31 Rolls of Film Taken During WWII Developed 70 Years Later

NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
edited January 2015 in General Discussions
Self explanatory title. Ever put aside a memory card for a few years? (Speaking of which, I've seem to have misplaced a large majority of my memory cards- the photos have been taken out though.)

Well ever develop 31 rolls of film 70 years later?

It's a nice little documentary. Here's the original site.

http://www.rescuedfilm.com/

Here's the original site I found the link from.

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/newly-discovered-pictures-show-the-everyday-life-of-a-w-1680370483/+jesusdiaz

WWII is one of my favorite periods of history, and I just love learning more about it.
Post edited by NSXTypeR on
Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The flash RAM in modern memory cards needs to be plugged into a power source every so often or it will decay. The industry standard is 101 weeks at 25° C. I've developed 10 and 20 year old rolls of film before with a little loss of the color, but otherwise fine. 70 years is quite impressive.
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    The flash RAM in modern memory cards needs to be plugged into a power source every so often or it will decay. The industry standard is 101 weeks at 25° C.
    I did not know that. I remember reading on article where the author suggested using CF cards for archival storage. It did not seem like a good idea, and based on your post, a real bad idea.

Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
    What a great find. But can you imagine the pressure on the lab techs in developing these truly irreplaceable films? Yikes!
  • funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    The guy doing it in his kitchen did not appear very pressured, luckily. I mean, those films were forgotten quite some time, so nobody would have noticed if he destroyed them by accident.

Wasn't it after the invasion in Normandy, shot by Robert Capa and wasted by a lab guy who put the drying fan too hot, so the negatives were gone? I once read a story like this and I have some idea about where the stomach of this guy went in that moment…
    When Robert Capa’s photographs of D-Day finally reached the Life magazine offices in London, it was nearly deadline. The invasion of Europe on June 6 1944 was the story. The pictures needed to be developed fast, passed by censors, then flown to New York. Life’s picture editor, John Morris, told the darkroom: “Rush, rush, rush!” The negatives came out “fabulous”. “Rush me prints!” said Morris. But minutes later, young Dennis Banks, who was developing the prints, ran sobbing into Morris’s office: “Capa’s films are all ruined!” Banks had tried to hurry things along by closing the doors of the wooden locker where the films were drying. Without ventilation, the emulsion had melted.

-Financial Times Magazine 2013
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/3d37a03e-c8be-11e2-acc6-00144feab7de.html#slide0
    I wonder what ever happened to Dennis Banks when the editor and later Capa got through with him.

From a career standpoint, that's a pretty big oops.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited January 2015
    I wonder if he ever got back to the person who gave him the film. It'd be nice to know if the veteran was still alive and if he ever got to see these developed. Sadly, we're at the point where very few veterans from WWII will be around for much longer.

Ironheart- I've never heard of SD cards rotting if they don't get used. Good to know I guess.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    This is a great story. Thanks so much for sharing.
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    edited January 2015
    Post edited by Paperman on
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    Wish I found some undeveloped films from Dad, Granddad ...
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Mmmm.....maybe some of the stuff I shot in the 1960's needs a new look....
    Msmoto, mod
    edited January 2015
    Makes me want to get some old negative scanned and revisited.

I have a ton from when my father-in-law was in Vietnam. Any suggestions for a reputable place whether online or in the Washington, DC metro area?
    Post edited by Hammie on
    Any reputable photography shop that develops their own film in house will be able to run your negs and stick 'em on a CD or thumb drive. I wouldn't mail them.
    One local place that I know of charges $2 per slide and $25 per 36 negatives.

Are those decent rates?