Nikon D610 camera flashing FOR ?

TaraTara Posts: 36Member
edited January 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Hi after having trouble with my camera not shooting and flashing r13 at me I decided to reformat my SD card in my mac computer.

In disk utility I selected erase, MS-DOS (FAT), erase. I then put the SD card into my camera and also did a format on the camera.

It flashed formatting at me and when finished I still can't take photos and it's still flashing FOR at me. I've obviously done something wrong in the whole process. Thanks.

Thanks.

Comments

• HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    You need to format the card in the camera.

NEVER format the card in a computer first.

Put the card in the camera and format the card via the menu, or the two button option.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Put the card in the camera and format the card via the menu, or the two button option.
    +1 on what @Hammie said.
    If you still have issues with that card, put it in another camera, reformat in that camera and see if it works. Then put that memory card back into your camera, reformat the card and try again. If it still doesn't work, you know it's not the memory card. Reset the camera and see if that works.

D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • TaraTara Posts: 36Member

The reason I started formatting in the computer was because my SD cards were showing less and less space even when there were no pictures showing and and I had reformatted in the camera. I then formatted one in the mac and then formatted it in the camera and 'boom' it said I had 1K room for photos. (or something). Everything was fine. So I been doing that for awhile and then did the same thing yesterday and wouldn't work.

+1 on what @Hammie said.
    If you still have issues with that card, put it in another camera, reformat in that camera and see if it works. Then put that memory card back into your camera, reformat the card and try again. If it still doesn't work, you know it's not the memory card. Reset the camera and see if that works.

Yes this worked. My D90 reformatted it fine! Is that not strange? Why would the D610 not format it?

Why NEVER format in the computer? My camera just didn't seem to erase everything.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    The card reader and camera meets specs but it has been proven there is more reliability with memory cards that are formatted in camera than with a card reader. Go to the upper 4 inches on the right side and run a search on formatting memory cards here on NRF. You will find a lot of details and comments.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
This discussion has been closed.