One (1) lens, you are then banned for life from the purchase of any others!!

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Yes, sensor dust seems like a big deal at first, but it really is not. Even sensor cleaning (dry) isn't that big a deal.

As for if I had to keep only one lens, that would be tough. I'd struggle to choose between a 24mm, 50mm and a 105mm. I use all those focal lengths so often, but I guess I could get by with just the Sigma 50mm F1.4 Art if I had to and crop to frame.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    One lens, then banned for life?

I think I'd go with the Sigma 35 mm 1.4 Art. And the Nikon 105 2.8 macro. I suppose I've got to have two lenses before the lifetime ban!
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I have changed lenses at the beach on a windy day, in a jungle during a rainstorm, and while petting my dog. Never had a problem. I do exercise reasonable care, and in the beach situation i threw a towel over my head and camera while changing. I always point the camera down, and take the lens cap off first to minimize "open time". Other than that, I would be more worried about a superzoom sucking air while attached, than while changing lenses. And if I ever did need a cleaning, my camera shop does it for $35, and I have eclipse swabs for when I'm on the road or in the field
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    @proudgeek: 90% of dust is skin
    Really? The Roomba picks up all sorts of dirt everywhere throughout my home...I guess it's possible there are some wild naked parties going on that I do not know about ;)
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    One lens.....prime....on full frame.....Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ART

Zoom, probably 24-70mm f/2.8 Nikkor

One body....D4s
    Msmoto, mod
  • limeblulimeblu Posts: 34Member
    Well the benefit of this thread is getting to view which FX lenses are best also. I have had the camera for over a year and swapped lenses everywhere also, I just noticed the dust in a bright blue sky shot tried to blow it off but no luck. Probably been there fir months lol just finally caught it
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    it really is personal tastes .. for me 1 prime = 150 F2.8 sigma. 1 zoom = 70-200 F4.
    I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. Find your fav FOV then get the lense that covers it.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited January 2015
    For me, if I had to use one lens it would be the 24-70 f2.8 zoom lens. Two lens, add the 70-200 F2.8. The wide angle zoom covers 80%+ of my images. After that, it's a close call. Probably a prime; which one is the question.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited January 2015
    Quite the question, but its easy for me. Just like proudgeek, the 24-70mm 2.8 would be my choice without delay. Of course the problem with this scenario is what happens when your lens of choice is updated into a newer (and often 95% of the time) better version? A 24-70mm F4 VR or 2.8 with VR would make you feel awfully foolish I think. Hands down this would be the lens for me then if I had to choose regardless though :)
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    edited January 2015
    Most definitively a 35mm. I had a second hand Nikon E 35mm f/2.5 as the only lens attached to my military surplus F3 for the better part of 20 years and managed to live by. That's why I desperately want Nikon to give us DX shooters a cheap 22-24mm f/1.8 DX prime (equivalent to close to a 35mm in FX) lens ASAP.
    Post edited by CaMeRaQuEsT on
    edited January 2015
    Wow, that 24-70 seems to rock the FX world, it is a very loved lens. I will definitely be keeping my DX gear but wow am I ever excited about the move. It will be like looking at the world with new eyes and training my brain to interpret it in a whole new dimension. I do like the idea of looking at what focal length you shoot at most and use that info to help determine a new purchase, that is how I chose the 50 1.8, still thinking of grabbing the 35mm but just not sure about investing any more into DX. The only problem with using prior info to aid in new purchases is you are limited to information from focal lengths you already own and have no input or info about focal lengths not included in your arsenal. I would so love to live back in the city so I had access to equipment whenever I wanted to rent something. Anyways, I love the trial and error, the people I meet and the problem solving involved in photog. Wow if you had said to me 3 years ago that photography rocks I would have laughed and said looks damn boring, look through the hole, press the button, wow you made a picture! Oh how incredibly misinformed my grey matter was. Now seriously all I want is a clean sensor and a FF setup!
    Post edited by limeblu on
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    edited January 2015
    Although a 35mm or 50mm prime would be a nice single lens choice, I think the versatility of my Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 would be my choice. Even though it is "only" 2.8, I would still get my 35 and 50mm focal lengths.

One feature that I would like on the 24-70 (or any zoom for that matter) would be a lock so you could keep it as a specific focal length.
    Post edited by Hammie on
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Another vote for the 24-70 2.8.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited January 2015
    The easiest way to find you fav FOVs is to use a super zoom for a while. Mine was the 18-200 Dx.

You will find your primary where 60%-80% of your shots are taken. Then a secondary where you will take about 2/3 of the rest and then a bunch of tertiary FOV.

If you are lucky your primary and secondary will be covered by 1 lense. Some of our birder members have their primary at 500mm, poor guys !! Secondary at 14mm for scenery !! and have to have the 24-70 cos everyone has one...
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Well it might not be the same for FX, but on dx if I was stuck with one it would be my 105 f2.8. Can still take some animal pics, landscape, macro and great portraits. Sharp wide open, f2.8, vr.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
    @heartyfisher - That is exactly what I did when I started looking for new lenses. I started off primarily with a D50 and Quantaray 18-200. My sweet spot was the 24-70. Therefore, I bought the Nikkor 2.8 version.

When my kids were in sports, I used 135-200 often, so I invested in the 70-200 2.8.

I have Smart Collections to monitor various focal lengths. My 24-55 range is my most popular with about 40% of my library.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    @hammie I like your idea. My issue with the 24-70 is that I think I'm at 50mm but I'm really at 48mm. It's not a Big issue but Just an idea. When I have a Nikon speedlight it gets the focal length info and if I want 50 it is at 50.
    @Vipmediastar_JZ - This is why I wish lenses had a lock. When you want to shoot at a specific focal length with a zoom, it will stay there.
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    The easiest way to find you fav FOVs is to use a super zoom for a while. Mine was the 18-200 Dx.

You will find your primary where 60%-80% of your shots are taken. Then a secondary where you will take about 2/3 of the rest and then a bunch of tertiary FOV.

If you are lucky your primary and secondary will be covered by 1 lense. Some of our birder members have their primary at 500mm, poor guys !! Secondary at 14mm for scenery !! and have to have the 24-70 cos everyone has one...
    I'm doing just that now with the 18-200. Based on what I've shot so far, if it were one lens it'd be the 18-140, because I do a lot at the extreme ends of the zoom, heavily weighted at 18mm. If you'd give me two lenses, it'd be a nice wide angle prime in the Dx 18mm range, and a mid-to-long zoom, Dx 50-200mm or somesuch. If the tele were to be a prime, it'd probably be in the Dx 140mm range.

I don't think of focal length in the same degree of precision as I do the exposure components; I want a focal length that gives a perspective that suits the composition. So, my focal length "buckets" are 1) wide angle for most shots, 2) short tele for portraits, and 3) long tele for, well, any other compression of perspective. I stay away from 'normal', probably for many dark reasons...

Thinking about it, let me shift the thinking: if you're a 'one-subject' sort of person, one lens may suffice. If not, then you're into zoom territory, with the attendant reduction in IQ. So, "which two lenses" might be a more popular question... :D

edited January 2015
    @ggbutcher - Or what body and lens pairing is best? long zoom and fast fps for sports... high mp for wide angle for landscape... high ISO and normal focal length for street... long zoom and fast fps and high mp for fast wildlife, i.e., birds, dogs, etc...

You get my point. In short, unless like you say you are a one shot person, there really may not be a single lens that can meet a photographers needs.
    Post edited by Hammie on
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    edited January 2015
    @Hammie - If zooms are out of the question: Yep, in Utopia, I'd be a two-lens person, what I shoot compels me there. However, in the repressive state @limeblu posits, I'd have a Dx 18mm, and I'd be somewhat sad... :(
    Post edited by ggbutcher on
  • funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    I just browsed briefly through all answers, maybe I missed that bit:

Why are you @limeblu buying a camera with interchangeable lenses if you're afraid of lens changes? It's somehow like buying a car to occupy a parking lot, not for driving.

At first, cool down - most lenses are not airtight, plus there's always a little bit of dust in the camera which finds it's way on a sensor. Get used to the idea to clean it or let it clean. Otherwise look around what those bridge- or superzoom cameras could offer you. If the lens is attached firmly to the sensor - no dust at all.
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    400mm f2.8 on my D810 (tce-20iii in my pocket).

I can get by with compact cams or smartphones for other stuff, but no substitute for big glass when chasing small birdies.

.... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

I know we all shoot differently, I am not going to leave the lens on forever, just wanted to find an FX lens that would equate to fewer changes and less exposure. I understand dust is unavoidable, I guess I need to send out to Nikon and get a good cleaning every 6 months or year. Like I said earlier, it has been great to see what others are using and obviously if stuck with one, it is definitely going to be their fav. Now that I have been using a DSLR for so long, I really do not think I could go back to bridge or superzoom, dust or no dust.