Am I out to lunch or on the right track...D3s vs. Newer Body

2jzgte2jzgte Posts: 3Member
edited February 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Hi all,

I really enjoy reading the forum, some of the discussions have taught me quite a bit. So, a big thank you is in order. I have a bit of a dilemma and I was wondering if someone could chime in. I've recently come to the conclusion that my D3S is getting a little long in the tooth and I am at odds as to what to do. One thing I have learned from this forum is that glass is the best investment and bodies come and go. Don't get me wrong, I love my D3S, it is the camera that got me to switch from Canon; I had a 7D and I absolutely hated it. After playing with the D3s at camera store as something as a far fetched curiosity I fell in love with the switches and the extent of the manual controls. So I switched to Nikon. I have been shooting the D3s for four years now with no issues, but I am afraid it will be soon worth nothing and I will have to start all over again out of pocket. I shoot less paid work now and the D3s and my 70-200 2.8 II are far too heavy and painful after a full day's shoot or outing. I was thinking about a Df, but the thought of a single card slot scares me from using it as my only option for some of the paid work I still do. My next thought was a D810 and I was hoping to trade straight up, and trade my 70-200 2.8 and a 24 2.8D for a 70-200 f4 and 20 1.8G. It seems that this is not possible. My gear is in like new condition but I'm not exactly sure how to price it. My local camera shop whom I have bought from for years believes the trade isn't too crazy but they are not accepting any used Nikon Gear because there counter is full for a smaller shop. i.e. 200-400, D3x, 70-200 Vr 1. The same shop in another city four hours away offered me 1200$ for 70-200 2.8 II, 150$ for the 24 2.8D and 1900$ for the D3s... is this even close to fair? I am shocked at the idea of trading everything just for the D810, but I'm scared that my D3s will soon be worth nothing and I will be stuck with it till the day it quits. Any thoughts?
Post edited by Msmoto on

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2015
    Only $1200 for the VRII? That's the going price for a used VRI. The D3s is usually going for over $3k on eBay or $2999 in shops. The 24mm F2.8D usual goes for around $299 used, so that's the only reasonable offer on the table. The rest, sounds like the shops are trying to pull a fast one.

Frankly unless you really need more megapixels you might as well keep using the D3s, it's a great camera and unless you go for a Df or D4s you won't find anything that matches it in low light.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    Camera shops will want to build a profit margin into what they offer so will offer less than they can sell it for.
    edited February 2015
    Camera shops will want to build a profit margin into what they offer so will offer less than they can sell it for.
    True, but usually the profit margin on a used camera isn't $1000. Usually margins are around $50-200 depending on the value of the item.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • HipShotHipShot Posts: 528Member
    FWIW:

Years ago I had a garage sale. At the end of the day a guy came up and offered me a lump sum for the remainders. I said yes, and asked what he does with the stuff. He said that he auctions the items. I replied, "You can get some good bargains at auctions, right?" He said, "No, auctions are for sellers. Competing bidders drive up the price."

Try selling your D3S yourself, on ebay. You can put a reserve on it in case you don't get the price you want for it.

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Dependent upon shutter count, the D3s should be good for years. As you approach 300,000 clicks, a new shutter can be installed and you have a new D3s.

If more resolution is desired, look at the used prices on B & H, Amazon, Ebay, and then decide on what you need for your equipment. With less than 150,000 on the shutter count, the D3s would be around $2500 USD, by what I see on Amazon.

Maybe the D5 will be a huge increase in performance who knows. Switching from a D3s to a D810....lots of loss in action capabilities IMO. For example, I have a D800E and it is very slow in FPS compared to the D4 i am also shooting
    Msmoto, mod
  • CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    I was going to reply to this post, but I think it is spam... The links are for 42nd ST photo and amazon.. Or is that just an auto feature on NR now?
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited February 2015
    Or is that just an auto feature on NR now?
    been an auto feature for years
    hear is a test
    I have not added a link to any of the following
    Nikon
    Amazon 70 -200 f 2.8

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    @sevencrossing, LOL, guess I'm a little slow and probably should have noticed that over the years...

$1900 might not be too bad of a trade in price. I checked through ebay finished listing and they range from 1500-3000 sold depending on condition. On FM they tend to sell between 1900 and 2500. But there is no hassle with trading it in. You don't have to worry about shipping, scams or 13% ebay fees.

The price does seem too low on the VR2 though.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @Coastalconn: Just hover your mouse over the bold type NIKON in sevencrossing's post and you will see the words 'shopping link added by skimwords'.
    Always learning.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited February 2015
    Huh ? .. I dont see any links .. I dont think its a forum feature.. its probably some settings or plugin or installed "adware" on your computers or browsers. !!!
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• framerframer Posts: 491Member
    Suck it up and keep the D3s That D810 make a great 2nd body. Between the two you got everything covered.. Then add the 20 1.8 and a 50 1.8 because it cheap. Want to go light use the D810 w/ that 50.

That D3s will get the picture the others miss. The DF is missing too much.

If you print smaller that 16x24 the D3s is all you need.
    edited February 2015
    "framer"
    Keep the D3s That D810 make a great 2nd body. Between the two you got everything covered.. .
    +10

A friend has a similar combination. He keeps a AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR on the D3s
    and uses a set of primes on a D800
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    "framer"
    Keep the D3s That D810 make a great 2nd body. Between the two you got everything covered.. .
    +10

A friend has a similar combination. He keeps a AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR on the D3s
    and uses a set of primes on a D800
    A superzoom on a D3s. I wonder what the D3s did to deserve that? Only 12 megapixels perhaps.
    edited February 2015

A superzoom on a D3s. I wonder what the D3s did to deserve that? Only 12 megapixels perhaps.
    He uses it, when he is unsure what the situation he has been sent to cover, is going to throw at him and only want to carry one camera and one lens.

No, not what you choose for the cover of a glossy magazine, which is why he has a D800 a rage of primes and an assistant to carry them :)

He also has a D4 when he lots of fps but like the OP, he is in love his D3s
    .. a Rage of primes .. like a flock of birds? LOL !! I like it !
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    I wonder what it is about the D3s that makes it long in the tooth? 12MP? If so does 16MP make a huge difference to you? I am not trying to make an argument - I want to know.

If the D3s was a good idea 4 years ago - why is it not working now?

If you have taken up landscape work then a D800/D800e/D810 might make a huge difference.
    If you do a lot of indoor sports shooting I dont see a huge difference between a D3s and a D4/D4s unless you can make a ton of money with a D4/D4s that you can not do with a D3s.
    ^ I agree. For me though, the clincher on upgrading is noise so that may be true for some of the others. I know the D3s is no slouch in that regard, but the D4 is an improvement IIRC?
    Always learning.
    The D3s, D4 and D4s are basically identical in terms of high ISO noise. The newer bodies have a very slight edge, maybe 1/3 of stop.
    edited February 2015
    Then I would go for the D3s all other things being equal. 12mp is enough for a lot of uses.

To be honest I did notice the jump in resolution when I went from 12mp to 16mp. Not earth shattering, but quite noticeable.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    All things being equal I too would prefer a D4s over a D3s. But the thing is that the D4s is $4K more than the OP can get for he's D3s. He states that he is doing less and less payed work and he doesn't like the bulk of the camera.

Keep the D3s for whatever payed work is left and get a lighter camera for your own work.

I don't know if the D800/D800e/D810 is that much lighter - it is still a large camera to carry around. And a D800 will not match a D3s when it comes to hi ISO performance. Sure you can shoot hi ISO. But you will be eating away your MP advantage very fast. And a D800 is slow compared to a D3s.

So it all comes down to what you really need. You know what you want - a lighter setup. But will that do the job?
    Sounds like a back-up mirrorless system would do the trick.
    Always learning.
    edited February 2015
    Sounds to me your D3s does do its job perfectly for you except for the weight.. I think your first decision of the Df sounds right too but for the single card. .. I think the consensus here is that you keep the D3s. It is working and will continue to work for many years. It is a pro level camera. and the only right "upgrade" is the D4s. since you are not going for an "upgrade" option then the option of a D810 is logical. but you can only afford a "swap" however, I would not want to run a business where I only have 1 camera.

SO .. the only logical option is a lower level camera. Here we have 3 options ..
    1) Df
    2) D610
    3) D750

You have already ruled out Df so that leaves D610 and D750. I think for you the D750 seems the best option but the D610 is great value.. the only issue I see is the handling .. you will need to see if dropping down from pro level handling is too much of an issue.. If it is you still have the final option of getting a refurbished D800.

Post edited by heartyfisher on

• 2jzgte2jzgte Posts: 3Member
    I wonder what it is about the D3s that makes it long in the tooth? 12MP? If so does 16MP make a huge difference to you? I am not trying to make an argument - I want to know.

If the D3s was a good idea 4 years ago - why is it not working now?

If you have taken up landscape work then a D800/D800e/D810 might make a huge difference.
    If you do a lot of indoor sports shooting I dont see a huge difference between a D3s and a D4/D4s unless you can make a ton of money with a D4/D4s that you can not do with a D3s.

Th only reason and I mean only reason is to recuperate some value. The D3s seems to be bleeding 100$ a month in negotiating with potential sellers. I do not want my D3s to be worth 500$ or less, in the coming months or years when I could have swapped up to something else. It is perhaps a reflection of our current throw away society. Gone are the days when when an F4,F5 and especially an F6 would hold their value. I kept my Rebel Xti because my parents bought me that camera, and emotianally and sentimeantally this is where it all began. I recently found myself buying a 40D for 400$ for fun and a throw back, but with professional bodies this is a bit superfluous. Perhaps I should just resign to 6X7 and throw caution to the wind with cheap DSLR'S and let my D3s slowly go the way of the buffalo.
  • 2jzgte2jzgte Posts: 3Member
    The only reason and I mean only reason is to recuperate some value. The D3s seems to be bleeding 100$ a month in negotiating with potential sellers. I do not want my D3s to be worth 500$ or less, in the coming months or years when I could have swapped up to something else. It is perhaps a reflection of our current throw away society. Gone are the days when when an F4,F5 and especially an F6 would hold their value. I kept my Rebel Xti because my parents bought me that camera, and emotianally and sentimeantally this is where it all began. I recently found myself buying a 40D for 400$ for fun and a throw back, but with professional bodies this is a bit superfluous. Perhaps I should just resign to 6X7 and throw caution to the wind with cheap DSLR'S and let my D3s slowly go the way of the buffalo. - See more at: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/3940/am-i-out-to-lunch-or-on-the-right-track#Item_1