D5300 controlling wirelessly

mjcharronmjcharron Posts: 5Member
edited January 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I just purchased a Nikon D5300 and I was wondering if there are any mobile or PC apps that allow the control of my camera via a wireless connection.. I should mention that I am a cheap person and would prefer it to be free as I just spent $1,100 on camera + accessories. I don't think I can talk my wife into more for my hobby.
Post edited by mjcharron on

Comments

• calengorcalengor Posts: 277Member
    Nikon has an app you can use. Or if you just want a remote shutter release, the ML-3 remote is like $10 or less depending on where you get it.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    There are some open source projects if you search the forum you will find them.
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    Much untapped potential here. I'd love to see Nikon inject some real features into their app à la camranger now that they're slowly getting on board with WiFi.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I just purchased a Nikon D5300 and I was wondering if there are any mobile or PC apps that allow the control of my camera via a wireless connection.. I should mention that I am a cheap person and would prefer it to be free as I just spent $1,100 on camera + accessories. I don't think I can talk my wife into more for my hobby.
    The Nikon app is FREE. However, you need the dongle to plug into your D5300. I only paid $3.12 for mine by applying my B&H member reward points. It retails for $46.95 and here is the link for more info. Check it out, it's not as good as a built in WiFi but its fine for transferring images to your phone or tablet or operating the DSLR with your phone or tablet. I use one for my D7100.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/856201-REG/Nikon_27081_WU_1a_Wireless_Mobile_Adapter.html

Note, the image is large and the actual unit is extremely small and comes with a small case to hook to your neck strap. Nikon makes two models, the one I provided may not be the one for the D5300, but you can find it easily on the B&H web site.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    edited January 2015
    The Nikon app is FREE. However, you need the dongle to plug into your D5300.
    Shouldn't need the dongle for the D5300: http://tinyurl.com/q2yn22e

Post edited by KnockKnock on
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Much untapped potential here. I'd love to see Nikon inject some real features into their app à la camranger now that they're slowly getting on board with WiFi.
    Most are simple wireless shutter releases. I'm currently trying to understand the donationware Digicamcontrol-dot-com as it is more useful, but only on PC not android or apple.
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    The Nikon app is FREE. However, you need the dongle to plug into your D5300.
    Shouldn't need the dongle for the D5300: http://tinyurl.com/q2yn22e
    Darn, I was half a sleep KnockKock...your are correct.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • mjcharronmjcharron Posts: 5Member
    I have a wireless shutter release remote and I have also tried DigiCamControl, however it is USB tethering and not WiFi based. I want to be able to edit camera settings (shutter, f-stop, etc....). I know that the Wireless Mobile Utility that Nikon provides is free but that app only allows to activate the shutter release and the transfer of pictures.
    Not yet, but I will certainly try it and update when I am done..
    I did download the beta version of DigiCamControl and after a few issues of not being able to directly connect to my camera from my laptop, it finally worked. Once I was able to get my laptop to connect directly to my camera's wifi DigiCamControl immediately picked up on the connection and loaded the settings into the software.
    Nice. Is it fully functional?
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Nice. Is it fully functional?
    Seems like it on first pass, but I found it to be such a frig that I'm waiting for something better (or to have more time to get into it).
    Always learning.
    I haven't had a chance to check out all of the functions, I will test some of them today.