Where is the Nikon [I AM | Advancing] Firmware Update?

luigi454luigi454 Posts: 13Member
edited February 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Has this been forgotten about? It's pretty much gone dark.

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2015
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Mentioned this to NPS Nikon Uk, and they just said, You will know more about this than we do.And all I know is what I have seen on NR.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @paulr: So did you take that to mean it is fiction? It is starting to smell that way.
    Always learning.
  • funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    After all, this is a rumor site :) so it's always a possibility to talk about hoaxes.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    edited February 2015
    They had no information from Nikon, but they said they are only given information when they are told to announce it. Shame if it's a hoax, I would have paid for the extra firmware.
    Post edited by paulr on
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    +1
    Always learning.
  • luigi454luigi454 Posts: 13Member
    It's a shame if it's a hoax because there is a lot of basic functionality that should just go without saying and this is Nikons chance to make their camera's worth buying (or enjoyable for current owners)
    @luigi454: Perhaps you need to add the word 'more' into your post in a couple of places as Nikon cameras are already worth buying and already enjoyable for current owners. Ask my canon shooting friend as he would like to swap.
    Always learning.
    edited February 2015
    that's probably correct. I'm the kind of person who will run linux on their toaster and coffee pot just because... Since the Expeed4 is ARM based it pains me that it's not programmed to do more than the standard Nikon functionality has offered in the past. We have new chips... but they're being gimped with the same functionality as the old ones.
    Post edited by luigi454 on
  • funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    @luigi454 what do you want your Nikon to do under Linux? Toast coffee or brew bread? Seriously, to me it's not "plase add some tons more functions", more "let me choose the ones important to me".
    Call me crazy, but the last thing I want on my camera is an open OS. Why? It makes it less venerable to crapware etc.
    Absolutely. Last thing I want is a buggy camera.
    Always learning.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Just asking. How open would this make our OS. We already get bug fixes and some minor enhancements from Nikon. Would it change things?
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    If I paid for a firmware upgrade I would want to know exactly what it added ad took away from my present firmware. I want to know what I am buying. I wish we were told that now so we would know more about an upgrade.
    @retread nikon currently lists the changes and fixes in each firmware update they issue.

@funtagraph yah, totally. I wish Nikon would throw a ton of new features and options on top of these already great cameras but I also understand their view of wanting to define a user experience. I'm fine with the customization options we have to map/easy access just what I want, but there are a few things (especially from the leak/rumour) that I'm harping for.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    @retread nikon currently lists the changes and fixes in each firmware update they issue.
    Rumors I have read say they do not tell what they may take out such as having ways to prevent use of third party accessories.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited February 2015
    Rumors I have read say they do not tell what they may take out such as having ways to prevent use of third party accessories.
    I really don’t think they purposely do that. its more like the don't care to test the 3rd party stuff, nor should they.
    I think testing some 70-100 nikkor lenses on a dozen Nikon bodies in more than enough work..
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

I really don’t think they purposely do that. its more like the don't care to test the 3rd party stuff, nor should they.
    I think testing some 70-100 nikkor lenses on a dozen Nikon bodies in more than enough work..
    ...and it is work that actually pays them Vs work for their competitors benefit.
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Got a question for everyone.
    And how much are you willing to pay per year after 3 "free years" of updates?
    Bet we will see a wide range on this question.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited February 2015
    As much as I like the idea of getting new features, I don't think I'd pay for it once the camera was that old. Lets put it this way, Nikon would have to add something extremely important for me to do so. I sure wouldn't pay more than $5-10.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    I wouldn't pay anything for updates because they are only bug fixes that they need to fix anyway(most of the time). For new features (that would allow you to do something that you can't do in it's present state) I think it would depend on the feature and how much I needed it or thought I needed it. Is there any reason why a D800 can't be made to do what a D810 does. Just my thoughts at the moment and they can change at any time.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    I work in IT and there is a saying that the work is never complete.. Its not like a painting where the artist knows his last stroke. Give me 3 years to add more features on my D610 software and I could double the feature set !
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    If Nikon improve old models where is the insentive to buy a new model??
    edited February 2015
    My 2c:

1/ After 3 years, the tech will have moved on so we would have our eyes on the next big thing.

2/ If they make it original owner only then people who by used (or refurb?) could have to pay anyway.

3/ Bug fix firmware updates should be free period (they could hide them among improvement updates so you would have to pay for them but that would be bad).

4/ Would users be able to 'cherry-pick' updates or would you need to buy them all to get the benefit of the last i.e. all or nothing (this point is one of the things that makes me think about whether or not the whole firmware update story is a hoax). I would pay $25 for that alone. Maybe more.

ASSuming the whole thing isn't a ploy to find the leaks in the company, and that you can cherry pick, I would love the RAW Histogram as it is the most important of any of them IMHO and is also the thing that makes me most sure the whole story is a hoax.

@Admin should chip in about his credibility rating - mine is zero ATM because if RAW histogram's were possible, they would be on new models of some cameras by now (50mp Canons for example).
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • FritzFritz Posts: 140Member
    I keep seeing 3rd party software tweaks for the 750 that claim to up the fps/buffer but I would not dare to try them. However, the idea of a reputable 3rd party offering software enhancements intrigues me since there is a certain amount of "de-tuning" that Nikon routinely seems to do for marketing reasons and we do not really know what the potential full capabilities of many of our cameras might be. There are up grades for computers, automobile ignition systems and the like, so why not cameras?