto knife when the time comes.

@Hammie: Is the black plastic snap available à la carte?
    edited January 2015
    @HipShot: I do not know if that part is sold separately. It has Black Rapid stamped on it so maybe from them, but not through Nikon.

The one I have is the AN-SBR2 model. There is an S model that is for the smaller V and other P&S cameras.

Post edited by Hammie on
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited January 2015
    That's impressive, no pad being required despite the weight! I have not heard of these Boss Straps before. Looks quite interesting I have to say... :)
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    More can be found on the BosStrap at http://bosstrap.com/

I have had mine for 3 three weeks and really love it. I got the generation 3 strap. They also make a double strap set to carry two cameras.
    DSC_1103
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    That BosStrap seems a lot less bulky than my Black Rapid strap.

Very nice.
  • NukeNuke Posts: 64Member

I have had mine for 3 three weeks and really love it. I got the generation 3 strap. They also make a double strap set to carry two cameras.
    DSC_1103
    The strap looks fine but does it always attach to the camera? I don't think I'd like to carry a 300 or 400mm f/2.8 lens with the straps attached to the camera.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Nor should you, there is a reason that those lenses have their own straps.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Nor should you, there is a reason that those lenses have their own straps.
    I assume your replying to me? Yes they do but they are awful straps and dig into my shoulder and neck. IMO, not suitable for carrying the combination any distance.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Yes, I only quote a post if it is separate from the one I'm replaying to.

When I've rented super telephoto lenses I've always carried them by the tripod collar (via tripod or a strap mounted to the collar). Never used the included strap either.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.

DSC_1103
    The strap looks fine but does it always attach to the camera? I don't think I'd like to carry a 300 or 400mm f/2.8 lens with the straps attached to the camera.
    No it does not have to be always attached to the camera. There is a quick disconnect so you can keep the strap on your body and the short connecting strap on the camera. There is a black sleeve that slips over the toggle release so you don't accidentally release the camera from the strap.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    @Photobug;

Sorry! I guess I never explained myself very well? What I was getting at, is there a way to attach it to a lens?

For short focal length lenses, I normally just use a padded camera strap. I need something much better and more comfortable if I'm carrying a long telephoto. I'm currently using a Black Rapid but as being discussed, there are issues and you have to be careful with them. I connect to the collar but I use a secondary nylon strap to connect to the strap lug on the lens.

Sorry for not being clear.
    @Photobug;
    Sorry! I guess I never explained myself very well? What I was getting at, is there a way to attach it to a lens?
    For short focal length lenses, I normally just use a padded camera strap. I need something much better and more comfortable if I'm carrying a long telephoto. I'm currently using a Black Rapid but as being discussed, there are issues and you have to be careful with them. I connect to the collar but I use a secondary nylon strap to connect to the strap lug on the lens.
    Sorry for not being clear.
    @Nuke, yea I missed your point about securing the strap to the lens. If your lens collar or foot has a machined area for a strap connection, yes you can connect the BosStrap directly to that collar or foot. My suggestion it to check out the BosStrap web site @ http://bosstrap.com/

The RRS "L" brackets and some of their flat camera brackets have the cut out area for a strap connection. In your case you need a lens plate with that cut out. I would check out the RRS web site to see if their lens plate has that attachment area on one end. Here is the link to their lens plates:
    http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/Lens-Plates-Foot-Replacements-Collars/

Finally, there is another solution that Golf007SD likes. Buy the RRS B2-FABN screw know clamp with strap bosses, $70. Here is the link to this clamp:
    http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/Screw-Knob-Clamps/B2-FABN-38mm-Screw-knob-clamp-with-strap-bosses.html

If you have your BR sling screw attached to your tripod socket on the bottom of your DSLR, just unscrew it and screw it into the bottom of you B2-FABN clamp. Then secure the clamp to the lens plate, assuming it has the standard Arca-Swiss groves on the lens plate. If you don't have a camera plate or "L" bracket, buy one and attach to your DSLR. Then when you switch from that long lens to a wide angle you simply turn the knob to loosen the clamp and move it from the lens plate to the DSLR plate or "L" bracket and rescue. Very quick and simple. If you will scroll back a page or two you will find the video from Golf007SD demonstrating how this works.

Hope that helps.

Lots of basic information, but a good overview of camera straps and slings.
    http://www.photographytalk.com/photography-articles/5029-7-tips-on-how-to-buy-the-perfect-camera-strap
  • itsnotmeyouknowitsnotmeyouknow Posts: 481Member
    edited January 2015
    That had to be quite old - I found a photo of me with mine so I have had it 5 years and I have the lock on the carabiner.

There have been a few different "screw" attachment styles over the years. I like the Sun Sniper's the best since it allows free rotation and much less worry about it coming unscrewed. I generally have my 70-200 attached to it and a lens pouch with either another zoom or primes on my belt while my strap is wrapped around my wrist. (yeah I know that must sound odd to some) It is amazing how much that lense starts to spin.
    Ah the sun sniper. I wouldn't touch that with a very long bargepole. Had my 645D on one and it dropped....twice. One time as I was walking alongside a cliff, and I caught the camera in my hands. Second time I wasn't so lucky. It came down on the hard floor of an airport damaging the camera and a £1800 lens. The camera cost £800 to repair and would have been more had I wanted the scratches on the front of the camera repaired. The lens was written off. Wouldn't go back.
    Post edited by itsnotmeyouknow on
    Check out Golf007sn's recent experience with his BR sling. This is exactly why I did not go with the BlackRapid and went with the BosStrap. Besides, I prefer using the camera lug and not the tripod socket or the socket built into a "L" bracket or using the RRS clamp onto the "L" bracket.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    edited January 2015
    I don't think it had anything to do with his BR sling. Something to do with a ballhead.
    Post edited by Parke1953 on
    I don't think it had anything to do with his BR sling. Something to do with a ballhead.
    Oh he had two accidents, one due to a ball head and one do to the swivel connection point coming off the camera.