D800 remote socket issue

NikonguyNikonguy Posts: 4Member
edited January 2013 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
I can't find a reference to the old discussion (from the old forum) about the broken remote socket, was just wondering how everyone going with it, I've just experienced the same issue and have lodged for a warranty repair here in Australia.
When I first connected my Nikon remote unit, I left it on, had never taken it off (suits my shooting style) 4 months later it stopped working so I took it off and found a sunken 10 pin connector, it had fallen back into the body, I am hoping it is not going to be an on-going issue for us Nikon d800 folk.
Nikonguy practices his craft in the little spare time he has and with occasional sporadic output

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I would very carefully explain to Nikon warranty service what you have shared here. And that is the failure occurred after it had worked for a long time and it was not a result of your connecting the device, but occurred spontaneously with no actual input from you.

This should be covered.
    Msmoto, mod
  • This should be covered.
    I'm sorry but I have to ask - why do you write 'should' ? The 10 pin block is designed to have connectors plugged in to it (it would seem to me) - if it falls off/out/in then it's not being held in place correctly and there's a design flaw. This is not a case of should be anything - this is "repair or replace" situation which must be handled under guarantee, and preferably with no cost (shipping or otherwise) to the owner.

With the greatest respect to your comments here, this is not really a case of sharing anything with Nikon, more than simply mentioning that this is not the first case you've heard of. Nikon and most manufacturers are pretty stringent regarding keeping precise details of any return (reason for etc.) and I feel sure that this database is available to any repair centre worth it's salt - all they have to do is check to see if there have been any other occurences.

Really sorry to get on the horse here, the rant is over - it just gets me p***** to think we have to get on bended knee to get a problem sorted.

edited January 2013
    @ darkslide

I fully agree, but Nikon is strange to deal with. My opinion is this "should be covered" Only Nikon can make a statement as to whether they will cover it. If I am not mistaken, on one of the earlier D800's when this happened Nikon said ti was not warranty. This is on the old forum and was very clearly something a lot of folks were upset about, but this is life. It may very well be, Nikon came back and covered the early one, but this needs further looking into.

If you check this link

http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=9032&page=2

you will find on some bodies Nikon charged $225 to have it repaired. Others were under warranty.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • NikonguyNikonguy Posts: 4Member
    The service centre here in Melbourne, Australia tell me it's a warranty repair so I should be OK.
    I am getting a bit annoyed with the time it's taking though (2 weeks so far), rang and followed it up today to be told because it's a new camera nikon haven't got the parts and they are waiting for them, "should be another week or so" was the response.
    Nikonguy practices his craft in the little spare time he has and with occasional sporadic output
  • EiTaroEiTaro Posts: 35Member
    I wonder if the socket after a repair is going to be so fragile as it was when the camera was purchased or the socket is not gonna be an issue again. Do we have feedback from someone who has received a repaired D800?
    D800 | 16-35mm f4 | 50mm f1.4 | 70-200mm f2.8 | 150-600 Sport | SB910 | RRS
  • ray_fray_f Posts: 2Member
    Mine was repaired in the fall, i have used it with both a wired remote (MC-36) and a wireless trigger, without a problem. I I haven't been tightening the connector, though, just being careful to align the pins correctly before pushing it into the socket. Mine broke the one time i decided to actually screw it in, so i'm not taking any chances that it may be a design flaw relating to the collar being over tightened.
  • underexposedunderexposed Posts: 1Member
    I am having the exact same issue as Nikonguy. I have had a MC-36 connected to my D800 for the past two months and other than the silver threaded coupler coming loose every 2 weeks or so, it has worked fine. Until today... I usually take night shots and long exposures with the MC-36 in lock mode and the camera in Bulb, today I found the ten pin plug had, just like everyone else's, pushed in and is now off centre. This sounds like a common theme. I hope Nikon owns up to the defective design/materials. I have a trip planned in just over two weeks and am relying on Nikon to get this repaired in time. I think we will have to wait several months to find if the fix from Nikon is acceptable or merely a patch which returns the camera to it's original off the shelf state.
  • tektradertektrader Posts: 58Member
    If you took the camera to Camera clinic on Collingwood. They will do GOOD JOB OF IT.

I had issues with my d7000 and they where fantastic people to deal with. If there is a parts delay, there is.

Hope you D800 comes back fixed soon.
  • NikonguyNikonguy Posts: 4Member
    Good news I got the camera back about a week ago now (3 weeks in all), seemms to be ok bot like ray-f comment above I will not tighten the silver collar too much, this seems to be the practical advise I have gleamed off the forums.
    In response to tektrader, yes it was repaired by Camera Clinic and I respect their operation, seems to be a good very well run business, just a little annoyed Nikon Aust don't keep the parts so readily available for essentially a known issue on a pro-sumer camera body that is now widely used in the professional domain, a tad awkward I would suggest Nikon Oz.
  • SargeSarge Posts: 3Member
    edited February 2013
    I bought a new USA D800 on 1/24/13 from B&H. When it arrived, the pop-up flash fell apart upon first use, and as a screw fell off one of the arms. Luckily I found the screw and screwed it back in tight. Then, when I first went to use the ten pin remote, the remote wasn't working, and I hadn't even screwed in the collar yet. I pulled the plug out to find that the socket had receded into the body, slightly off-center, like everyone else. Sent it back to B&H, and two weeks later had my second D800. Upon first trying to use the ten pin connector, the same thing happened.

Either the design is completely defective, or there is a fault in the manufacturing line. It's as if there should be a retaining nut on the back side, holding the connector to the body, and it's not being installed.

I haven't even gotten as far as checking for oil on the sensor or R/L focus issues. It seems Nikon is making some real garbage these days.

For the record, I make a living as a pro photographer, and have used the same ten pin remote hundreds if not a thousand times or more on my 5 year old D3, and never had an issue, so this is not a 'user error'. I've had six digital Nikon bodies in the last eight years, and never seen a defect in any of them. I'm grossly disappointed in Nikon now, and I'm not sure what to do (being heavily invested), as I can't afford to have shoots ruined by defective gear, but I am overdue for an upgrade.

Unfortunately for everyone, this also means people should avoid buying any used D800 without some kind of warranty/return ability, as you could quite likely be buying a paperweight... which does nothing for 'resale' for new buyers, down the road. It's a very disappointing state of affairs.

Also, given the relatively small number of people who use the ten pin connector, I have to wonder how many defective cameras are out there, where the user may not even discover the flaw until the camera is well out of warranty...
    Post edited by Sarge on
    @ Sarge

Welcome to NRF. And we are saddened by Nikon's misadventures in some of the new bodies. I think this is excellent advice about a used D800....no deal unless a solid warranty is included. I turned one down with 100,000 clicks for $1850 for just that reason...I would have had to send it in for a refurb and get a warranty.
    Msmoto, mod
  • SargeSarge Posts: 3Member
    I just wish there were more transparency from Nikon on this - like 'the problem is because X, and the solution is Y'. So far, there is no word of why this is happening, which makes me wonder, if it were 'repaired', how long would the repair hold up? There's nothing worse than constantly wondering 'will it work this time', every time I show up to do a shoot...
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Wow, that's bad. Just hearing these stories makes me glad I decided to hang onto my D700, rather than upgrading.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    I just read through the posts on here and now am a bit concerned. I have been using the 10-pin connector quite frequently for both my Shutterboss and GigaPan Epic Pro. I have had no problems whatsoever although I tend to be pretty careful when connecting to the 10-pin socket. Might this problem be related to a specific run of cameras, like seemed to be the case with some of the intitial runs? My serial number begins with 3.
    Occasionally a decent image ...
    This appears to be an ongoing problem...Another individual has sent back his second D800 and encourages folks to press on the ten pin connector and if it moves at all it most likely will fail when one connects the remote of whatever.

Sounds like this is not too bad an idea. It certainly should be strong enough to resist a firm push as some of us cannot always get the detent lined up properly.
    Msmoto, mod
  • SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member
    Wow, that's bad. Just hearing these stories makes me glad I decided to hang onto my D700, rather than upgrading.
    Canada had it good from what I can gather. Mine has had none of the problems present in other D800 bodies.
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
  • D900ED900E Posts: 26Member
    You guys really make me cry and angry.
    I just bought a 24mm f/1.4 and a 35mm f/1.4 and was almost convinced to give it a shot and try my luck with the left focus, oil and green issues on the D800E.
    Then I read of this 10-pin defect... and I am back to the wait situation.
    Problems even on 1/24/13... I better leave this toy at B&H :-(
    Cameras: Coolpix P330, D100, D300s, D800E.
    Lenses: FX: 14 f/2.8; 14-24 f/2.8; 16-35 f/4, 24 f/1.4; 24-70 f/2.8; 24-120 f/4; 35 f/1.4; 50 f/1.8; 70-200 f/2.8; 70-300 f/4.5; 80-400 f/4.5; 85 f/1.4; 50-500 f/6.3 Sigma; DX: 10.5 f/2.8; 10-24 f/3.5; 16-85 f/3.5,18-70 f/3.5; 18-200 f/3.5; Manual 1000 reflex f/11
  • fishguyfishguy Posts: 23Member
    My 10-pin connector failed the third time I used it - while I was out on a 3 day photo seminar/class. I was able to limp along and do without it for the weekend and I sent the camera off to Melville last week. I just got a email saying they will repair it and clean the sensor for FREE under warranty. I was worried that they would tell me, like they have to others, that the problem stems from some sort of misuse by the owner - which in my case, I don't think it was, I was being EXTRA careful since I had heard so much about the 10 pin problem on NRF.
  • fishguyfishguy Posts: 23Member
    Re: my previous message. The camera came back today, less than 12 days after I sent it in to Nikon! No charge to me other than $35 postage and insurance, new 10 pin socket (looks different than the old one) a clean sensor, adjusted focus, the camera looks NEW. I cannot praise Nikon enough this time - they really took care of me!
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited June 2013
    Good to hear. The 10-Pin socket on my D800 seems soft (moves around a little when attaching a wired remote). I'm hoping that it will hold out, but if it does fail, it shouldn't cost and arm and leg to fix.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    Proud to say, so far, the D800 10 pin connector here is as solid as Gibraltar...
    Been using it faithfully with my GH-300T for a couple weeks or so without any issues.

I would prefer to leave the cable attached firmly to my camera, while not in use, as the threading on and off is a chore.
    It definitely always needs to be undone when the camera is slid back into the Lowepro Toploader.

Living in Canada does have it's distinct benefits, in many ways.
    Here's to hoping my camera continues its flawless and worry free awesome service.

If anyone living in the Southern Hemisphere needs any snow or ice, please let us know...
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

• kcchengkccheng Posts: 1Member
    edited December 2013
    yes the sucken connector happened to me and my friend 2012-dec, we bought D800 together and it happened after 2 or 3 weeks!
    it is a free repair for us though.
    Post edited by kccheng on
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    edited January 2014
    kccheng,
    Sorry to learn of another problematic unit. It's a drag twice, first the fault itself is upsetting, then the time lost, while the camera is in the repair shop. Nothing but time to think about it. (Why many have a backup camera to fill the gap)

Not pointing a crooked finger, But I often wonder if "some of these" concerns aren't perhaps from the fault of the user him self?
    What were you trying to apply to the connector when it failed? Did you force the plug a little too firmly, while not gently pushing it straight in.

Knowing that these delicate parts aren't made of titanium, extra~proper care and attention must be enacted, to placing the plug in correctly the first time and straight onto the pins.

My remote cable, for the Vanguard GH-300T pistol grip ball head, has a plug that is purposely bent out to the (east) right, so it's application is pretty obvious. But it can still line up improperly, if not placed directly on the ten pin connector.

Take care of it, once repaired. It could happen again, and that repair time, may cost you. J/K

Again, I'm sorry to learn of Your faulty unit!! Only Good luck after the repair.

PS, Welcome to the Forum...
    Post edited by ChasCS on
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

• kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Interesting, I must have missed this discussion before. I have a loose socket when I attach my DC-36 or MC-36 cable release to my D800e. It doesn't cause any problems in particular, but it is significantly loose and was worried it worsened and became troublesome. I found this discussion very useful thanks guys! :)