Got any advice for good all weather backpack for D7200 with the attached 24-70 f2.8?

nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
edited April 2015 in Gear Reviews
I should be getting the D7200 with couple of lenses by the first part of May and in need of a good backpack. I was looking at Lowe pro AW Hatchback series but I'd like to know if any one of you guys have any experiences with that brand and that series.
Post edited by nukuEX2 on
D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,

Comments

• manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Lowe pro is a good manufacturer. It was my favorite prior to ThinkTank.
    http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/streetwalker-backpack.aspx
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited April 2015
    I have 4 Lowe pro bags for different situations, they are all very well made
    Bags are very personal things, so go to a dealer or trade show and try before buying
    IMHO one size will not fit all. You may need more then one

Things to consider
    Can you get at all your equipment, without taking the bag off?
    How easy is it for the bad guys to pinch you stuff?
    Is there space for other things, drink food, clothing?
    Thick back packs, can be a hazard indoors

My favorites the 300 and 400 AW flip side
    If I want to carry every thing, including the kitchen sink the Magnum 650AW
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I like my Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L AW

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/855680-REG

It holds two full frame bodies, or one with a 70-200/2.8. If needed one can rotate it to the front and have access without placing on ground.
    Msmoto, mod
  • nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    edited April 2015
    I have 4 Lowe pro bags for different situations, they are all very well made
    Bags are very personal things, so go to a dealer or trade show and try before buying
    IMHO one size will not fit all. You may need more then one

Things to consider
    Can you get at all your equipment, without taking the bag off?
    How easy is it for the bad guys to pinch you stuff?
    Is there space for other things, drink food, clothing?
    Thick back packs, can be a hazard indoors

My favorites the 300 and 400 AW flip side
    If I want to carry every thing, including the kitchen sink the Magnum 650AW
    My main concern is the security of my gear. Plus, I also need to carry sweatshirts, snacks, (large energy bars) 16oz Energy Drinks or 32oz Gatorade sports drinks I'd take my camera gear to Disneyland too so I need to put that into consideration too.
    Post edited by nukuEX2 on
    edited April 2015

My main concern is the security of my gear.
    In what respect?

Being mugged ? not a lot you can do.

If the bad guys can steal £200 m for a security vault Hatton Garden, you don't stand a chance

Read the small print on your insurance policy and enjoy life

Someone will recommend pepper spay, fire arms etc . If you must, use them to protect yourself, not your gear

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I needed a side access backpack and laptop storage so I purchased Lowepro Fastpack 350 Backpack

however this may be my next bag
    Lowepro Flipside 400AW Backpack

both are under $100.00
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    I was going to recommend the Lowepro Flipside 300 as well because the zipper's against your back. Would be thieves can't simply sneak up behind you and unzip your bag and do a grab-n-run. I've had it and have enjoyed it for a couple of years. As for Disney, then you might have to get something bigger - which brings in the question now much do you really want to lug around on your back in Disney. If you want to enjoy the rides then the backpack has to be left behind in a locker or with a partner. Things to consider. Bottom line is the Flipside 300 is a good one.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

As for Disney, then you might have to get something bigger - which brings in the question now much do you really want to lug around on your back in Disney. If you want to enjoy the rides then the backpack has to be left behind in a locker or with a partner. Things to consider. Bottom line is the Flipside 300 is a good one.
    For Disneyland I'd be carrying D7200, Plus 24-70 f2.8, 50 or 85 f1.8, Spare battery, memory cards, sweatshirt, and mentioned light snacks. And yes I was looking at the Flipside too . The bad guy can't just sneak up and take my gear.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    For Disneyland I'd be carrying D7200, Plus 24-70 f2.8, 50 or 85 f1.8, Spare battery, memory cards, sweatshirt, and mentioned light snacks. And yes I was looking at the Flipside too . The bad guy can't just sneak up and take my gear.
    Your gear is probably safe from Goofy and Mickey Mouse, but watch out for Donald Duck as I've heard he can be a real quack.

J/K of course. In all seriousness, no one in their right mind is going to mug you for your camera at Disneyland. If anything, leaving the backpack behind while you ride is likely the bigger danger of theft.

I would not let the zipper be the main determinant of which bag you purchase; just use a small luggage lock to keep the zippers closed together. I do that for red eye flights and travel through Europe, but it is not needed for Disneyland, for which I hear the ticket prices are close to the cost of a D7200 these days ;)
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Lowe pro is a good manufacturer. It was my favorite prior to ThinkTank.
    http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/streetwalker-backpack.aspx
    Same here @manhattanboy. I sold my huge Lowepro bag and got a ThinkTank International bag with rollers. Love it since it meets US and International airline requirements for size. But I also kept my small Lowepro Minio Trekker Classic. It's designed to hold one DSLR and I can carry a 70-200, filters, SB-800, and two more lens. It's light and quality of construction is excellent.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |

In what respect?

Being mugged ? not a lot you can do.

No, I'm not talking about mugging I'm talking more like some idiot sneaking up to my backpack while I'm warring it and try and reach in and try to make a quick grab.
    I'm talking more like some idiot sneaking up to my backpack while I'm warring it and try and reach in and try to make a quick grab.
    The flip side will not allow them to, easily, get at the main compartment
  • Ryan_in_AZRyan_in_AZ Posts: 13Member
    Speaking of having your gear against your back, I highly suggest anyone looking for a bag check out f-stop gear. My F-Stop Tilopa BC is a dream come true.
  • MaxBerlinMaxBerlin Posts: 86Member
    I picked up some Thule Toploaders when they were half off - perfect for hiking and trekking when you want Arcteryx style waterproofing.

For everyday, I still like my Tenba bags - hold 3 large primes/or varios + all my accessories and spares. I've done 2-4 weeks vaca's out of this bag without problem.

Look out for Goofy while there- he's a known Nikon thief with an addiction for 2.8 FX lenses.
    My non-commercial blog:

https://sonyvnikon.wordpress.com/
  • HerreHerre Posts: 6Member
    Have a look at a Kata 3n1-pl-35. It has easy access to you camera, with the added security of having zippers and clips to close the entries. Also comes with rain and sun cover if you need it. Not sure if they are still sold under the kata name or are now sold as Manfrotto bags after the take over. I have had 2 (first one got stolen when they burgled my house) and bought another onein a second. Excellent build qulity and materials!
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Not sure if this backpack is good for your uses, but it's on sale right now for $30.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/531357-REG/Lowepro_LP35190_0EU_Fastpack_100_Backpack_Red_Black.html
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    You already have this backpack now. What did you get? How has it worked. For fast draw in the field with a modest lens on I prefer the Velocity 6X. Mine came from B&H. For a smaller camera like the D3200 I prefer the smaller Velocity 7X. Back packs handy for real hiking might not be a real safe thing in a mugging situation. I am not even sure how the whole mugging threat came up. I have been in some really high danger settings and never once did anyone go after a back pack I was carrying. Although I can conceal carry a handgun in most places I almost never do.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Yes, an unconcealed handgun is much more of a deterrent and legal almost everywhere.