Vancouver in July...

KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
edited March 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I am visting Vancouver in July, and was hoping to hit a few spots particularly suited to photography:) We will stay in Vancouver for a few days, and then drive to Lake Louise and back. Staying at B&Bs along the way... So, suggestions for photogenic stops?

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    There are way too many spots around Vancouver, and along the way to Lake Louise, to hit in such a short time, where to begin?

In and directly around Vancouver itself, Stanley Park and the seawall are a good place to start. Queen Elisabeth Park is another well known spot. The Vancouver Public Library is known for it's architecture. False Creek, near and around Science World, among other spots in the area. Lynn Canyon or Capilano Suspension Bridge. Lighthouse Park is also a nice spot.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    @killerbob - follow PB_PM suggestions. If you were staying longer, you need to spend a day on Victoria Island. Lots to see and my favorite place is Butchart Gardens. It's a long boat ride (~2 hrs) to the island so going over on one day and returning the same day makes fora 16 hour day. We did that and I don't recommend it.

We spent 2 hours at Butchart Gardens and that was not near long enough. We rushed and had to skip lots of spots. Ideally you want to go to the island and shoot for a day, especially the harbor, and mansions. Spend half a day at Butchart Gardens and then return to Vancouver. You will need lots of memory cards and a macro lens and a widen angle lens for the gardens. Google Butchart Gardens...they are absolutely beautiful.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Photobug's suggestion has merit. The ferry ride to Vancouver Island is nice and Butchart Gardens is nice.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    When I say a few days, we are actually thinking staying in Vancouver for 4-5 days, then take 2 days to drive to Lake Louise. Stay there a few days, before driving back to Vancouver. All-in-all a 17 day stay in Canada:)

There should be enough buffer time to spend time on Vancouver Island as well.
    You will absolutely love Vancouver Island. There is a grand hotel on the island, great for photography and lots of places to stay. Don't forget to get pictures of the totem poles, too.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited March 2015
    Photobug's suggestion has merit. The ferry ride to Vancouver Island is nice and Butchart Gardens is nice.
    Indeed, a trip to Vancouver Island is a very rewarding visit unto itself. I was there for a week a few years ago on a camping trip, mostly on the south west coast, and just scratched the surface.

Let us know when you'll be in town, maybe we can have a met up somewhere for a shoot. :)
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    Be sure to spare at least 2-3 evenings for some night shots/city scapes - if you are into that kind of photography, of course. Vancouver is a great city to shoot after dusk; too bad you can cover only one spot at each blue hour :-). Just remind us again when time nears and we can come up with tons of suggestions.
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    Try to fit in an afternoon at Granville Island. Nice public market / art community.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Take the steam train to Squamish... and get a few cups of coffee from that great coffee shop in the area.... ~O)
    Msmoto, mod
    There is also a scenic train ride from Vancouver to Seattle. Be careful, not all trains run the scenic along the coast. Reasonable cost too.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    Take the steam train to Squamish... and get a few cups of coffee from that great coffee shop in the area.... ~O)
    I think that was discontinued. I looked for it, and at least one of the steam trains is now still standing:(
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    You are in for a treat Bob it's a beautiful place to be come July. Based on your itinerary, I would try to shoot some views of the skyscrapers from one of the bridges downtown such as Grandville or Mainstreet. Gastown is pretty interesting too although it tends to be pretty touristy. It is about 350 miles or 550 kms to Lake Louise so around 6-8 hours of driving. I would try to concentrate on the downtown region before heading out to the Provincial Park. I have made the trip 3 times personally, the views are magical :)