Help torn between 16-35mm, 18-35mm and 20mm f1.8g Or even a Nikon 24-70

2»

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited January 2015
    How about the Rokinon 14mm 2.8?
    A cheap but good lens. Apparently they are well corrected for coma so good for night sky shots. There is some variability as regards the positioning of the infinity end stop (or so I read), but as you should be focusing with live view zoomed in 100%, that doesn't matter a jot. A bargain lens for your bag.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited January 2015

How does the 16-35 perform in landscape wise? like the sweet spot for them lol.

It performs very well. The sweet spot is at sunrise

Bristol M shed Nikon 16-35mm f4 AF-S VR @31mm D800 1/180 f 9.5 ISO 100
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    My suggestion might be to walk around for a few hours, determine the angle of view you would like in shooting your landscapes, then make your decision. I have found the 16-35mm f/4 VR Nikkor is quite versatile, yet for a lot of shoots, I use the 24mm f/1.4 Nikkor.

While the opinions of each of us is from our own idea as to what is best, only you can determine how to view subjects. I am one who has no issue with rather extreme distortions, shooting a modified 10.5mm f/2.8 on full frame. Yet, some will be sick to their stomach when they view my stuff.

On the other hand, I can carry around a 35mm f/1.4 Sigma on full frame and it works for nearly everything, unless I am caught in a confined space and just need wider.

But, one must decide first the image to be obtained, then cough up the bucks for the glass.
    Msmoto, mod
  • ElephRhinoElephRhino Posts: 10Member
    From your criteria (except maybe price?) the Nikon 14-24, with one of the available filter systems, would be your best bet. It will give you the least amount of compromise while being useful for landscape and astrolandscape photography. Personally, I would go with 2 lenses: Nikon 20mm 1.8 (astro) AND 18-35 (landscape). No one lens will make you happy for both applications.
  • kennychickkennychick Posts: 21Member
    Many thanks guys, I have decided on a 16-35mm
    D750 | 50mm 1.8g | 85mm 1.8g | 105mm Macro | Nikkor 24-70 | 50mm Sigma art
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Yeah! I think you will be very happy. I use mine a lot. And the minor barrel distortion is easily corrected in post.

In fact I will be using this with the D800E for some product shots in an Airstream trailer....absolutely no room to move or set up the camera.
    Msmoto, mod