Tablet app just to see the pics?

LareLare Posts: 46Member
edited March 2015 in General Discussions
I'm trying to figure out a way to see pictures that are still on the memory card, still in the camera, on an Android tablet.

I've tried to use a card reader attached to the USB port but my Gallery app won't let me scroll the pictures if I do that.

Any suggestions? (Did a search--if it's been answered I didn't find it.)

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Are the pictures RAW or JPEG?
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    ...and that's why I ended up with a cheap Windows tablet - a full-sized USB 3.0 port. I'm typing this reply on it now, and there's a USB reader in the port with my camera SD card.

I couldn't come up with an Android tablet that had one. I was able to plug a USB SD card reader into one with a daisy chain of a micro-A USB cable and a female-female USB-A adapter. Gallery found and showed the pictures fine for me...
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    eye-fi?
    Always learning.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I can't think of any good ways to display photos on an android tablet other than using Eye-Fi. Maybe if you use Eye-Fi, can you directly upload to Dropbox? You could probably display it from there or from an Eye-Fi app.
    ...and that's why I ended up with a cheap Windows tablet - a full-sized USB 3.0 port. I'm typing this reply on it now, and there's a USB reader in the port with my camera SD card.

I couldn't come up with an Android tablet that had one. I was able to plug a USB SD card reader into one with a daisy chain of a micro-A USB cable and a female-female USB-A adapter. Gallery found and showed the pictures fine for me...
    It seems like Microsoft has the best connectivity of the tablets, but they seem to be abandoning Windows 8 and going straight to Windows 10, which does not bode well for future support of their tablets.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    edited March 2015
    I'm using Windows 8.1 on the tablet right now; it took a bit of getting used to, but it works okay. I'm using it with a keyboard and mouse right now, and it just looks like a smaller laptop. Got all my picture processing tools on it, they run a bit slower than on the laptop, but that's more than offset by the poundage subtracted from my backpack. On the tablet side of things, not impressed to date with the Metro PP tools. Fotor crashes often, Fhotoroom doesn't load my NEFs. Just installed Adobe Photoshop Express; seems to work okay, but very limited/abstracted in its tools.

It's like Microsoft gets on a tear, puts out an OS that they think will wow all (Millennium, Vista, Win8) falls flat, and the next version is a cleanup (XP, Win7, Win10?). Wash, rinse, repeat...
    Post edited by ggbutcher on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    "It's like Microsoft gets on a tear, puts out an OS that they think will wow all (Millennium, Vista, Win8) falls flat, and the next version is a cleanup (XP, Win7, Win10?). Wash, rinse, repeat..."

Absolutely. It's not like, it is.
    Always learning.
    edited March 2015
    More on Photoshop Express: I thought I was opening a NEF, but no, was jpeg, can't see the file extensions. NEFs don't show up in the file selector. Goodling the popular lit, folks seem to think loading to Adobe's Revel then importing to PE does the trick, but I smell a jpeg conversion in there somewhere. Back to Raw Therapee...

OP: didn't mean to hijack your thread; I think I've found my ADD manifestation... :D
    Post edited by ggbutcher on
  • Nikon D600 with the WU-1B, set on RAW and basic JPG.
    Installed the free app. - DslrDashboard - on my Android tablet, Samsung 8.4
    Connect it and set to receive only JPG.
    That's it.

Transporting 20mb+ RAW files, only to view on your tablet is not practical, but if you have time enough.
    I use my tablet as a bigger screen for a photo check.
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • LareLare Posts: 46Member
    Sorry for the delay in responding, had some internet issus...

Anyway, the pics are jpg.
    Although Windows has a tablet with a full USB port, they came out with it just shortly after I sunk my money into an Android tablet, so that's not an option at this time. That said, my Android tablet DOES have a USB port and all I needed was an OTG cable ($5) so hooray for that.

But, Gallery won't let me scroll the pictures unless I load them onto the tablet which is what I'm trying to avoid. I just want to be able to look at the pictures the way I would using the |> button on the camera body.

For the same reason (not wanting to actually load the pics up to the tablet), EyeFi isn't my preferred option, but it may be my only alternative.

But first I will check out DslrDashboard, which I didn't know had an Android app.

Thank you all.

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    @lare i just started looking into dslrdashboard with the TP-Link TL-MR3040 I may order it vs the camranger or Case Remote option.

It's probably the cheapest way to go. I just reached out to DslrDashboard for a special request and they have added it to the to do list. Camranger already does what I'm asking for but its nice that they will work on the request.
  • pe1125pe1125 Posts: 5Member
    I just tried a quick experiment with an Asus TF700T + keyboard w/USB connected to a D7100. When the connected camera was turned on the Android seemed to automatically open the Gallery app and start downloading thumbnails. It took a minute to download the 335 images I had on the card, but eventually thumbnails showed up in an "import" window. Without importing I clicked "done" and got a scrollable view of all the thumbnail's, and clicking on any one I got first the small preview image and then after a moment the full image. I could then swipe to get the next image. Going through a bunch of big image files this way was definitely slower than first downloading to the tablet and then viewing.

My favorite Android app for viewing pictures has been QuickPic, but the D7100 does not appear in the folder list with this app. Neither could I find a way with various file explorer apps to view the D7100 SD card(s) and select files for download.

Fortunately for me I have two other more efficient approaches available: an EyeFi card and an SD card slot on my expansion keyboard. The former is fine for a few pic's, the latter is preferred when I have several hundred photos to download at the end of day.
    Peter
  • LareLare Posts: 46Member
    Ahhh, phooey. I put dslrDashboard on my tablet but can't find my USB cable. Does anyone know if Nikon uses a special cable? (D7000)

It's a regular mini-USB cable.
    Alright So I installed DslrDashboard on the mac and iphone. I had to disable some checkmarks on the mac other wise it would take forever to load and allow me to take the next photo on the d810. well I ran out of time for testing but dslrdashboard did crash and before that the photos were not being transferred to the mac.

I know I disabled image review after capture and load image info for images already on sd card. Im not sure if I unchecked synchronized capture as that is probably why the imaes were not transffering to the mac but then it crashed and they kids were crying.

I'll have to retest again tomorrow but for what I wanted to do it worked nice.
    Tether wirelessly to the mac- auto import the destination folder to lightoom with presets defined if needed such as keywords-auto sync to mobile lightroom.

I have that all figured out and working directly from lightroom with the usb cable but i wanted to do it wirelessly.

Everything seemed to work but then I forgot in order to get the pics on mobile lightroom it first needs to upload the files then download them.

I'm half way there i suppose. Once I change the wifi to my home network the mobile synching begins and at this time the client can start viewing photos on my ipad.

I'm clumsy and I don't want the usb cable solution.
    I just connected my D7000 to my tablet with the USB cable, and I can browse pictures directly from the camera on the File Explorer in the desktop, or Photos on the Metro interface. It takes it's good time to generate thumbnails, though. Interestingly (well, to me, anyway), the camera shows up as a "library" in File Explorer, and not a drive.

Just went to try the same thing with my Android phone, stopped cold at the connection because I don't have that adapter with me.

So, for browsing photos on the camera with a tablet, your challenge will be in the connection. With USB, you'll notice a lag in doing things like generating thumbnail images and opening images in viewers or editors. WiFi requires, well, WiFi on the camera, but in addition the camera needs to expose its files as some sort of network share that the tablet can recognize. I don't think we're quite there yet; if someone has done this, I'd like to know...
    Camranger does what I want the TP-Link to do with the dslrDashboard. Thats what I emailed them about and they will look into it.

Share to multiple devices info here

I suppose once I'm done I can then sync to mobile LR. It's not a biggie but this would be a nice way to setup a photobooth and have people email themselfes the photos or even autoupload to social media vs printing.

I saw this setup once at street booth but I didn't get their contact info.
    I had time to re-test. I have to have image review on which in turns disables the camera from taking another photo until it downloads. This experiment has been fun but It wont work for RAW for me with the D810. Maybe if i set it to jpg for a photobooth than it may work.