Grey import lens repairs

PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
edited April 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I was under the impression that grey imports come with no warrantee from Nikon and I think that is true. I also thought that they would not repair grey imports checking them on the data base .....After a bit of a tussle I got this from Nikon UK...

I can confirm that as long as it is a Nikkor lens then our authorised service centres will repair it, assuming of course that the problem experienced is indeed repairable. Even if the product was a grey import, this would not be an issue.

So I assume that also applies to cameras ...in the UK and europe from what was said so any second hand Nikon gear purchasd will be repaired even if it originated as a grey import....Good news I think.
Post edited by Pistnbroke on

Comments

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    When they say "authorized service centers" do they mean any authorized service center or does it has to be returned to the center in the county were the equipment was bought
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited April 2015
    Well the lens I asked about they said it had not been for repair in any european service centre ..I take it you could send it anywhere (in europe) It also supprised me they dont seem to have a data base of genuine UK Nikon sold items to check if an item is genuine or grey....so if you dont ask for a warrantee repair and its a nikon unit whatever the origin they will mend it. So for a warrantee repair you need the yellow slip that comes with Genuine UK Nikon imports otherwise you pay ...
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    edited April 2015
    I tried to registrar my 16mm fish eye, that I bought from, One Stop Digital, in hong kong , with out success.
    So they do know
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    In the Uk Nikon will repair any Nikon product providing you Pay! Claiming under warranty from a none supplied Nikon source is a totally different matter.
    However this is better than some countries where Nikon refuse to repair equipment if it is not officially sourced.

Seven crossing, I bought a V2 from Digital Rev who have a Uk warehouse and Nikon accepted the warranty.

I believe it's down to whether Uk VAT has been paid.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Take a 24-120 f4 from a UK dealer £719 grey import £489.9 ( kacha on e bay) .the chances are it will never go wrong and if it did I have £230 for a repair , same with a 18-140 £351 V £199 and if you get from Digi Rev no import duty and they will collect ship to HK repair and return for no charge ..Grey rules for lenses ..not so sure on cameras eg D600 although that in the end did work out ok.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    As PaulR said, they will repair, it is just that it will cost you even if it is something that would be normally done under warranty.
    Always learning.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    This seems reasonable. How many people buy Nikon products in countries other than their own? I bought my first Nikon SLR at Yodobashi in Akihabara in Tokyo. While I appreciate that it might not be covered under warranty, I would be offended if Nikon refused to service it.
  • madm002madm002 Posts: 4Member

Lens and cameras aredifferent policies depending on the region. In my market, all lens come with a warrantee certificate that is a global warrantee. We were instructed by Nikon to repair all lens that have that cert no matter where it was purchased as long as you have the original receipt from an authorized dealer. PITA but we do it.

• NWPhoto21NWPhoto21 Posts: 13Member
    Nikon needs to abolish gray market sales.

A Nikon product purchased new from an Authorized Nikon Dealer anywhere in the world should be able to be repaired at any Nikon Service Center in the world under the warranty period for free.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    edited April 2015
    A couple of years ago I took my new D800 and all my Nikon lenses to the Nikon service company in Denmark (DFA) for adjustments. All but one lens, my 105mm, was purchased in Denmark, and the 105mm was purchased in China from a regular camera shop (i.e. I had a certified receipt, and the Nikon warranty stamped).

All lenses were serviced FOC (to my slight surprise), and I asked them what the policy was, and they said; all Nikon service companies in Europe had to accept all Nikon gear with certified receipts, for two years after purchase. They simply accepted the global warranty.

That is how it should be, import, grey import, or otherwise...
    Post edited by Killerbob on
  • NWPhoto21NWPhoto21 Posts: 13Member
    I contacted a major photo dealer in Toronto, Canada and asked if I purchased a Nikon D810 (I assume lenses would also apply) from them (an authorized dealer) and if I needed it fixed under the warranty period in the US (I live in the US) would it be honored. They advised me this:

"If you take it to a repair center in the USA, you will be charged a service fee for the repair or they may not repair it at all."

NIKON needs to cover all warranties worldwide free of charge when equipment is purchased from an Authorized Nikon dealer.

It is time for Nikon to stop this nonsense.

Do the right thing Nikon. Honor your warranties worldwide!
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    edited April 2015
    @NWPhoto21 it sounds reading the reactions of various folks here that the problem is first and foremost a Nikon USA problem. Where did Nikon HQ's new top man come from? Was it Nikon USA?
    LOL
    Post edited by manhattanboy on
    So if I am on extended holiday in the USA with My Nikon camera which i bought officially in the Uk where i live. Are you saying Nikon USA would not repair it even though it is still in its warranty period?
    Best hire one then while in the USA.
    So if I am on extended holiday in the USA with My Nikon camera which i bought officially in the Uk where i live. Are you saying Nikon USA would not repair it even though it is still in its warranty period?
    Best hire one then while in the USA.
    Best bring a copy of your receipt and make up some lie like you are the royal photographer. Should be fine then ;)
    If Nikon won't honor a situation like this, then there service philosophy is offensive.
    edited April 2015
    If Nikon won't honor a situation like this, then there service philosophy is offensive.
    I don't think we have any evidence this is the case
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
    You are extremely critical of Nikon
    It seems completely out of order to post a criticism based on something you think might happen
    I don't think anyone traveling will have an issue getting their stuff repaired in the US as they can always show their foreign passport to document such.
    Here is an entire write up on this subject with many collected examples:
    http://www.bythom.com/warranty.htm
    You are extremely critical of Nikon
    It seems completely out of order to post a criticism based on something you think might happen
    Not sure if you are referring to me, but you will note that I said, "if". If Nikon does not do that (I don't know the answer) then all is good.
    Just as a side issue, I bought a Carl Zeiss Otus lens while working Germany, I live in the Uk.The warranty like Nikon is not transferable to a second owner and the warranty only applies in the country of purchase. In other words if I need to make a warranty claim , the lens must go back to Germany to be repaired, there is no international warranty.
    So be careful where you buy your Zeiss lenses.