Apple Passes Nikon to Become Second Most Popular Camera Brand on Flickr

happygilmorehappygilmore Posts: 2Member
edited January 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras

Comments

• proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Or depressing. Let's face it ladies and gents, we're practitioners of a rapidly disappearing art form.
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    @proudgeek

I'm not sure about that. It you look at the top 5 listed two are cell phone companies. All this means is that more people are taking pictures than before.

The Big Camera makers hope that some of these people will eventually move to a dedicated P&S or DSLR camera.

I would also venture to say that the number of pictures by these "cameras" are crap... selfies, drunken people, etc.

Our "art form" is not going anywhere. I don't use flickr as a reliable analysis tool as to where the photography industry is moving.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I see no cause for concern here. You will always sell more Toyotas than BMWs.
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    I'm not saying that the art (and science) of photography is going anywhere. I'm just saying that fewer people will be doing it. Disappearing was a poor word choice.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Hah! when I read the title I was going to post 'How disappointing' but you beat me to it Greg.

I can't say I'm surprised or really that it means anything except how easy it is to post on Flickr from a phone. There is certainly nothing to be concluded from it regarding anything important.
    Always learning.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    This was the same issue in the days of Instamatics.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited January 2015

Just thought this was amazingly interesting
    Nothing new here. Moreover, if you find this info amazing then you have much to learn about the world of photography as we know it.

Lastly, when did Apple ever become a camera company? Could someone please point out where Apple's optical manufacturing facility is located at in California?
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    If anything we should be happy that more folks are taking pictures in general, and Nikon went from 8.8% to 9.3%.

As Mark Twain was fond of saying, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I'd be curious who designed Apple's optics and sensor chips. As far as I know, Apple outsources the development of hardware, they just end up using Linux and charging extra for it. For instance, they definitely source their displays from Samsung, but they're also the first to sue them for patent infringements.

I use Apple laptops, and while I like their software, you do end up paying an arm and a leg for it. I hate their mobile devices though. For all their software expertise, you'd think they'd be able to design a more intuitive iTunes.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • happygilmorehappygilmore Posts: 2Member
    Thanks Golf007sd

Are you always this antagonistic? I have been using nikon cameras and reading this site for years. Way to be inclusive.

That being said, Nikon doesn't use Nikon sensors in all their cameras. Throughout Nikon's digital history they have worked with Kodak, Sony, Toshiba etc.

Of course apple is a camera company. They make hardware and software that controls the sensor made by other companies. Just like Nikon makes software and hardware to control toshiba sensors.

Just thought this was amazingly interesting
    Nothing new here. Moreover, if you find this info amazing then you have much to learn about the world of photography as we know it.

Lastly, when did Apple ever become a camera company? Could someone please point out where Apple's optical manufacturing facility is located at in California?
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Apple uses Sony Exmor sensors in the iPhone.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited January 2015
    I, we, see a lot of trolls here on NRF, and I have not intention of being "inclusive" with such posters.

Apple send out a clear message when they canned Aperture last year. Thus, you don't need to educate me on Apple and Nikon and what they are and not. Try to respond to the question presented next time happygilmore so that it will yield a more healthy conversation.

Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
This discussion has been closed.