What will the last model of the D7xxx line be? Please read first post before posting.

WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
edited January 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
D610s and D750s are getting pretty cheap, especially grey market models. It seems like it will only be a few years until they can be had for less than a D7100, or by then, a D7200.

When that occurs, there will certainly be a market for the features on DX that the D7xxx line provides. However, there is also a market for a D400 or D9000 that Nikon does not seem to be filling. It stands to reason then that the D7xxx line days are numbered. The D7200 when it comes out may be the last or next to last model.

So what will the last model in the D7xxx line be?

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited January 2015
    D7910
    Ha I was thinking of the D5xxx line :-)
    D7400, two more Revs.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I'm willing to assume that Nikon will continue to push higher end DSLR's (over $1000 USD) until they stop selling in large numbers. When that happens they will likely have some kind of mirrorless or hybrid model to take it's place.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    You have to compare the price of gray market D7XXX bodies to the price of gray market D6xx and D7xx bodies. Actually, though I think you need to compare the price of the officially imported bodies in whichever country you are located to see if "low end" FX is really going to displace "high end" DX. I don't think it will. As FX price drops so will DX price.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Oh sure Donaldjose. But that just forestalls the inevitable. Someday an FX sensor will be a hundred dollars and a small portion of the total camera cost. I doubt the DX sensor is more than 10% of the cost of a D7100, as it is the same or very similar sensor in the much cheaper D3300.

When that day comes, the D7xxx will be more than a D6xx as it has superior build, features etc. While there is a market for that, it seems very small. At least Nikon thinks it is, thus the lack of a D400.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    On one hand, I would expect that the D7300 would be the last model. BUT, Donaldejose is right, there is always goign to be a price difference between DX and FX DSLR's. I believe both will drop over time. When the sales volume decreases to the point they can't maintain the target selling price, it will be phased out. That could result in 3 more revs of this popular selling DSLR. That would make the D7400 the last model.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Whatever price the FX cams come down to it will always be cheaper to make DX and they wouldn't be upgrading DX lenses if they were dropping DX. DX will be around for a while yet whether mirror or mirrorless,
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Actually, IMO, trying to guess what Nikon will do is ..... interesting at best.

If pushed to the wall, I might guess the D5XXX line will become the premier crop sensor body DSLR with the D7XXX going the way of the D3XX. At some future date, the crop sensor mirrorless will be introduced and shortly thereafter we will have a full frame professional mirrorless.

My last guess will be that the DSLR in the lower priced amateur line up will eventually disappear, the pro bodies hanging around a while longer, but eventually also being phased out....maybe within 10 years.

A D7XXX....one or two iterations more?

All guesses...
    Msmoto, mod
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Yes, crystal ball gazing at its best. But people's thought processes etc. is what is interesting.
    I am thinking that if a D400 does not come out this year there won't be one. When Nikon produces a 50 mp FX D8XX with Expeed 5 it will have a DX mode which will be sufficient to serve as the "missing" D300s replacement. Nikon just has to have a large enough buffer and enough processing power to crunch the DX sized files at about 7 fps. Then all those waiting for a "pro-body" DX camera will have it plus they will have a high megapixel FX body. But one thing will be missing: a price below $2,000. Perhaps some future iteration of of D7XXX series will finally incorporate enough processing power and large buffer for 7 fps. If so, people will have about everything they need for a "pro" DX except for the pro control build found in the DX and D8XX series bodies. Perhaps, the D8XX line will "come down" to include "pro-DX buffer and fps specs" and perhaps the D7XXX line will 'come up" to include "pro-DX buffer and fps specs" such that there won't be a real gap in the lineup anymore. If the D7200 comes out in a month it will be interesting to see what it has for buffer and fps. Will it "move up" from the D7100, or not?
    @donaldejose - +1...Will it "move up" from the D7100, or not? It's a great question on what the D7200 will have for a buffer size. I am figuring no significant change but who knows. If it goes up 1/2 fps or 1 fps that is NOT significant for me.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited January 2015
    It would be interesting to see, the D7xxx line already moved up a step from what they replaced (D70/D80/D90) so there is no reason to not believe that Nikon could push the line up a little more, spec wise, in the future.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @donaldejose: I disagree that a D8** would replace a pro crop body for two reasons: Cost and the fact that if your body goes wrong you lose 'both' bodies effectively.
    Always learning.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    I am thinking that if a D400 does not come out this year there won't be one. When Nikon produces a 50 mp FX D8XX with Expeed 5 it will have a DX mode which will be sufficient to serve as the "missing" D300s replacement. Nikon just has to have a large enough buffer and enough processing power to crunch the DX sized files at about 7 fps. Then all those waiting for a "pro-body" DX camera will have it plus they will have a high megapixel FX body. But one thing will be missing: a price below $2,000. Perhaps some future iteration of of D7XXX series will finally incorporate enough processing power and large buffer for 7 fps. If so, people will have about everything they need for a "pro" DX except for the pro control build found in the DX and D8XX series bodies. Perhaps, the D8XX line will "come down" to include "pro-DX buffer and fps specs" and perhaps the D7XXX line will 'come up" to include "pro-DX buffer and fps specs" such that there won't be a real gap in the lineup anymore. If the D7200 comes out in a month it will be interesting to see what it has for buffer and fps. Will it "move up" from the D7100, or not?
    The short answer is yes, it has to especially if Nikon is keeping the sensor at 24 mp. What else is there left to do? Yes, you can add wifi and a flippy screen, and yes you can tweak the AF module to add group focus and the metering to add highlight priority, but none of these things justify abandoning the 7100 (which is well below $1K now)...unless they tweak the speed AND the buffer. Personally I would also like to see a quiet continuous mode with a more refined shutter.

In regards to the 8XX replacing the pro-DX, I disagree for one reason, in that the DX really is for reach. I probably shoot the 7100 in crop mode half of the time, so at ~m4/3's size, and if there was a further crop mode I probably would use it as well (Nikon if you are reading this, give us an even smaller crop with higher fps on the 7200). The 8XX is really for an FX shooter who occasionally uses DX. The higher DX cameras are really for those that would prefer to have a car rather than a large telephoto lens...jk of course ;)
    spraynpray: yes, price would not be addressed by incorporating the D400 into the D810x (50+ mp sensor) and yes if you had two cameras in one and it went down you would have lost both. But the answer to the second issue is to have two D8xx bodies. I think a person should always have two bodies whether they be two FX bodies or one FX and once DX or two DX bodies. Always have to have some sort of back-up you can use in an emergency and it is simpler if both have exactly the same control layout.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    With my D5100 in for repair I am using a borrowed camera. My hope is to have a D8XX as my main body and a DX with the same control layout (D9300 maybe) and the D5100 as a loaner. The D8XX for landscapes and portraits and the DX for wildlife and sports. Each could back up the other if the need arises.

A single body to do two jobs is good but two that both can do two jobs is better.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    My hope is to have a D8XX as my main body and a DX with the same control layout (D9300 maybe) and the D5100 as a loaner. The D8XX for landscapes and portraits and the DX for wildlife and sports. Each could back up the other if the need arises.
    I use this exact set up with an 810 and 7100. If you could only buy one camera though, I would go for the 810 as it is fast enough to shoot like the 7100. Having the "same controls" is a little hard if not exactly the same. For example, using the DOF preview button to switch crop modes the finger memory is different given the different locations (both cameras have a dof button, but the angle and placement is very different). Top dial controls (IMHO of course) can be significantly different with minimal impact as I rarely change it without taking my face away from the viewfinder (in which case hopefully my brain kicks in). On the other hand, once you Grip and look through the viewfinder, having things feel the same is really what I would prefer. All that said, the 7100 is closer to the 810 then the 5K or 3K series (and the 7100 is obviously even closer to the 750 and 610).
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I use this exact set up with an 810 and 7100. If you could only buy one camera though, I would go for the 810 as it is fast enough to shoot like the 7100. Having the "same controls" is a little hard if not exactly the same. For example, using the DOF preview button to switch crop modes the finger memory is different given the different locations (both cameras have a dof button, but the angle and placement is very different). Top dial controls (IMHO of course) can be significantly different with minimal impact as I rarely change it without taking my face away from the viewfinder (in which case hopefully my brain kicks in). On the other hand, once you Grip and look through the viewfinder, having things feel the same is really what I would prefer. All that said, the 7100 is closer to the 810 then the 5K or 3K series (and the 7100 is obviously even closer to the 750 and 610).

I learned my camera can be fixed and insurance covers it. I am back on track building my kit.

I agree about the D810 and D7100. As I understand the rumors the D9300 should be closer to the D810 than the D7200. Time will tell as I can't move to fast, it is the money thing. Have to wait for it. I have considered doing the FX first and them coming back to DX.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    edited January 2015
    Hm, is this the D400 thread coming to life once again? :)

I know that I don't know how Nikon thinks, but if I try to guess I think that there will be a new mirrorless FX system (Nikon 2 maybe). I think it will replace the chepest DSLRs first. If Nikon makes a new line of pro DX DSLR cameras (D400/D9300) the D7XXX line will be replaced by a mirrorless crop body pretty soon. If Nikon doesn't make a new pro DX line they will up the specs of the D7XXX line and then it will live longer, together with the D8XX and DX (D4s) lines.

By the way, I think Nikon should make a pro DX camera because it is the only current way to get really high pixel density AND lots of FPS in a pro body, and it is a great complement to the pro FX cameras, as others have pointed out.
    Post edited by snakebunk on
    @manhattanboy said: Having the "same controls" is a little hard if not exactly the same. For example, using the DOF preview button to switch crop modes the finger memory is different given the different locations (both cameras have a dof button, but the angle and placement is very different).

+1 on that item. 100% agree with you. There are minor difference with the DOF button and AF/M lever between the D7100 and D750....these "minor" changes can slow you down. It just takes time to retrain the brain. =D>