Mix camera bodies for videos

manbagmanbag Posts: 6Member
edited January 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
So I plan to shoot a static setting with 2 cameras:
- cam 1 for scene overview
- cam 2 for talent close-up
I'm wondering what I have to do to make the look of both cameras appear the same, so when I switch back and forth between the cameras the viewer is not distracted / or doesn't notice.
Do I have to use 2 identical cameras or can I mix a D3300 with a D5300 or even another brand and fix it all in post?
As far as I know these smaller Nikons don't have a flat color profile so I guess it will be more work in post.
Does anyone have experience shooting the same scene from multiple angles with different cameras?

Comments

• autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    I've shot video with my D4 and the D800 B-roll. Looked fine in post cutting between the two cameras.
    edited January 2015
    Shot with D800, D4, and GoPro. I don't know if this will help you but it was shot with different cameras and lenses.

Post edited by autofocus on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Nice video, autofocus..... been there, done that......

I suspect when shooting with two or more cameras, in editing the issue can be one of continuity errors, a common problem for a lot of "Hollywood" movies in the early years......

In your video, the scene changed so not an issue.
    Msmoto, mod
    Very true Msmoto. It was my first attempt to shoot and edit video so the learning curve was high. Being a one man show with two cameras running is a chore. Sound is a whole other issue but I know that's not what this thread is about.