Nikon Image Space...Have you tried it?

MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
edited February 2013 in General Discussions
With the advent of a new photo posting location called Nikon Image Space, we now have anther option. And if one owns a Nikon camera, you will get 20GB of memory space I believe. So, if anyone besides me has posted photos...we can discuss the pros and cons here.

Let's see if this works

http://img.gg/ZyoKNwX

It gives a URL, but I will search for an HTML code.....mmmm......

Well, it seems to work... I went to the "i" button and then at the bottom of the column it gives and HTML code. .....except it does not link back to the original....at least I cannot do it yet.....
Post edited by Msmoto on
Msmoto, mod

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    What happens about the intellectual rights of ones images Tommie? Do Nikon get to sell them without your permission?
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited February 2013
    This is important for others....and I do not know the answer. But, everything I shoot is basically free for the taking. However, they all carry a copyright and it is in the watermark. So, if someone purchased the image, I found out about it, and it went for a lot for money, (little chance) I may decide to discuss this with the consumer. But, if anyone knows the answer to your question, let them join in.

In reviewing the "conditions of use" I could find no place where Nikon accept, demands, gains use of, or in anyway may use the images without permission of the member who posts the images.

Thus, I would conclude the images are like on most sites, controlled by the user as far as sharing, etc.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Haven't tried it, but I heard it was flash based. To me that equals, something I want to avoid.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    @ PB_PM

Can you explain the reasons behind your decision?
    Msmoto, mod
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2013
    It uses flash, that is reason enough to me. To expand on that, many users disable flash in their browsers, due to the constant security issues related to the plugins. Any company that launches a new web service in 2013 using technology that is falling out of favor with the user base is a service that I don't want to use.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    edited February 2013
    I tried and tried to find the "register" button/link which apparently did not exist ( at the time , at least ) . Then I read the comments in NR blog and learned people only found the register link after googling it - can you believe it ?. I decided to give it some time till the site pulled it together.
    Post edited by Paperman on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2013
    Created an account and put some images in it, It is very slow.
    Clicked by 1 photo on - share - and got NO link, but a message, try again later.
    The photo was set in a - share - album (with a link), so something happened..
    Second time I shared, I got a link and this one works.
    It is not possible to disable - download - if you don't register when you own a Nikon camera.
    So everybody can download your photo now.

Link edited: http://img.gg/llGo9NZ

The program asked for an alternate e-mail address, when you start.
    You can only pass this screen without giving your phone number, when you click on - no registration -.
    So I did not register, I'am not getting the 20gb now.

I hate it when you do not get any choice for what information you give about yourself.
    That is the difference between Nikon and me, they want to know everything about you.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Oh dear.

Still, I suppose we shouldn't expect something for nothing should we. It does seem sometimes that we are under constant attack for our info so we can be bombarded with targeted advertising.

Maybe they will change it if they don't get enough people registering.
    Always learning.
    edited February 2013
    Well, I upgraded to the 20gb account, that went painless and simple.
    No extra questions asked.

Could not do anything with my shared photo, so I deleted it from the shared album and made a new link.
    Now I'am able to disable - download -.

Here is the new link:http://img.gg/llGo9NZ

@MsMoto How did you made your photo visible on this forum?
    Ah, found it. :)
    In the album (not the shared) click on the - i - button and I found the ,img. tag.

• Having read this thread I wandered over to check it out - so far I have 2 Nikon logins - one for the everyday site, and one for the Nikon pro bit (even though I'm not pro, and more than a bit thick if you listen to certain people here...) - seems like I'm going to need a third one - can't these people coordinate anything?

I'll report back later...
    edited February 2013
    Well, I must admit, the words in my head about Nikon as I went through the process were not exactly good. At some point the word Canon came through, but only as my frustration had reached a peak......Somehow the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

I think everything is OK now at the Image Share, but I actually do not know how what I will use it for as I am on Flickr with almost 2,000 images.

It seems to work as I tried it again... the little "i" button, opens a panel on the left side, at the bottom is an HTML code which if copied and pasted into your post here will give an image.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    edited February 2013
    Nah, it i sssssslow, interface so so. I stick to Flickr also for now.
    Who knows in the future, it was worth a try.
    Very good idea to start this topic Tommy, thank you.

This afternoon I got my first mail from Nikon to sell me Nikon watches (never heart of those). That was quick, so I stick to Flickr for sure.
    Yes, the problem with the Nikon Image site is that as far as I know, one cannot click on the posted photo and get to an enlarged photo on the site.

So, Flickr it is for me...
    Msmoto, mod
  • flight3flight3 Posts: 379Member
    edited February 2013
    I have to say that I love that Nikon gives 20GB to its own users. I would like a free site (other than Flickr or Picassa) to host my photos. But I have to agree with PB_PM that since it is flash based, it won't work that well across all platforms. And even when it does work, it can be pretty slow as everyone is describing.
    Post edited by flight3 on
    Nikon D3100, 18-55mm VR, 50mm 1.8D, Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 OS, Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash www.dreshad.com
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Err how do you upgrade ?
    Well, I upgraded to the 20gb account, that went painless and simple.
    No extra questions asked.

Could not do anything with my shared photo, so I deleted it from the shared album and made a new link.
    Now I'am able to disable - download -.

Here is the new link:http://img.gg/llGo9NZ

@MsMoto How did you made your photo visible on this forum?
    Ah, found it. :)
    In the album (not the shared) click on the - i - button and I found the ,img. tag.

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• flight3flight3 Posts: 379Member
    edited February 2013
    @heartyfisher

You can find the upgrade information in the middle of this article: http://nikonrumors.com/2013/01/28/nikon-image-space-is-now-live-get-a-free-20gb-account-if-you-own-a-nikon-camera.aspx/

It was quick and simple for me to upgrade.
    Post edited by flight3 on
    Nikon D3100, 18-55mm VR, 50mm 1.8D, Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 OS, Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash www.dreshad.com
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    A tad slow and sometimes freezes up Early days for Nikon Not in the same League as Flickr and Vimeo
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited July 2013
    Haha, I just used my D40 to authenticate the 20 gig upgrade! I'm glad they still recognize older cameras! However, the upgrade software does not officially recognize the newest version of Mac OSX Mountain Lion, so be careful. I was using Snow Leopard.

I haven't yet uploaded anything yet, but it does seem slow in comparison to Flickr. I decided to do an upgrade just in case the upgrade gets pulled eventually.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S