Will Anybody Be Trying Out the New Canon 5DS and 5DS-R?

kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
edited March 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I don't want to make this into an "US vs Them" discussion or why Nikon is so much better than Canon. I was just curious to know if anybody on this forum was interested in trying out these new high resolution Canon bodies. I can't wait to see how they stack up compared to the Nikon D800 series and how these Canon's do when evaluated by DxO. Any thoughts?

Comments

• manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Yes. But only because it's pixel pitch is the same as DX. It essentially renders DX meaningless.
    I am interested if Nikon is going to follow suit.
    The other thing I am interested in is the shutter. Are they using the same technology as in the 7d mark ii with a separate motor to decelerate the shutter.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Nope .. was thinking a D810 maybe but not the canons.. nothing on the other side of that fence seems greener. Maybe the other fences .. (fuji, sumsung)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Interesting responses so far. I thought more people might be trying it out of curiosity. The Nikon equivalent will only come in the form of the pro body D4X I expect so Nikon shooters will have to wait for their 50mp+ bodies if they even want one. I know I am more than happy with my D810 setup. ;)
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    The Nikon equivalent will only come in the form of the pro body D4X I expect so Nikon shooters will have to wait for their 50mp+ bodies if they even want one.
    Really? Why not a D900 (D810 body etc and 54mp sensor)?
    Always learning.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    The Nikon equivalent will only come in the form of the pro body D4X I expect so Nikon shooters will have to wait for their 50mp+ bodies if they even want one.
    Really? Why not a D900 (D810 body etc and 54mp sensor)?
    I would think a D810/D900, not a D4/5.
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    I am not sure I would get much use out of a Canon, might get a cheap one to have one. My interest lies withing the replacement for the D810 and a D5 for SLR type camera's and going above that into Leaf-Mamyia / Phase One and potentially a mirrorless Alpa MF camera.
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
    edited March 2015
    I'm not interested in Canon sensors. I suspect it performs exactly like a 7D Mark II sensor, only bigger. That's the pixel pitch. If that's the case, who cares.
    I care because then I would ditch the DX camera altogether; there would be no strong need for the 7DM2, and this issue of using FX to shoot distance with suboptimal pixel pitch would be a moot point. Maybe for fashion, you need the high DR to get all of those lovely features you shoot ;)
    Personally as a distance shooter the nice thing would be having one camera that gives you both the maximum pixels possible for the far off shots in crop mode, while being able to switch easily to wider angles when needed. There really is no reason to shoot DX other than the pixel pitch and cost, and the new Canon cameras would kill one of those two reasons. If Nikon really wants everyone on FX, then give us an FX sensor that makes the pixel pitch "reach" of a DX no longer an advantage.
    Post edited by manhattanboy on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    @manhattanboy, that assumes that DX stands still. When there is a 36MP DX, you will be pining for a 84MP FX.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    we already have 28mp dx sizes sensors (samsung) ..36mp Dx wont be far behind..
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I'm not interested in Canon sensors.
    This sentence says everything that anyone needs to know about why Canon is a brand I avoid like the plague.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    @manhattanboy: I would wait until the next generation of high MP cameras to ditch your DX. As of right now, the processors aren't going to be fast enough to get you any decent FPS rate.
    It has the exact same processors (dual digic 6's) that the 7dm2 has... just curious if it has the buffer depth and the other niceties like the motor-slowed shutter?
    @manhattanboy, that assumes that DX stands still. When there is a 36MP DX, you will be pining for a 84MP FX.
    we already have 28mp dx sizes sensors (samsung) ..36mp Dx wont be far behind..
    I hesitantly disagree with you both as virtually no one but Samsung is a threat to Sony right now in the DX sensor realm. Neither Canon nor Fuji nor Panasonic can match their pixel technology at the DX level. In some ways it makes more sense for Sony to slow everyone down with their sensor tech releases and strategically build up their mirrorless lens portfolio so that they can climb up to try to overtake Nikon as number 2 in the market. I think in some ways this is already happening, and probably internally Sony sees the camera sensor market as dying so is probably pivoting to industrial image sensors in R&D. Thus, easy R&D moves like porting the existing DX pixel manufacturing to FX are more likely in the near term I would guess... but hopefully I'm dead wrong.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    I think we will see a D4x high resolution camera before a refresh to the D810 camera or a new D900 body simply based on Nikon's usual marketing time frame. Although I am not convinced Nikon will even put such a sensor into this kind of a smaller body console. The D810 is still less than one year old now and the Canon monster will not even begin shipping until June now I hear so probably no rush...