Nikon D750 -- General Discussion

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    So when I first read about this flare issue I thought DAMN - that will teach me to be an early adopter! I tried to be positive thinking it means I can get the AF fine tune done on my zooms and a free sensor clean. Then I read Nikon's announcement saying only 'some' D750's suffer from it and thought 'oh yeah, right, weasel words' (never trust anybody these days), but it seems mine doesn't have the problem at all (serial number 6010748). Now that is good, but it is also bad because it means Nikon must have an out of control process in the manufacture of their bodies. Bad quality due to parts failures is one thing but designed-in bad quality? Get a grip Nikon. The Tsunami is too long ago to use that old excuse anymore. You have loyal customers and generally great products - for now.

Anyway, it's all good for me - mine's going fine. :D
    Always learning.
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    spraynpray said:
    So when I first read about this flare issue I thought DAMN - that will teach me to be an early adopter! I tried to be positive thinking it means I can get the AF fine tune done on my zooms and a free sensor clean. Then I read Nikon's announcement saying only 'some' D750's suffer from it and thought 'oh yeah, right, weasel words' (never trust anybody these days), but it seems mine doesn't have the problem at all (serial number 6010748). Now that is good, but it is also bad because it means Nikon must have an out of control process in the manufacture of their bodies. Bad quality due to parts failures is one thing but designed-in bad quality? Get a grip Nikon. The Tsunami is too long ago to use that old excuse anymore. You have loyal customers and generally great products - for now.

Anyway, it's all good for me - mine's going fine. :D
    @Spraynpray: I'm glad yours is working fine without the flare problem, want to swap with mine? :D :D

Seriously, as I've mentioned earlier, I'll need to be sending mine to Nikon for the fix as soon as they announce the details.. Mine's serial number begins 6028 so it isn't just people with the first batch that are having the problem.

When I first got mine, I tried to see if I could reproduce the problem and when I couldn't, I thought I was OK.. (admittedly I didn't spend so long trying!) but then, at Christmas, I took some pics of my family's celebrations across my sister's living room, which is a fairly average North UK living room (you know, with one "big" light in the middle of the ceiling ;) ), and discovered that mine does in fact suffer from the problem :( :(

As everything else about the camera is really super, it wouldn't bother me at all (as I've mentioned before), except that when using the viewfinder the problem can't be seen in any way at all!!!!

I took some photos inside the Imperial War Museum in Manchester at 12800 ISO (because it's quite dark in there!!) and WOW!!! IMHO, they're better quality than some pictures I'd taken with my D7100 at only 1600 ISO!!!

Cheers,
    Baldy. ;)

You've got me worried now baldy! I'm going to check mine again...

Low light: My D750 is a good stop better than my D7100 - but that's all in my experience. Unfortunately, at the levels of light I shoot at (night sky shots) there are very few photons at all so both cameras struggle. Seriously, do a test, - exact same settings both cameras in the same light - and you will find the D7100 is better than you think.
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member

Low light: My D750 is a good stop better than my D7100 - but that's all in my experience. Unfortunately, at the levels of light I shoot at (night sky shots) there are very few photons at all so both cameras struggle. Seriously, do a test, - exact same settings both cameras in the same light - and you will find the D7100 is better than you think.
    +1 @sparynpray The low light ability of the D750 is amazing.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Spraynpray said:

Sorry @Spraynpray, didn't mean to worry you...

What I've found out since the flare occurred in my pics is that it needs quite a bright light or maybe a bit directional - an ordinary single light bulb won't produce the effect!! My sister's ceiling light uses 3 bulbs which are those newish "low energy" type which use LEDs.. I also found I could reproduce the effect holding one of those small stick up LED lights just above the end of the lens (just out of shot)..
    You can see the problem in Live View quite clearly, but not in the viewfinder. :(

With regard to the D7100, I agree it, too, is a fantastic camera, I have got some brilliant photos from it, I just always struggle a bit with its low light performance.
    I do quite a bit of outdoor portrait shooting in late afternoon or evening light (with a sort of local club) using focal lengths around 200mm. I'm a bit shakier now than I used to be, so even with an f2.8 VR lens wide open, I need to keep the shutter speed up by increasing the ISO.. I've packed up long before the other guys in the club (who are all using full frame Canons, actually) as the sun goes down. :(

I don't really do any night sky photography - I have taken the occasional photo of the moon, at ISO 100 on a tripod, but that's about it :)

Anyway, back to the D750, I hope after your re-test you still don't have the flare issue.. ;)

Cheers,
    Baldy ;)

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Shoot loose, crop tight. I learned this from the film days.
    I have ordered the MB-D16 battery grip for the D750. Still waiting on confirmation as to when they expect inventory to begin shipping. Anyone placed an order with Adorama or B&H and have you received an estimated shipping date? I waited too long, should have ordered in November. Bet I won't see on until April.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    @Photobug - Who did you order it through?

I ordered mine from B&H and still no updates to the shipping date.
    @Photobug - Who did you order it through?
    I ordered mine from B&H and still no updates to the shipping date.
    I also ordered mine from B&H. Keep me in mind and let us all know when you get yours.
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    Woke up to an e-mail from B&H. Thought it was shipped, but no. They just wanted to let me know that it is still on backorder and will notify me when back in stock.

I noticed Amazon now has it available to pre-order. They used to only have a refurbished model from a third party seller.
    That is the only way they could get it on Amazon is via a pre-order. They just don't allow out of stock postign, at least that way my experience. Thanks for the update.
  • KellynikonKellynikon Posts: 23Member
    edited February 2015

I've packed up long before the other guys in the club (who are all using full frame Canons, actually) as the sun goes down. :(

With the D7100, or even with the D750?
    Post edited by Kellynikon on
    @Kellynikon - welcome to NRF. We are a friendly bunch with lots of good and bad experience.
    Received an email from B&H Customer Service this morning regarding my order for the battery grip for the D750. Here is there response:
    One or more items from this purchase are still out of stock as we haven't
    yet received the merchandise from our supplier. We are sorry for any
    inconvenience this may have caused. We will keep you posted periodically.

We appreciate your patience and patronage. Feel free to contact us with any
    questions or comments about this order.
    ====================================
    I was hoping for we expect them by such and such date. Oh well the wait continues.
  • shimmishimshimmishim Posts: 1Member
    Does anyone have any idea when the D750 will be "re-released"?
  • TacoBillTacoBill Posts: 4Member
    My D750 arrived in Melville today for the Good Will repair of the flare issue. I hadn't really experienced the problem but my serial number came up as needing the fix on the Nikon website. Has anyone else sent their's in? What was the turnaround time? Had you experienced the issue and can you comment as to whether the fix is effective?

Thank you.
    Hi TacoBill, Welcome to NR.

Here are the answers you seek, please use the forum search function for specific topics before asking. I located this thread for you:

http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/3850/d750-service-advisory-official-announcement#Item_54
    Always learning.

I've packed up long before the other guys in the club (who are all using full frame Canons, actually) as the sun goes down. :(

With the D7100, or even with the D750?
    @Kellynikon: No, I meant with the D7100 I had to pack up because of failing light long before those using Canon FF cameras had to. I haven't yet had the chance to try the D750, but I'm sure it will be far superior.
    Cheers,
    Baldy, ;)

Shoot loose, crop tight. I learned this from the film days.
    Aim close, miss close. I learned that as a practical pistol shooter when the temptation is to 'spraynpray' (ooo-er, that's spooky...)

:P
    Always learning.
  • NEFastusNEFastus Posts: 3Member
    Having been wondering about what to upgrade from my D5100 (more of a adding to the team then an upgrade), I've came across a very curious detail when comparing the D610 and d750.

I was looking at the image quality comparison available at DPR and couldn't help but to think the newer camera has an somewhat better resolution. The difference was enogh to tilt me from certain of the d600 as next buy to scratching my head. The test images are claimed to be taken with the same lens model (perhaps the same copy, but who knows). Have anybody here seen similar comparisons? Is it my eyes? My monitor? My head? Or the angry G.A.S. driven psycho that made me see things? Since DxO hans't made it possible to compare resolution for the lenses tested with the D750, I'm left to the rocking boat that is doubt, and it would be nice to hear some critical thogths on this particular subject.

Anyway, this being my very first post to NRF, I hope not to be too smug getting and asking such questions nor offending anybody with my grammar.
    Thanks in advance.
    Welcome to NR NEFastus. Hmm, same sensor, same lens, perhaps there is a small difference within normal testing tolerance spread?
    Always learning.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited February 2015
    @NEFastus : Welcome :-)

Are you saying that it seems that the D750 is sharper than the D600 or D610? (you said D600 when you are deciding between D610 and D750) ... just confused.

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• NEFastusNEFastus Posts: 3Member
    edited February 2015
    @heartyfisher : Don't know why...
    (Sorry! I meant D610, and yes it, to me, looks sharper!)

I would put a cut-and-paste print screen, so you may have your say but I can't figure out how to post an image from my desktop... 8-}
    To me it's wierd for the difference it shows...
    If anybody disagrees as to if there is diference i'll shut it.
    My question is if is it real or not.
    I guess you'll have to look at it

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d750/13

then you'd have to change from the 6D (wich comes as standard) to the D610.

Cheers...
    Post edited by NEFastus on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited February 2015
    Nah ... you are just seeing things ... :-) ( and here its called N A S not G A S :-) )
    It's probably the opposite for me .. I want to justify keeping my D610 and not "upgrade" to the D750 ..
    :-)

Sorry just having you on.. ;-) .. back to serious mode. I have looked at your link. It is possible that the D750 may have some improvement in sharpness over the D610. The D610 has about a 6-8% improvement over the D600. I have not looked in to the D750 in great detail as there was no DXO data when I looked. However, I do not expect more than 1 or 2% difference as the theoretical maximum would be about 7% without AA filter. I wouldn’t take the sharpness into consideration when comparing D750 vs D610. The D610 is plenty sharp enough ... there is an active thread on the D3x on this forum at the moment with some amazing photos by a D3x user. The D610 is sharper than the D3x and image quality wise just about beats it in every way. .. so IQ wise you really have nothing to worry about.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.