D3300 with external flash

PapajerryPapajerry Posts: 3Member
edited January 2015 in D3x00
I'm an advanced novice from the old F1 days and bought the 3300 for my wife. Generally quite happy, and wanted to use external flash. I read previous posts with speed light vs YN flash units. She has the YN560 II unit and get acceptable results with unit on shoe. However, the onboard flash pops open each time though only partially and I'm worried about physical damage to it. Not worried about the YN, just the small pop-up unit getting scarred or electrically damaged because it doesn't stay shut when using YN on shoe. Any advice?
Tagged:

Comments

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited January 2015
    What shooting mode are you using? Is she shooting in Auto-Mode? If so, just turn the pop-up flash off. On the Main Model Dial (page 4 on the manual) turn to wheel so that it turns it off. It's the lighting bolt with the line through it.

Now if she want to take full control of here light, then I wold recommend for her to shoot in full Manual Mode or at least in Aperture Priority. In this fashion the flash will not pop-up.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • PapajerryPapajerry Posts: 3Member
    Thanks golf. She is complete novice, but I do have her shooting in aperture preferred now, trying to teach her depth of field. she understand the concepts, just no experience. I grew up shooting manually-remember when Tri-X was the fastest thing on earth? It's been that long since I was serious
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Recommend the Nikon SB300 at $147 or the SB500 at $247 or the SB700 at $327. All three are good, especially the entry level SB300. It has some limitations, so just be aware of them. The Guide Number is higher than the built in pop-up flash and the angle of coverage is better.

If you want some more advance features and more power, then move up to the SB500 and SB700.

Finally, the D3300 is an excellent entry level DSLR. She can grow into it over how ever short or long period of time she wants. Don't be afraid of printing large images, the IQ (Image Quality) is excellent for this price point. Welcome to NRF.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Gaffers tape will keep it from popping up.
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    Sounds like the camera isn't correctly detecting the external flash..
    I've heard of this happening (even with Nikon flash units) when there is a problem with the flash contacts (could be caused by a slightly bent hotshoe or not properly seated flash unit) or even when the external flash unit is in sleep/standby mode and doesn't wake up fast enough!!
    In any case (as Golf007d said) it shouldn't pop-up at all if the camera isn't in Auto or P mode..

Cheers,
    Baldy. ;)
  • PapajerryPapajerry Posts: 3Member
    Thanks everyone. I had her snap a few shots inside on Aperature, change flash angle and the diffuser. Think we just to shoot a bunch in different settings to get confident. We go to Scotland in a few months and need to be ready by then