Upgrades and Choices

ntime60ntime60 Posts: 7Member
edited February 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Hi all,

I've been around for a long time as an amateur and for the last 15 years or so as a semi-pro. I'm a Systems Admin for a regional health care organization by trade, so I tend to be very technically inclined. Read a computer geek with a whole lot of software knowledge.

My first Nikon camera was a circa '68 F body my grandfather bought for my birthday.

Since that time, I have purchased an FE, an F5, I added an n90s around 1996, stayed with the n90s until 2006 when the D200 was released, my first real dip into the Digital era. Meanwhile I kept all my film cameras and still today occasionally will use them to shoot certain shots. Around 2009, I found a practically brand new D300 for a very attractive price and purchased that. I love the D300, it has been my goto camera for just about everything. When I need that special light, I break out the film.

I tend to snap a lot of birds of both the feathered type and the metal kind. I love landscapes and I tend to randomly go out on a drive, point the car in a direction and snap anything that calls to me. This is also how I tend to find birds of prey. I still shoot, weddings, birthdays and reunions/gatherings to finance my next case of NAS.

Over the years since buying the D200, all of my lens choices (there have been many) have been FF lenses as I've always told myself I would eventually return to FF, but that is also why I still shoot film. The digital darkroom has finally progressed to a point where I can sufficiently live without film.

Now, I sit here thinking of all the options that are available and I've been leaning hard toward a D750. But the rub is, I hunt birds with long glass and the crop factor of a DX body is very compelling. I've seen some excellent shots come out of the D7100, but, I would like to see a D7200, if it is close to release. Honestly, I'd really like to see a good replacement for the D300...D400. I have read that is the desire of many others as well. But the D750 talks to me because of low noise, 5FPS with 14bit raw, Expeed 4... I have not forgotten the D810 and with the idea behind the astrophotography aspect, deserves a serious look, because I also dabble in that realm with the F5 still. The D810 is attractive for the DX mode and 36MP, but is that really worth another $1000?

If there is a D7200 on track in the next couple of months I might, wait and save my $$$ for that and an updated 24-120 with VR or a 17-55 2.8.

So, now that you know a bit of my story, what would you buy or wait for in my shoes? I think we have too many options in camera bodies.
Cameras D300, D200, n90s, F5, FE, Nikon 1. Glass - 150-600 Tamron vc, Nikon 70-300 VR 4.5-5.6, Nikon 70-200 VR 2.8, Nikon 14-24 2.8, nikkor 50mm 1.4, Nikon 105 VR 2.8 micro, Nikkor 85 1.4G, Nikkor 35 1.4, 24-120 3.5.4.5

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    We should see the announcement of the D7200 shortly. If you can stand to wait, it may have that must have feature. Also, the price of the D7100 will likely have a bit of a drop after that release, and the D7100 is a great camera as well. If you don't need FX, don't get it. If you do, get the best you can afford.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    We should see the announcement of the D7200 shortly. If you can stand to wait, it may have that must have feature. Also, the price of the D7100 will likely have a bit of a drop after that release, and the D7100 is a great camera as well. If you don't need FX, don't get it. If you do, get the best you can afford.
    Just follow this ^^^ advice. Canon is going to make a big splash in the FF realm with their 50mp sensors so that should also help bring down Nikon FX costs as well. Just wait till next week and see how things settle.
    The 6th looks like a big announcement day from Canon, not sure what day Nikon is announcing stuff though.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited February 2015

The D810 is attractive for the DX mode and 36MP, but is that really worth another $1000? ......
    Like you, I had a Nikon Fs ( 4 of them) in the late 60s
    The answer to question is that really worth it ? is a resounding yes
    I don't have a D810 but I have had a D800 from the first day they were available in the uk
    It is quite simply, the best camera i have ever owned. The D810 is meant to be even better. I have absolutely no hankering to go back to film
    (Dont bother switching to Dx mode, shoot full frame and crop)

Should wait for the Xxxx ?
    If you are the sort of person who enjoys a long wait. Yes. there will always be a better camera coming out next month. I am waiting for the D900

I love landscapes ....I still shoot, weddings, birthdays ...
    Full frame is King for all of the above

....The digital darkroom has finally progresse....
    It is also a hell of a lot faster

Dx has only one true advantage over full frame its is cheaper. If you already have full frame glass and have a bit of spare cash going Fx is a no brainer
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I think getting the camera and shooting it is your best bet. If you want something fast with good reach, get DX.

If you have a big budget and can afford it, go FX.

I you think you might get buyer's remorse, wait another 3 months or so and then get a camera.

Back when I got my D7000, it already wasn't new, but that didn't matter because I enjoyed shooting with it and got shots I never would have gotten if I didn't have it.

I would say get the D7100 and the new 300mm F4.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator

I love landscapes ....I still shoot, weddings, birthdays ...
    Full frame is King for all of the above
    I did all of the above for years using Olympus OM1 & 2, Nikon D5000, D90, D7000 and D7100's before my D750 and guess what - DX does it just fine. Only rarely does FX make it easier - not possible, just easier.
    Always learning.
    edited February 2015
    - DX does it just fine. .
    Nothing wrong with DX

But

If you are doing a wedding in poor light, you will better off with FX
    If you want to print that amazing landscape, poster size. A D810 36 mp FX file will give you slightly better color depth and dynamic range

You can alway crop a Fx image to Dx
    but you can never make an Dx image Fx

If you are on a tight budget keep to DX

If you want, and can afford, one of the best camera in the world, don't keep the money under the mattress

• ntime60ntime60 Posts: 7Member
    Thanks for all the info.

As we all know this thing we do is anything but cheap. If you've looked at my signature, then you know I pretty well stay with Nikkor lenses. Budget is what we make of it.

My income is not dependent on the camera, so budget for me is a matter of time. Right now, at this moment in time, the budget can afford a D810 and not much else besides a few accessories. The problem I have with that is I would have to wait until later in the year to update my 24-120 to the new VR version.

If I get the D750 then I can get the new 24-120 VR, which would most likely become one of my walk around lenses on FF.

Now we're talking D7200, the only thing I'm not sure about in the 7x00 series is relearning the controls. They are more consumer friendly. Now before you flame me, several of my friends have either the 7000 or the 7100 and they turn out some pretty sweet pictures. What I am talking about is ME and having to learn the camera again...On my D300 I shoot manual, a lot. When I'm not in manual, I stay mostly in AP, unless it's fast, like aircraft, then SP. I barely think about the controls. My wife and I have joked about me buying a fully automatic camera and yet, I still shoot in manual.
    I would say get the D7100 and the new 300mm F4.
    D7100 pics are most likely good enough for what I do. Most of my clients don't want anything beyond 8x10 or 11x17. I on the other hand like to print bigger occasionally.

This is my start to seeing what is on the market and what is everyone shooting with and what are you shooting. It makes my wife nuts. She'll get to a point, look at me, and say, "Just buy something already." Yes I study the minutia, ad nauseum.

I don't know about you all, but when I drop 2-3k on a camera I'd really like to be absolutely positive I will like it.
    Cameras D300, D200, n90s, F5, FE, Nikon 1. Glass - 150-600 Tamron vc, Nikon 70-300 VR 4.5-5.6, Nikon 70-200 VR 2.8, Nikon 14-24 2.8, nikkor 50mm 1.4, Nikon 105 VR 2.8 micro, Nikkor 85 1.4G, Nikkor 35 1.4, 24-120 3.5.4.5
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Thanks for all the info.
    This is my start to seeing what is on the market and what is everyone shooting with and what are you shooting. It makes my wife nuts. She'll get to a point, look at me, and say, "Just buy something already." Yes I study the minutia, ad nauseum.
    I don't know about you all, but when I drop 2-3k on a camera I'd really like to be absolutely positive I will like it.
    @ntime60 - thanks for bringing the smile to my face by moving your introduction from that forum so we could all participate in this discussion.

I have the same issue when buying lens and DSLR bodies...I do extensive research then pull the trigger. I have heard that same comment from my wife, "Just buy it".

After rereading your original post and your latest post I strongly suggest you go rent a D7100 body for a weekend. Really use it. Then ASAP rent a D750 or D810 for a weekend. You will fall in love with one of them or, bad news, both. :D

You got some great input on DX and FX so I am not going to restate them. If you don't want to rent then you really need to spend the appropriate amount of time in a camera store to see how you like it. If you don't rent them DSLR's be sure to take a memory card to the dealer so you capture your shots with the D7100 and D750.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited February 2015
    hi @ntime60 welcome to the forum !

Moving from the handling of the F5/D200/D300 to the D7100/D7200/D750 may be an issue but only you will know if its a big issue. For me it was a huge pain. but it needed to be done so I just sucked it up and went for it. It took me a couple or 3 years to not miss my D200 controls .. Now I have totally forgotten how it was and am very happy with the D610 much more so than the D7000. If I were you I would find some way to get my hands on the D800/D810 and see if you like it more than the D750/D610/D7100 . I roam around with a bunch of local photographers and get to handle some of their "toys". otherwise renting is good.

But purely logically.. You seem to be the perfect candidate for a D400 but it seems that will never come. I would say wait for the D7200.. its 2 years since the D7100 so it is due. You seem to like your tele and DX will keep your Tele lenses Tele ;-) note that the new 2x crop on the D7100 (and probably the D7200) will be right up your alley !

Of your lenses the 24-120 really needs updating as you already know :-) getting a new FX camera I think will really make you "not like it" more :-)

Can I suggest something radical? get the D7100(or D7200) + 18-140 as a kit.. (D7100 is really cheap now) also get the D750 for your wedding business. Forget about the old 24-120, the 18-140 will be better.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    The D810 is super quite. You may want to consider that for your wedding business.

I see that you are happy with a D200. If you buy a D810, then you will be happy for 10 years. How long will you be happy with anything lessor.
    edited February 2015

.........the budget can afford a D810 and not much else besides a few accessories. The problem I have with that is I would have to wait until later in the year to update my 24-120 to the new VR version.
    .........If I get the D750 then I can get the new 24-120 VR, which would most likely become one of my walk around lenses on FF.............

...........Now we're talking D7200,
    The big problem with the D7200 is that it does not exist; so I am going to ignore that option
    You will extremely disappointed with a D810 if you put the old 24 -120 lens on it
    So that only leaves the the D750 and the new 24-120 VR,

The only other option is borrow $1,000 and do a few more weddings
    No. I would not want to do that either :)

I don't know about you all, but when I drop 2-3k on a camera I'd really like to be absolutely positive I will like it. -

You will like the D810 but only if you combine with some good glass
    the old 70 -120 cannot be described a good
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    There are several images in this Flickr album taken with the 24-120mm f/4 VR and D800E. You will have to check the Exif to find which are that combination. Of note, most are stopped down so as to have an exposure time long enough to do light painting.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fantinesfotos/sets/72157648071166424/
    Msmoto, mod
  • squoopsquoop Posts: 37Member
    For the most versatilty, including having FF with crop-friendly high resolution, but at a much lower price than the D810, consider getting a used or refurbed D800. It also has a MUCH larger buffer than either D750 or D7100, and also than D7200 if the rumored specs are true.
  • ntime60ntime60 Posts: 7Member
    First off, yeah, I know my old 24-120 isn't good on new cameras. I rarely use it even on the D300. One surprising lens I use on the D300 is the 18-70 dx. What a great little kit lens.

I was over at a friends house the other day, he has a D7100. He let me play around with it. The images it produces are great, but I'd definitely have to learn the camera all over again. There were several bird shots I didn't get right because I was fighting with the controls. I know all in time.

I'm going to the LCS today with the Tamron 150-600 and the Nikkor 105 f2.8 vr. I'm planning on setting up the same shots with the D810, D750, and the D300.

I'm really interested to see how the D750's DX mode compares to the D300. Camera shopping, isn't it fun? All these choices, mixing and matching different attributes to get the best of what we do out of us.

You can entertain yourselves with this little one from last year.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Thats a nice "little one" !

The old 18-70 is very underrated. There are a number of photo journalist who use it by choice on DX systems. I liked it a lot ( its still in my sig :-) ) .. however I think the 18-140 has finally succeeded it.

Regarding the 750 in dx mode.. I do not have a D750 but I do have the D610 which I use in dx mode from time to time. In DX mode the 24mp FX comes in at almost 11mp in dx mode. However, the AA filter on my D610 (and I assume the D750) is very weak so the images are much sharper than you would expect. I would say it would probably handily beat the old 12mp D300 as it is very close to my 16mp D7000.

One more advantage of my D610 in DX mode is the DR and Colour tones. It was this lovely image quality that was most attractive to me. One of the reasons I never got a D300 was bec I did not like the colour tones from the nikon cameras during that time period.(D300,D90,D3,D700). Note the Higher ISO capability of these new 24MP Fx sensors.

I did say It takes a bit of effort to get used to the non pro controls. :-) I am used to it now though ... the D610 has ironed out the niggly bits of the D7000 which I use to find so irritating.

Have fun figuring out the new toys !! :-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.