Models' point of view NSFW

heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
edited February 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Nice article ..
Don't think I will ever shoot nudes .. just not that interested :-) but I think its interesting to see the Model's point of view and perspective of creative collaboration.

10 Things You Might Not Know About Nude Models [NSFW]
http://www.diyphotography.net/10-things-might-not-know-nude-models-nsfw/
Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited February 2015
    In what way you think they would differ ? i mean besides the fact that there are a$#*Les in every profession ...
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    Having done a small amount of this work a long time ago, What she says is sensible, but one important point left out.

For my own protection, and the model's ease of mind, I never did any of these sessions alone.

I always had at least two other people present on my team, one of which would be a woman, to help with lighting, make-up etc., but also to provide assurance for the model, and witnesses for me. Even if the model and I had worked together before. We both felt safer and the atmosphere was more professional.

Most times the model also brought someone along.

In these times it is foolhardy to put yourself alone in a room with a person you do not know well.

Regards ... Harold
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,744Member
    I am en route to a shoot involving nude right now. Needless to say, I read this carefully. If I am ever in a potential sticky situation of any sort (like today) I have a hidden voice recorder that I do not disclose. Most people making a false claim will not consider that their testimony will be compared with that.
  • calengorcalengor Posts: 277Member
    Depending on your location, recording a second party (even just voice) without their consent may be illegal, just keep that in mind.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    What, you mean they're human and can be reasoned with? You don't say? :D
    I am en route to a shoot involving nude right now. Needless to say, I read this carefully. If I am ever in a potential sticky situation of any sort (like today) I have a hidden voice recorder that I do not disclose. Most people making a false claim will not consider that their testimony will be compared with that.
    I'm no lawyer but, like calengor said, that seems like it could be in some legal gray area and I think it can be used against you as well if not illegal in itself especially if you don't disclose it.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    For any serious model photography, I prefer that a video cam be rolling at all times, more than one if the set/scene is big. The consent to record is part of the model release. If anyone asks, it's for documenting the process for educational benefit.
  • funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    edited February 2015
    If a person makes herself to a spokesperson and tells the public about "what we think / how we want to be treated / want to be seen" , I usually just think "speak for yourself". That a couple of you are on the edge of taking lawyers into the shooting, possible witnesses, even unauthorized recordings lets me expect the next nonsense we will get in Europe imported from the States. I'm not referring exclusively of the precautions some of you are using, I'm also referring to the methods of making a scandal out of everything as long as somebody's interested in and another somebody has to pay.

Bad thing, making bad experiences. The idea of developing a kind of trustful relationship apparently by working together for more than one session is soooo 80ies?
    Post edited by funtagraph on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    If a person makes herself to a spokesperson and tells the public about "what we think / how we want to be treated / want to be seen" , I usually just think "speak for yourself". That a couple of you are on the edge of taking lawyers into the shooting, possible witnesses, even unauthorized recordings lets me expect the next nonsense we will get in Europe imported from the States. I'm not referring exclusively of the precautions some of you are using, I'm also referring to the methods of making a scandal out of everything as long as somebody's interested in and another somebody has to pay.

Bad thing, making bad experiences. The idea of developing a kind of trustful relationship apparently by working together for more than one session is soooo 80ies?
    I agree- the risk of being sued really takes the fun out of things, but that's the reality of it today unfortunately. Forget about nude photographs, I'm sometimes nervous about taking street photos of kids (where it's within my rights to do so) just because I'm worried about getting sued.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,744Member
    I have used "unauthorized" recordings on a couple of occasions in court. It is not illegal and can't be used against you (in Canada), but it could prejudice your case in some instances. I am confident about this and have had supporting collaboration from lawyers and even a judge.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Any article that starts with "10 things" or similar is likely to be click-bait so I don't take the bait.
    Always learning.
  • GjesdalGjesdal Posts: 277Member
    Talk to them first, be sure that there is no misunderstanding.
    I had a one that told me she was up for anything, but I didn't get a feeling that her "anything" would be the same as mine so we talked a bit more and and I realized that "anything" for her was implied nudity.
    After this I made a little book that I show clients of shots I've done before that starts off with regular portraits and up to erotic level. For each category it starts off with a page that says for instance "implied topples" and if they're curious about that they'll advance and they'll stop when they're think this is what they are ok with.
    In addition the photos are edited and lit different so we can talk about what kind of results we'll strive for.

If I pay for the model, I presume that she knows what she/him knows what we've agreed, but still I would show he results in the shoot and talk about it. I was once not entirely sure about one photo from a shoot with a paid for model, but not sure if more was revealed than she would want so I e-mailed to her to ask if she was ok with it and she was.

My experience with nude photography isn't that long (1 1/2 year), I've had around 25 shoots with paid models, tfp models and clients, so bear that in mind. I enjoy the challenge of it immensely and I feel I learn something every time I get to work with these wonderful people.
    D810 | D7100 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art |Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 G AF-S VRII ED | Nikon 105mm F2.8 AF-S IF-ED VR II Micro | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM | Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Coolpix P6000 IR converted | http://gjesdal.org
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    In the 1960's, being in the center of the hosiery industry, High Point, North Carolina, I shot dozens of panty hose packages. On set I had the following: Model director/makeup gal, client, art director and my grip.

However, at no time were any of theses standing around looking as I shot the model, except the female model director. The set was walled off with rolling walls, lighting was always completely set before the model came to the set, and the shoot required about five to ten minutes at most.

The client and others were on set when the model had more covering, robe, towel, or clothes, etc. before and after the shoot.

Usually before the shoot we had discussed everything which was to be done including a walk through of the pose of the model when she had clothes on. The client was able to view the walk through.

The absolute necessity is to maintain one of respect and good taste. When this is done, it is just a job.
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    That's Pukka Tommie.
    Always learning.