This Forum needs a facelift

Carerra911Carerra911 Posts: 17Member
edited March 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Its really does, I can hardly use it, its such a mess, the Font............. , about time it got changed?

/rant off , lets be trolled

xxxx

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    "Really"
    Remember; with practice comes experience.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • Carerra911Carerra911 Posts: 17Member
    come on, defend this, look at canon rumors

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/

I can see what the hell is going on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    One click down and it looks exactly the same as this one. Font? Really?? OMG, go take some pictures!
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Funny. I actually like this setup.
    I went to CRF just to look and I still like this sites better.
  • funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    Yeah, definitely more Nikon-yellow here :D

But the search is actually a couple of times more useful than the crappy thing here

Although, when I was searching for "11-24" the sec on hit was a moron trying to compare 11-24 with 14-24 Nikkor. With charts from Roger Cigala who said a zillion times you can't compare between different systems.

Oh my, those Canonistas…. :D
    I'm not sure what the issue is with search, it works for me, its just a constrained google search.
  • SnapyourawSnapyouraw Posts: 36Member
    I totally agree with the idea !
    This forum need a kick in the backside :) chop-chop !
    If you force yourself to go outside, something wonderful always happens!
  • FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member
    The forum is an install of Vanilla (an open source forum software), and using a modified version of the VanillaPress theme, and some plugins, like WhosOnline (on the right) and Kudos (the +1 / -1 feature).

I don't think installing a new forum software is a realistic option, as it makes the current database obsolete, and implies a complete "restart". However details of the theme (i.e. appearance) are easier to change, and plugins can be installed to expand the functionality.

If you want changes, it's a good idea to specify what exactly you don't like. Just posting "This sucks, this other forum is better" is most likely not gonna trigger any concrete changes.

The search is an in-site Google search as everyone is using it, I don't know what would be the problem, unless the software produces a strange output from the database, which I haven't heard of (then again, I'm anything but an expert on the Vanilla software).
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited March 2015
    The problem with search, is it looks at both the old and new forums, it also will show closed threads.
    Very frustrating for a new member, who on their first post are told " do a search" and then finds the thread locked or closed
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    My information is the problems are being looked at.
    Msmoto, mod
    Don't we want people to find old threads so we don't rehash everything? What's the point otherwise, open a new thread for every question?
    edited March 2015
    Don't we want people to find old threads
    They are all very out of date and cannot be added to
    most subjects are duplicated on the new forum

When we say "do a search" do we mean

You question has already been answered, so please go away

or do we mean

Please add you comment to an existing thread

But as it is not possible to add a comment, on the old forum, the new member is likely to go away in any case
    I think we mean both. If your question has already been answered, then why ask it? If it hasn't, try to put it somewhere logicical. If you want to join a discussion, by all means...
  • michael66michael66 Posts: 231Member
    Its really does, I can hardly use it, its such a mess, the Font............. , about time it got changed?

/rant off , lets be trolled

xxxx
    Maybe I'm jaded, but I think the CRF is uglier than heck. And the leading, I think in terms of hits/users, is Ugly Hedgehog. It looks like an old newsgroup. But, I can find things just fine, here, CRF and Hedgehog. Using vanilla Google.

I do agree with @sevencrossing's assessment of what is found, but the closing of a thread is really up to the moderators.
    I just think a bit cleaner, as in design, because Nikon uses some Military numerals for their camera there is no need to have that ugly font for a subject :) it looks the same even though its different, the menu system to the right is not pleasant, the numbers next to the amount of threads there has been is overlapping, I just think its old and this is a big site! its Nikon Rumors! the only one! Im not trying to cause an agreement I'm only trying to make this site even better, If I had the time I would love to do a mock up,
    One click down and it looks exactly the same as this one. Font? Really?? OMG, go take some pictures!
    Heres my website www.louisamore.com

edited March 2015
    If you want to join a discussion, by all means...
    The problem is for someone new to nrf . Finding a relevant and open thread, to join

a search "24 -120 vs 24 -70" brings up 1,550 results

none of the first 5 pages seem relevant

I started trying , but you get the idea, its cleaner with the discussions not on the main page but the categories are the main page

edited March 2015
    Untitled
    Post edited by Carerra911 on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    A bit on a side note, but I think if immediately to the right of the thread title we can access the page of the thread rather than the first page of the thread would be a huge improvement to the forum. Also, the page options thread should also be available on the top, instead of the just the very bottom of the page. It's not a deal breaker, but it would make navigation so much faster.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    I am happy with things as is. I find what I need to find and chat in threads I am interested in. Being able to have alternate "skins" for the forum is nice to have but not essential. I guess having a category view could be good for some but I much prefer the current thread view. I find that forums with a category view less user friendly and I have to dig around more looking for the previous topics that I have to remember.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    The forum is fine.
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Yeah, the Mods should fix the website. Earn some of that money you're getting to...oh, never mind. :)
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    'This Forum Needs A Facelift' - Yeah, so do I but it ain't what you'd call necessary.....
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Just a thought about websites and forums..... Someone by the name of Lincoln said:
    "You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time."

Be well....
    Msmoto, mod