D750 Pre-Purchase Questions on Batteries

MDof2MDof2 Posts: 10Member
edited February 2015 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
Greetings all,

Curious on others experiences on aftermarket / non-Nikon batteries for the D750. I'm getting ready to purchase one in the next few days and wanted to check a few things prior to purchasing. (place amazon order now to get stuff on the way) I know with my D5100 it doesn't like aftermarket batteries with the newest firmware.

Appreciate any information on your first hand experience in using non-Nikon batteries in your D750.

Much thanks-
Tagged:

Comments

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited February 2015
    My experience of NOT using non-Nikon batteries is excellent :)
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    At the price of the camera body, the second battery's price becomes irrelevant imo.The chances of getting a cheap, malfunctioning, eventually camera-damgaging battery increase. Take the risk or leave it, but saving 20 bucks - for that I have better ideas. I only use genuine batteries, buy them from serios sources and never from eBay or the like and I take a look at the seal.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I love my new 7 series BMW (D750) , but I can't afford that premium gas or oil so I put the cheap stuff in.
    False economy. Batteries and memory cards are not the right place to go cheap. You want a knock off brand that costs $20-$40 less than a genuine. What happens when that battery melts or catches fire in your camera. You think nikon will cover that under warrantee?
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    The only batteries I have ever had fail are Nikon ..knock offs zero Nikon 3 .

If you buy from an address in your country not HK you can send back if the chipping is not right.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I got a free generic with my D750. Used it once to confirm it worked and sold it on eBay. I prefer to use Nikon batteries in my equipment for the same reason as @Ironheart and @sevencrossing.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    The paranoid part of me agrees it isn't worth going cheap, but then again, if you buy your gear and the battery from the same SHOP (online sources excluded) and there is a problem, they will cover it for you. My Canon shooting business partner uses Haenel batteries in his camera and they are better than the Canon ones. Now Canon isn't Nikon, and the D750 is quite hard on batteries in terms of drain, but then nothing has exploded either.. ;)
    Always learning.
    edited February 2015
    @spraynpray - amen to "nothing has exploded either...
    Good logic to what your wrote, I just am more comfortable using the Nikon batteries. Don't have time right now but will loop back to talk about all the different chargers that Nikon is using on the D7100, D610, D750 DSLR with the same battery. Probably applies to other Nikon DSLR's but I only can mention those I have dealth with.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    I got a free Watson battery for my D810 and it's nothing but problems.
    1. can't get it to a full charge.
    2. camera locks up before it gets close to being empty.

I know I won't buy one. Now I know why it came with the camera bundle.
  • JCTibuJCTibu Posts: 44Member
    40 dollars for a Nikon battery is not a deal break... it is in fact a good deal comparing the cost of the cameras and the price of ¨cheap¨batteries....
    Nikon D750 - Sigma 24-105mm f4 - Nikon 50mm 1.8g - Nikon 55-300mm - SB700 -SB400
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2015
    Where can you find a Nikon battery for $40? An EN-EL15 is around $90+, at least outside of the USA.

That said, the OEM battery is still worth it. I've had mixed experiences with third party batteries, one that caused nothing but trouble and another that is okay, but does not hold up as well when used for video recording or heavy shooting.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I think he meant $40 savings. If I were you I would toss the one that "doesn't hold up under load". This means the voltage level is dropping below what the camera's power supply will tolerate. This can cause all sorts of issues including corrupting your firmware settings if you were in the menus, corrupted flash card, or worse. The reason that battery is doing that is due to an internal micro-short, or poor manufacturing. When the battery is doing this, it will produce excessive heat and possibly warp the case. This can ultimately lead to thermal runaway and fire. I guess my experience with large populations of laptops and cell phones has made me paranoid...
    If I were you I would toss the one that "doesn't hold up under load". This means the voltage level is dropping below what the camera's power supply will tolerate.
    Already done so. Now days I use it as a place holder when my other nikon batteries are charing. It's never been flaky, it just doesn't last as long as the OEM ones do. Not surprising really.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Just looked 50 bucks EN-EL15 at BestBuy. Cheap.
    edited February 2015
    Just looked 50 bucks EN-EL15 at BestBuy. Cheap.
    Note that I said outside the USA. Just looked at Bestbuy.ca, $99. That's a far larger gap than the exchange rate (by about $37), so Nikon must be making big bucks on batteries north of the 49th.

As note before though, I will never buy a third party battery again, just not worth it, no matter what the cost.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Yeah I did get that outside the US.Do you have to pay any kind of tax if you get some in the mail.
    Where can you find a Nikon battery for $40? An EN-EL15 is around $90+, at least outside of the USA.

That said, the OEM battery is still worth it. I've had mixed experiences with third party batteries, one that caused nothing but trouble and another that is okay, but does not hold up as well when used for video recording or heavy shooting.
    I ordered an EN-EL15 for $43.00 from B&H last month for the MB-D16...which was ordered 2 months ago.

Not sure if he meant $40 or a $40 savings.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited February 2015
    For those in Canada, B and H does free shipping over $99.

I'm not sure how they price Canadian bound merchandise, but I guess you could buy something else, like memory cards and stuff and then get the battery.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/int-shippingRulesPolicies.jsp
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • JCTibuJCTibu Posts: 44Member
    hello!

I live outside US.... i bought my stuff from B&H and looking into the web site the EN-EL15 is 45 dollars...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/735929-REG/Nikon_27011_EN_EL15_Lithium_Ion_Battery_1000mAh.html

I use a PO BOX in Florida and then they will ship it to me, will cost only US$4.50 and will take only like 4 days from Miami to Panama, central america.

If i am lucky (really lucky) and found the battery in here, it will cost at least US90.00...

So yeah.. It is a lot cheaper to bought it upthere.... :)
    Nikon D750 - Sigma 24-105mm f4 - Nikon 50mm 1.8g - Nikon 55-300mm - SB700 -SB400