sRGB vs. Adobe RGB

KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
edited April 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I was stupid enough to start investigating color spaces, and it is obviously Pandoras box I have opened... However, here goes:

On my cameras I have defined the color space as "sRGB", as it supposedly is more agile. In Aperture and Photoshop I have selected the Proofing Profiles as "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" to make it match.

I am using a Thunderbolt and an LED Cinema Display on my Mac Pro, and they are both set to "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" as well. The only thing that is not aligned is my Canon photoprinter, as it depends on the program which is printing to it.

Am I doing anything wrong, or right for that matter?

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    No, you are doing nothing wrong. If you are shooting RAW, it matters little. The only time you need to worry about AdobeRGB is if you are doing a ton of printing to high-end high-gamut printers, or if you are concerned about displaying a high-end high-gamut monitor (LED Cinema ain't one).
  • WesleyWesley Posts: 67Member
    I suppose if you do a lot of extreme color grading than 16bit AdobeRGB would show less banding.

If every color shade counts than you'd have to get one of them high-gamut NEC, Eizo, etc. monitors as Ironheart said.
    D700: 24-70 2.8, 85 1.8G
    D3100: 18-55
    A7II: 16-35 F4, 55 1.8, 70-200 F4
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    I shoot RAW and JPG. Must admit it is easier to do the small edits in Aperture and with JPGs. Only if shit gets real do I whip out the RAW and use Photoshop.

So' I'll keep using sRGB. A follow-up question though; are their any drawbacks to using Adobe RGB? It supposedly has more colors in the palette...
    Yes, everything on the web will look like crap.
  • WesleyWesley Posts: 67Member
    I shoot RAW and JPG. Must admit it is easier to do the small edits in Aperture and with JPGs. Only if shit gets real do I whip out the RAW and use Photoshop.

So' I'll keep using sRGB. A follow-up question though; are their any drawbacks to using Adobe RGB? It supposedly has more colors in the palette...
    Only drawbacks I know would be not being able to see the extra color palette & muted/incorrect colors on web. I just have it on AdobeRGB & convert to sRGB for web.

For editing, your monitor might not be able to show the extra colors & shades.
    For web, 99% of internet browsers use sRGB & people view these photos on consumer level monitors & phone/tablet screens that show up to sRGB. I think Chrome or Firefox has been supporting Adobe RGB now for a bit.
    D700: 24-70 2.8, 85 1.8G
    D3100: 18-55
    A7II: 16-35 F4, 55 1.8, 70-200 F4
  • JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    Yea. Despite them endless discussions on this topic the answer is actually really easy. Shoot RAW and the RAW file doesn't care and completely ignores the setting. Your software colorspace settings are what counts. If you shoot .jpg than select sRGB as your delivery and process of those images will most always certainly be a device calibrated as such.
  • JCTibuJCTibu Posts: 44Member
    Excellent post!

Sorry to hijack the thread.... but i has a question related to this post..

what about if I shoot RAW always and then export to JPEG to print photos? Should I keep the setting to sRGB? or do I better change to Adobe RGB?

I am using LR btw...
    Nikon D750 - Sigma 24-105mm f4 - Nikon 50mm 1.8g - Nikon 55-300mm - SB700 -SB400
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited April 2015

what about if I shoot RAW always and then export to JPEG to print photos.
    If you are printing them yourself don't make a jpeg use the LR Print modual
    If you your having them printed by a third party, ask them

It is a bit complicated but it is worth trying to understand color space
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
    The biggest pain with colorspace stuff is making sure everything is aligned to use whatever model you choose. Since the default for web browsers, smart phones, and just about everything is sRGB, if you align to that you are usually good. If you want to print using AdobeRGB, then you have to make sure everything in the chain understands that and is set appropriately, or your photos will look like crap.
  • JCTibuJCTibu Posts: 44Member
    Sadly.. I don't print my pictures at home because I don't has a good printer... so in other words, I has to trust the "technician" who will print my pictures and accept the answer of my question "do you prefer the files in jpeg, Tiff or any other format? A: oh yes.. in jpeg is easier to print"... lol

@Killerbob thanks!... now i fell in the same hole of stupidity for searching and learning hahaha
    Nikon D750 - Sigma 24-105mm f4 - Nikon 50mm 1.8g - Nikon 55-300mm - SB700 -SB400
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    As I shoot in both formats (I love the two cards in the D800/810), I have decided to keep everything for sRGB; cameras, apps, and computers. RAWs I edit in Photoshop and if/when I need something printed out professionally, I can easily switch to Adobe RGB.

I am happy I am not the only one, so perhaps there are no stupid questions:)
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    edited April 2015
    I use aRGB because I like the file format naming convention better (_DSCxxxx vs. DSC_xxxx) LOL!!! :D
    Post edited by Hammie on
  • Most printlabs outside ask you to send pictures in JPG format and sRGB. (you can always look that up). Some have profiles for there paper you can download.

I have everything in Adobe RGB (bigger color range) and print till A3 format, direct from LR or PS on my A3 printer at home. For outside printing and web. my last step is the conversion to JPG, sRGB in every format or resolution I want. very easy to do in Adobe software.

For consistency of your photo's I should follow @sevencrossing's advice.
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    As per @sevencrossings advice: "Try to understand color space".

The way I see it: Adope RGB = more color information than sRGB.

The big question is: Will you ever see a difference in real life? And if yes, when?
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited April 2015

The big question is: Will you ever see a difference .....
    From a professional point of view. The question is, can the client see the difference ?

If I send my webmaster anything other than s RGB it might be the last job I do for him

If I want high quality art prints, my Art printer wants AdobeRGB(1998)
    Post edited by sevencrossing on