24-70 Tamron Nikon mount has play in the zoom ring??

METALBLADEMETALBLADE Posts: 51Member
edited February 2015 in Nikon Lenses
Okay so im probabaly in the wrong forum for this question but its attached to either my D3300 or my D750 i sware! lol

Anyways i just picked up a 24-70 Tamron 2.8 VC and i noticed that the zoom ring has the slightest bit of "play" in it. I can move it just the slightest bit without actually moving the zoom itself. Almsot like the zoom ring is the slightest bit loose almost not even noticeable but well i notice it. Now i dont know if that is normal for this particular style lens or i have a defective one so i was wondering if anyone else has the same issue.

Thank you all for your time!!

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Clarification question...how far does the zoom collar turn before the zoom range engages and starts to change?
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • METALBLADEMETALBLADE Posts: 51Member
    honestly you cant even see it move its that little. but you can here it hitting plastic on plastic when you turn give it a baby turn like there the slightest play in it. Im sorry i wish i could be more descriptive. I know ALL of my other lens have 0 play as soon as you put the slightest bit of pressure it turns. This one just seems the slightest bit loose.
    Here is a link to a quick video i made. You can hear the sound and the lack of movement but might be able to get a better idea of what i am talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7YLWUkEGj8&feature=youtu.be
    @Metalblade, your link did not work. I played with it and found your post on YouTube. You may want to replace this link with the one you posted.

I have used a few zooms that had some play but it's hard to say if this is normal for this lens or not. You may have gotten a sample that is within Tamron's specs and has some play. I would go back to the dealer and see what they say and if you are not satisfied, tell them you want to me with the Tamron representative next time he comes to that store.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Thank you so much for the reply @photobug and for re-posting the link. I guess i am some what happen to hear that some lens do have the slight play that i have but at the same time im not. I dont think its a deal breaker but honestly its all i can think of when i use it haha. I ordered from B and H online so i guess i can give them a call and see if they can test another one out at the store for me before i have to reorder one. I have a 70-200 from tamron i just got in and doesnt have the play yet a friend of mine just got a 28-70 tamron and he has slight play in his so i dont even know where to go with this other then i guess to call b and h or call tameron and see if this is normal and then go from there.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Backlash in the zoom ring doesn't sound too bad to me. In case anybody starts on about cheap non-Nikon products, my new 24-120 has backlash in the focus ring which also causes the live view image to jump as you try to achieve perfect focus. It is very annoying so will be going to service soon.
    Always learning.
    @pitchblack do you have the tamron 24-70 as well with the same problem? Thank you all for giving me the proper term of "backlash"

Now is that something that i might just have a bad copy? i am well within the return period, should i swap it out for a new one and hope the new one doesnt have this problem or just let it ride or should i send it in to tamron to get fixed?

Its sad because i hold it there so when zooming it feels weak and i dont know maybe overtime it will lead to failure?

This whole this is making me think about possibly getting the nikon but for 500 more i dont know if its that big of a deal.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I had a Tamron 10-24 for a while and it behaved no differently than any of the Nikon zoom lenses I own, meaning essentially zero backlash. I would exchange it ASAP.
    Thanks for the recommendation @ironheart i just called B and h where i ordered it from and spoke with a tech there about the issue i was having. He stated that the way i described it its so minimal that i should worry about it overall and that it happens some lens have it some dont. Not all Tamrons have it (he used a lot according to him) and some people actually complain about the opposite that its to tight. All in all im not sure what im going to do, optically its a great lens and im afraid of exchanging it and ending up with worse problems with the new one. lol I guess thats what returns are for right?
    @PitchBlack: Did you also have the Sigma 24-105? I wonder how they compare for IQ?
    Always learning.
    :D Thanks.
    Always learning.
    @Metalbalde - Your welcome for the repost of your YouTube video. Even though the blacklash is minimal it comes down to can you live with it. It's not going to hurt image IQ. If it still bothers you, I would elevate your concern to Tamron Customer Service and see what they say. More than likely they will tell you "its within normal manufacturing tolerances" and their lens can have XX amount of blacklash. Btu still raise the question if your not satisfied.
    @photobug Thanks again for the reply. I just got it 3 days ago so i decided to call b&h and thats pretty much what he said, its within specs so i should over worry. I posted the question on another forum and i had 2 people with this lens get back to me and they both said there is no play in there's. With that i think instead of returning it right away i am going to order and second one in and then do a side to side comparison and see which one is better or has better tolerances. I mean the tech did say i can return the item for any reason so i shouldn't get stuck with both of them.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Does the lens produce good results? If the answer is yes, then you go for it. If a problem develops, you have good evidence as to the functioning before any problem occurred.
    Msmoto, mod
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Just checked mine . it goes click click :-) doesn't bother me :-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Thank you guys for your feedback! I ended up ordering a second lens from b and h and it is definitely better then the first one. It still is the slightest bit loose but tighter then the first one. All in all im super excited to use this lens and thank you again for the info!
    Good for you. Get out there and take pictures with this lens.