Focus is optional.

heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
edited March 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
So we talk like for pages and pages about how sharp a lense is on this forum.. The fact is an image doesn't need to be sharp to be great or even Awesome !

Let me challenge this forum. Post me images of your best UNSHARP or UNFOCUSSED images!

Some ground rules ? same as PAD ..
* its a discussion not only for pictures.
* Multiple photos allowed but be sensible and not post dozens at a time ! :-)
* Parts of the image can be sharp. but comments would be nice - on technique or reasons or conditions or circumstances etc.

PS: http://digital-photography-school.com/taking-unfocused-photos/
Post edited by heartyfisher on
Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Tagged:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2015
    Made about 20 years ago with the Nikon 801, 50mm, very dark circumstances, some beams of light from high placed windows. Is is a scanned negative a little bit pushed in LR to make it visible, digital nothing special done. One of those so personal and rubbish photographs, that I'm the only one who love the scene I think.
    After a Sunday morning training we let the horses go to relax and I took my camera to take some shots. It is the atmosphere.

Simone-0356.jpg

I'm going to love this topic Hearty :)
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2015
    Taken in a luminarium.

The sharp photos just didnt capture the potential feel of the place.. so I went for 1-2 second shots while moving/walking around.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited March 2015
    The Other Guy's Gear

I barely caught the guy's camera. Looks like some old Leica film gear, but it's definitely not in focus.

This is a fairly special photograph for me, as this is just about right before my D40 died. I took this shot in Macao.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    Like many of the "rules" of photography, they can be broken as long as it is deliberate.

Deliberately taking a photograph out of focus is art
    Inadvertently taking a photograph out of focus is a mistake.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
    edited March 2015
    Hi all ..sorry for not being clear enough .. but my intention was for this thread to show that purposely blured images can be a technique used to good effect. For example techniques like panning and tiltshift "miniaturisation" and yes "accidental" blur that adds to the image. defocussed via lensbaby. Camera movement like my first photo posts.. blurred focus "mistakes" can also be good if the content is strong enough. PP is also used these days etc etc.. There are many other examples of techniques .. hope to see some nice samples of them !

Here is a flickr search for blur for a few nice examples.( and a few bad ones ;-) ) https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=blur&sort=interestingness-desc

A quote from one of my forum friends in Australia. "'Misfocus' is abhorrent but 'devoid of focus' is sublime." -- Walter Glover.

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Just a thought.....here is a link to Wiki's take on what I consider to be one of the greatest photo collections of all time. The Family of Man put together by Edward Steichen in the late 1950's. Of course, all are film images, the majority have soft focus.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Family_of_Man

However, the technical attributes of today's equipment suggests we can overcome many of the issues of soft images primarily as a result of the incredible sensors we have now for image capture.
    Here is my shot which shows the scene well, but is a bit soft.
    The Wedding

And of course:
    Distracted Driving
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    edited March 2015
    LOL on the phone ?

Xmas day this deer was asking for "gifts" ..

• Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    You're so right @heartyfisher in that there is an abundance of talk of lens sharpness here. I think the major factor is that most posters here tend to focus (pun intended) on technical aspects of phogography instead of creative aspects. Lately I've been "Pinning" lots of intentionally OOF photos on Pinterest - mostly creative portraits ... and so many are totally cool. I've "warned" one of my daughters that I will start using her for some OOF creative portrait practice soon, haha!
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

edited March 2015
    You're so right @heartyfisher in that there is an abundance of talk of lens sharpness here. I think the major factor is that most posters here tend to focus (pun intended) on technical aspects of phogography instead of creative aspects. Lately I've been "Pinning" lots of intentionally OOF photos on Pinterest - mostly creative portraits ... and so many are totally cool. I've "warned" one of my daughters that I will start using her for some OOF creative portrait practice soon, haha!
    Look forward to seeing some images from your "Bad lenses" :-)

• kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member

BMW M3 in a showroom
  • NoXiNNoXiN Posts: 123Member
    edited March 2015
    it's only a mistake if you tell them it is...

Self Portrait
    Post edited by NoXiN on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Never thought about leaving -1s on images until I started reading this thread. LoL :\">
    It's so good to see others take out of focus images.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited March 2015
    I was running out of daylight when shooting in Babcock State Park, WV. After taking pictures of the Grist Mill I started working the water. Out of focus and cold, about 10 degrees F. Needs contrast and daylight. Just a lousy image.
    DSC_2893
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    Here's one I did on purpose -- focused on the rocks instead.
    Anonymous Skimboarder
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    To capture a mood.
    DON_7897

DON_0671

To emulate French Impressionist painting style.
    DON_0575

DSC_2777

To emulate Modern Art painting style.
    DON_0566a

DON_0565a

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    nice Job @donald

I was shooting clouds. On my way home I spotted the horse riders. I pulled over and framed the shot and timing. I forgot to change settings..

Too fast too slow

Almost all of the nikon 58mm 1.4G shots wide open 1.4-2.8

My little wittle princess
    Those are really nice @donaldejose especially like the foggy misty tree one.

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I took this literally the second day I got my D40. I got it the day before I went to the NY Auto Show, played around with it for a while and took this shot leaving the NY Auto Show on the way to the subways.

DSC_8062

There's a fair amount of motion blur, focus is questionable. I did get it completely by accident though, as I was in aperture mode so I wasn't really paying attention to the shutter speeds.

I also made a terrible noob mistake that day- I cranked up my ISO so high halfway through the event that all my photos looked terrible.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • Tradewind35Tradewind35 Posts: 77Member
    Here's one I did on purpose -- focused on the rocks instead. - See more at: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/4084/focus-is-optional-#sthash.VETwtxr6.dpuf

RX4Photo - you may need some counselling or help of some sort - you had that image in front of your lens and you chose to focus on THE ROCKS........!
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    I normally rip off at least 5 shots per pan in order to get one that is in focus.
    Sometimes its the ones that are out of focus that reflect the most of what I'm trying to capture, which would be speed.

Out of Focus NRF
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    A 2.5 second exposure offers some motion blur:
    The Henry Ford
    Msmoto, mod
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    Some of these "out of focus" shots are actually really perfectly focused. Example Proud Geek's running horse. having shot a lot of running horse photos under similar lighting (mist, fog, evening, etc.) that one is right on so really does not qualify as being anything other than wire sharp. What most of these photos in fact illustrate is less than a really deep depth of field! Which is why some photographers want a very wide aperture lens. I tend to try to shoot wide depth of field almost all of the time and concede that is NOT going to produce the optimum photo all of the time. This topic is a VERY GOOD topic.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    Nice motion blur people and car shot fromMsmoto. Vip mediastar's photo of the little girl is one I almost cannot get due to heavy use of too much depth of field most of the time. The same photographer's horse seen shown immediately above the little girl photo is what I try to AVOID. This topic illustrates very nicely why several point so view can tell a story better than just one.